BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2023, 12:08 AM   #45
Hyksos
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
I have 275mm tires up front on the 747M wheels. I don't experience what these guys in the tread have described. My car drives straight.
What is the brand of your tire? I have Bridgestone on mine. Also, maybe your road in the BC are in better shape
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 01:49 PM   #46
itgaurav
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 LCI 2024

Exclamation Facing Exact same issue , it feels like you are driving in extreme windy condition

Did you got any solution for this problem , got a brand new X5 2024 and facing the same problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
Looking for advice from automotive experts on this thread. I recently purchased an X5 40i with M Sport package. I currently have a little over 1100 miles on the vehicle. An to provide some context, I have been driving for over 35 years, across vehicles of all types.

I am having trouble keeping the X5 in a straight line. It feels like no matter how stable I keep the steering wheel, there is a 1 - 2 degree gap in either direction where the wheels continue to shift and the vehicle is constantly floating between the outer edges of the lane. It is like driving in windy conditions where you have to course correct, except the wind is constant. I had a similar experience with a Subaru Outback after it went in for a steering recall and they messed up the alignment.

When I had the lane keep assist on it would jerk the car every time it approached the outer edges of the lane. I turned off the lane keep assist thinking maybe that was overly sensitive, and the problem is still present. Also, I have had multiple vehicles with lane keep assist and none of them have ever behaved like this. It is more noticeable at higher speeds.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any idea what this could be?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 04:04 AM   #47
milleniumaire
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2018, Jaguar XKR 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgaurav View Post
Did you got any solution for this problem , got a brand new X5 2024 and facing the same problem ?
I'm also experiencing the same issue on a 4 year old X5 with 45k miles. Just started a week ago and seems to be getting worse. More apparent at higher speeds (over 40mph). Don't feel comfortable driving at even 60mph due to the issue.

Planning to book it into a local indy this week. Feels to me like something mechanical is failing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 08:13 AM   #48
milleniumaire
Rep

Just got a call from my mechanic. He can't find any issues with the steering and while test driving has experienced the problem and describes it as the steering fighting against the driver!

As he doesn't have the required BMW diagnostic tools he has suggested I need to take it to a BMW main dealer to have it checked and thinks this is an "internal" steering rack issue, possibly software related rather than mechanical!

Has anyone ever come across this before?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #49
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by valix777 View Post
Hello guys, hello Akin.
I have the same problem with my brand new G05 (40d). It's like you wrote exactly how I feel, with my own words, except that my tire pressure is ok, and I checked also the alignment of the wheels and seems to be perfect.
You said you were going to visit the dealer. Did you solve anything?
Thank you and any suggestion is much appreciated.
I am from Romania, btw .
I lowered the air pressure on all the tires by about 3 lbs below the suggested amounts and it seems to have fixed the issue. I only had the dealer check the alignment and they said it was fine. I have since gotten used to driving it. Maybe it was due to the run-flat tires. I don't notice it anymore. Also, I am now changing over to the BMW iX. I just took delivery last week.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #50
milleniumaire
Rep

Thanks, I do keep an eye on tyre pressure as one of my rear tires has a tendency to loose a little pressure over the course of a few months.

Haven't noticed the front tyres loosing pressure, although their readings are generally low due to the cold weather we are having and short journeys don't really get them warmed up.

I have it booked into the dealers next week, so will be interesting to see what they find. I just hope they don't use guesswork to progressively charge more and more, with each "resolution" resulting in no change as that will be very expensive!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 07:11 PM   #51
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
I had 19” wheels with Bridgestone tires. It was straight as an arrow. I then got 20” M wheels with Pirelli scorpion runflats, I have a similar issue now, not too bad but noticeable. Since wheel package is the only thing that’s changed, the culprit is obviously the wheels. Rims and tires were brand new, so either rims had a factory defect or the tires are a bad batch. Tires are more likely to be at fault here.
Appreciate 1
akin67450.50
      12-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #52
Hyksos
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleniumaire View Post
Just got a call from my mechanic. He can't find any issues with the steering and while test driving has experienced the problem and describes it as the steering fighting against the driver!

