Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple

Garage List
2018 M3 Comp  [10.00]
2023 X5 xDrive 40i   [9.25]
Cargo Roof Box // Thule Motion XL w/OEM Rails Experience

Just thought I would share my experience for any of those wondering or on the edge of purchasing for an upcoming trip or just for additional cargo space.

Previously to purchasing I did a search and found a few threads which helped my decision so big thanks to all those threads 🤙.

Located in SoCal for whatever it’s worth.

2023 X5 xDrive 40i, msport + extended shadowline in Carbon Black.

Purchased Thule Motion XL, glossy black at RackNRoad in Costa Mesa, CA.

I was set on purchasing Thule cross bars for the lower flush look however to my disappointment RackNRoad was out of stock of the flush kit that I needed to complete the setup. My trip was a few days out and I bought the day before New Year’s Eve so there was no way I could order and get in time. I had to go with the OEM cross bars.

When I installed everything, I read that general rule of thumb was to get the box as far back as possible. The guys at RackNRoad helped me put the box on the rails there which was a blessing because that meant I didn’t have to take the cardboard box with me. After I got home I readjusted the rails and box and ended up about 1.5 inch from the tailgate at full open. I may readjust and get it closer.

The trip was to Lake Tahoe. This was my first experience with a cargo box. I don’t know if it was my paranoia or what but on the way there I caught myself looking at the box through the sunroof religiously and maintaining 80mph with occasional 85mph bursts to overpass a few cars. The box shaking at times is what was concerning to me. I kept thinking I didn’t distribute the weight evenly or tighten the clamps enough etc. I had a snowboard, two carry on suitcases and chains up there.

On the way back I was a little less worried. Still watching the box but less concerned after seeing so many other vehicles doing the same thing plus going faster.

Noise with the box and OEM rails was ok and tolerable. I’d love to hear what it’s like with Thule cross bars that are closer to roof unlike OEM ones if anyone is local that wouldn’t mind a ride along (I’ll buy the coffee).

That’s all I got. If you have any questions feel free to drop a pm or just ask away here! Happy to help.

Pics are from when I installed at RackNRoad and coming home on the US395 around mammoth.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
GerryC1644.50
LDT1571.00
typedcl25.50
1230vani660.00
      01-07-2024, 01:34 PM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I tested Thule and oem. Thule bars are just ever so slightly lower if you actually measure, about 1/4”. From all practical purpose, no difference. The fact that they come in black, it maybe thr reason they look lower. So mostly visual effects.

As for noise with bars and box together, it is dominated by the box. Whichever car you have, it will have about same noise level. Without the box, it is possible that Thule has less noise, it is probably because the bars are “thinner”. But from my ears, I cannot tell the difference either.
      01-07-2024, 02:34 PM   #3
Aussiejem
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e on order

One note to mention, when I had the Thule racks on my previous X3 M40i, I did inadvertently place the front rail over the sunroof - which is kind of unavoidable. The tilt function of the sunroof would hot the underside of the Thule cross bar when opened. Set them back a little towards rear of car and then the roof carrier can be then more centralised. Better weight distribution, better aero stability and can still open rear cargo door to within millimetres...
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 02:53 PM   #4
narudnad
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M3 Comp  [10.00]
Thanks for the feedback Aussiejem and eelnoraa.

Here is a recent pic post trip. Got back yesterday and rinsing the car today before it gets detailed tomorrow for a more thorough clean. With these OEM rails I can open the sunroof tilt with no issues. I am thinking I can go further back, thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 03:47 PM   #5
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

In my testing, both oem and Thule windbar evo allow sun roof to fully function. In fact, thr thule is with a friend’s 40i now, no issue with roof operation at all. They are both tall enough.

I kind of think the real difference is aesthetic. If you have black rails, then Thule ‘s black finish will look more in place if you leave bars on all the time. If you take the bars off when not using the box (what I do), then maybe no difference. Because with box on, the attention is really on the box, not thr bars anymore.
      01-07-2024, 04:14 PM   #6
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

FWIW I don't notice wind noise with just the OEM cross bars on and my Wedge 650 box doesn't really make noise until 70mph+.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 07:35 PM   #7
narudnad
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M3 Comp  [10.00]
Yea I plan to remove the box when it’s not in use as soon as I can make space in the garage for it. And probably leave the rails on.

Would it be tacky to simply paint the OEM one’s black? I did want the Thule ones because they were black and blended well with the shadowline and because I thought they were lower profile but doesn’t sound like it from what you said eelnoraa.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:51 AM   #8
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
In my testing, both oem and Thule windbar evo allow sun roof to fully function. In fact, thr thule is with a friend’s 40i now, no issue with roof operation at all. They are both tall enough.
Seems like the sunroof sliding function would be a lot bigger issue than the tilting? Are you saying the sunroof can lift up and slide onto the roof and it's still under the Thule rails?