As he doesn't have the required BMW diagnostic tools he has suggested I need to take it to a BMW main dealer to have it checked and thinks this is an "internal" steering rack issue, possibly software related rather than mechanical!

Has anyone ever come across this before?
The steering fighting the driver is just the line keep assist, you can disable it in the driver preference.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779416
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:30 AM   #53
avsnorcal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 2024, M5 F90 2018

X5 driving issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgaurav View Post
Did you figure out what this issue was? I have a brand new X5 and am experiencing the same issue intermittently. I don't experience the issue until I have been driving for 40-50 miles and then it will continue unless I stop for a decent amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 07:56 PM   #54
jl_bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 m60

Quote:
I lowered the air pressure on all the tires by about 3 lbs below the suggested amounts and it seems to have fixed the issue. I only had the dealer check the alignment and they said it was fine. I have since gotten used to driving it. Maybe it was due to the run-flat tires. I don't notice it anymore. Also, I am now changing over to the BMW iX. I just took delivery last week.
Update: 3/7/24
After lowering psi about 1-2 than recommended on the door sticker, I can conclude that the issue is resolved mostly. Didn’t have time to get the car back to dealer to be looked by by the HQ tech.

Update: akin to OP, lowering front tires to 33 psi improved the driving quite a bit but didn’t eliminate it, BMW HQ will send a field tech to the dealer to diagnose together.

My 24 X5 m60 has this “twitchy” feel too at 60+ mph, 20” Pirelli RFT. Sent it to a local NJ dealer last week, they checked suspension, alignment, etc everything came out right. The long tenure foreman sat and drove the car with me said he never encountered this issue before.

I’ll ask them to lower PSI to see if this helps, thanks for sharing the tip! (If it is, I’ll be surprised why the tech didn’t even think of tires pressure to begin with…)

In contrast they gave me a 24 X3, steering has no issue at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 02:29 PM   #55
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Lowered the pressure in mine and it straightened out. It’s definitely an odd sensation when you’re driving. Not a fan of the run flats. Should have bought the space saver spare cause I’ll be ditching these for conventional tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 01:07 PM   #56
avsnorcal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 2024, M5 F90 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl_bimmer View Post
Update: akin to OP, lowering front tires to 33 psi improved the driving quite a bit but didn’t eliminate it, BMW HQ will send a field tech to the dealer to diagnose together.

My 24 X5 m60 has this “twitchy” feel too at 60+ mph, 20” Pirelli RFT. Sent it to a local NJ dealer last week, they checked suspension, alignment, etc everything came out right. The long tenure foreman sat and drove the car with me said he never encountered this issue before.

I’ll ask them to lower PSI to see if this helps, thanks for sharing the tip! (If it is, I’ll be surprised why the tech didn’t even think of tires pressure to begin with…)

Let me know what you find out from the BMW HQ tech. I tried to reduce the pressure in my tires and it didn't fix the issue. I think mine is much bigger than that as once the issue is occurring if you go around a turn you can let go of the steering wheel and it will stay exactly where it is almost like it's on self driving instead of snapping back to center like a normal car would. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 01:19 PM   #57
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnorcal View Post
Let me know what you find out from the BMW HQ tech. I tried to reduce the pressure in my tires and it didn't fix the issue. I think mine is much bigger than that as once the issue is occurring if you go around a turn you can let go of the steering wheel and it will stay exactly where it is almost like it's on self driving instead of snapping back to center like a normal car would. Thank you!
What does your dealer say? If they experienced the steering wheel staying in a turning mode they hopefully acknowledged there is a problem.
      02-15-2024, 06:08 PM   #58
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
After I properly inflated the tires, the vehicle started driving much better. I'm not sure the issue is completely resolved, but it is much better. I can't believe tires over inflated by 4 - 5 psi can have such a major impact on how the vehicle drives. I have had instances where the tires were over inflated by a comparable amount in my other cars, but never did I experience anything like what happened with the X5.

I have an appointment with BMW service. I still want them to check the alignment and steering to make sure nothing else is wrong.

I want to thank everyone again for all your help and suggestions.
Glad this was mostly resolved, at least for the OP.

I was going to say tire pressures first, alignment issue second, and then start diving into column issues. These modern Bimmers have lost much of their organic feel, but I can tell when tire pressures are off by only 2psi on my E93, stock suspension and square 17" wheel/tire setup.

I had the G05 on the highway today (standard suspension and 20" wheels) and I noticed it seemed a bit touchy. No issue holding lane center, but I was cruising in Sport mode with Sport steering set. Nice weight on the rack, but seemed over-eager to take an aggressive turn. I switched it back to Comfort and the steering felt more precise and natural for highway cruising, so consider drive mode also.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 01:52 AM   #59
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl_bimmer View Post

What is "twitchy" feel?

Soft, pulling one side or off-centering?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:43 PM   #60
jl_bimmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasehackr View Post
What is "twitchy" feel?

Soft, pulling one side or off-centering?
Random pull to either side at high speed; I believe road conditions matter a lot, on same highway I test drove with dealer, one side of the road the pull is a lot more pronounced
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 03:48 PM   #61
jl_bimmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnorcal View Post
I have noticed this too while making turns on highway exit. Feels like the car is dictating the steering but slowly returns to center once it is off the curve.

I have land change assist turned off.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:51 PM   #62
sac02
Private
Rep
Drives: e30, e36, G05

I know alignment has already been mentioned, but to be more specific - look closely at rear toe.

Too much rear toe out will cause high-speed instability and wandering.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2024, 07:45 PM   #63
JohnWick813
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyksos View Post
It is tramlining, the wider your tire are the worst it is, the tire tread and type of rubber also have an impact. 295 in the front... I don't think they can do anything to fix that, other than downsizing your wheel.

On my 2019 X5, I have 275 on 20" front and back, when I'm on a fresh new strip of road it is perfect, I can remove my hands from the wheel and it stay perfectly straight.

But when I'm on old road it is an other story, depending on how much trams are dig in the road, it can get scary. Now I'm used to it and I have learn what section of the road are worst, usually the left lane of the highway have less trams, you can also stay off center, to not have your wheel in the trams.

Also, when I have put my winter tire (265 on 19") tramlining completely disapeared, confirming that I don't have suspension or alignment issue.

this is exactly the issue everyone in here is trying to explain

i have the same issue with my pirelli p zeros i had the RFT and now i dont have the RFT and both sets do the same thing.

these tires need very smooth track like roads because when im on a smooth surface they are great the moment i hit a rough road they pull i just learned how to drive on certain roads when i have the pirellis on.

Next summer tires i buy i will pass on the pirelli as they seem to aggressive for this car

i also have the 21 inch rims 315 in rear i believe 275 in front

when i put my winter tires on they are way more comfortable to drive on no pulling at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:27 PM   #64
jl_bimmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWick813 View Post
this is exactly the issue everyone in here is trying to explain

i have the same issue with my pirelli p zeros i had the RFT and now i dont have the RFT and both sets do the same thing.

these tires need very smooth track like roads because when im on a smooth surface they are great the moment i hit a rough road they pull i just learned how to drive on certain roads when i have the pirellis on.

Next summer tires i buy i will pass on the pirelli as they seem to aggressive for this car

i also have the 21 inch rims 315 in rear i believe 275 in front

when i put my winter tires on they are way more comfortable to drive on no pulling at all.
What brand are you more comfortable tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:47 AM   #65
jjfairway
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5, 528i

It’s the electronic steering I believe. My 2019 wanders a bit and is extremely sensitive. Some vehicles will wander in the lane with the slightest imperfection and others will track on about any surface.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 02:55 PM   #66
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

I no longer own the X5 where I had that issue. Lowering the tire pressure certainly helped. I had the Pirelli Run-Flats. I did not have an opportunity to drive this car with other tires to be able to compare. I replaced the X5 with an iX and do not have the same issues. Also, we own an X3 and that car also does not have the same issues. I have been driving for the last 40 years and the only other time I experienced something similar was with a Subaru Outback. There was some steering recall and when the dealer fixed the steering they screwed up the alignment and the car was all over the place on the highway. Because of this past experience, my initial thought was the X5 also had alignment issues, but the dealer assured me that my alignment was fine.
Appreciate 0