I just got the low profile Thule AeroBlade Edge model and am concerned that I'll have sunroof issues--don't have the Fit Kit to install the bars yet.
      01-08-2024, 11:09 AM   #9
Andrewalker7
Shitbox Express
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

My first trip with the setup (using Thule wingbars) was the same; floppy in the wind.

Second trip, I moved my bars to best support the box: rear bar at the back of the rear groove under the Thule box, with the front bar as close to the front as I could. I also made a conscious effort to load the weight like the manual suggested, and it was a breeze at 80mph+, and didn't notice a bit of abnormal shakiness.

Doing so of course resulted in my bars being spaced a bit outside of OE (and likely Thule) recommendations, but they sit level, and all is well.

Regarding wind noises- you're strapping something rather large to the top of a vehicle. While it's not silent, it's not horribly obnoxious either.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:10 AM   #10
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Seems like the sunroof sliding function would be a lot bigger issue than the tilting? Are you saying the sunroof can lift up and slide onto the roof and it's still under the Thule rails?

I just got the low profile Thule AeroBlade Edge model and am concerned that I'll have sunroof issues—don't have the Fit Kit to install the bars yet.
I have only tested the newer Windbar Evo. I am not sure how Aeroblade compare. The fit kit will raise the bar a bit for sure.

When opening the glass of sunroof, the piece that slide go under the roof. So I don’t see how this will be impacted any bars at all. Thr tilt function, where the glass tilt, it is between the bar. Even if the bars are very slow, I don’t see how it will impact either. It will be more of an issue if you put something hang down on the bars, say skis.

Please after you install the bar, let us know how they work.
      01-08-2024, 12:30 PM   #11
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

I have thule aero blade edge installed and there is absolutely no issue with sunroof tilt or open function. Plenty of clearance. You, however won't be able to put the wind deflector (I tried as I had one laying around)
Appreciate 1
tooloud10780.00
      01-08-2024, 12:38 PM   #12
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When opening the glass of sunroof, the piece that slide go under the roof. So I don’t see how this will be impacted any bars at all. Thr tilt function, where the glass tilt, it is between the bar. Even if the bars are very slow, I don’t see how it will impact either. It will be more of an issue if you put something hang down on the bars, say skis.
My 45e sunroof definitely slides out onto the roof of the car, not under.

Quote:
Please after you install the bar, let us know how they work.
Will do!
      01-08-2024, 01:04 PM   #13
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
My 45e sunroof definitely slides out onto the roof of the car, not under.

Will do!
Really, ok, maybe I am crazy. I have 45e as well. let me check tonight.
      01-08-2024, 01:47 PM   #14
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep

One other aspect of the Thule Aero Blade edge that I noticed is that when the front bar is installed on the B pillar I hear zero wind noise inside the car - now that may be due to some defect in my hearing but that's how quiet they are.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 04:39 PM   #15
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I have the windbar setup here from Thule along with the motion xl. The front Is floppy when driving against the wind so u should be fine. I do pay attention to the others on the road and they happens to be the same. According to the manual, you not supposed to drive over 80mph tho but I accidently did it at 90mph at one point and you can hear the humming noise (which u be like “oh shit”).

Aside for the complete look from Thule, you will be fine with the oem……..at least you don’t have to buy the locks separately for oem. Sigh that’s additional unnecessary cost which Thule should come with it with the price that they are charging.

I would’ve gone oem if I knew I have to buy the locks separately. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 08:19 PM   #16
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKBSY8 View Post

I would’ve gone oem if I knew I have to buy the locks separately. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I ended up buying 8 pack Thule locks from Amazon as 8 packs are very reasonably priced - Now I have one key system for the roof bars, box and the bike rack - beats carrying multiple keys.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:15 PM   #17
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
I ended up buying 8 pack Thule locks from Amazon as 8 packs are very reasonably priced - Now I have one key system for the roof bars, box and the bike rack - beats carrying multiple keys.
I see how u did it, u changing the cargo box lock too. Make sense………………sigh, I carried two sets of key.

I went with the 4 pack instead, should’ve gone 8 packs like u did.
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 02:46 AM   #18
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

so I verified sun roof opening and made some measurement tonight. Yes sun roof panel open outside, not inside. Cannot believe for 1.5 years, I thought it open inside, proved how often or rare I open it.

When run roof is fully open the distance between the highest point of glass panel to a straight edge placed on the bars is only 2.5". This would be the clearance if I have a roof box on top. The worst case clearance is when the glass panel transition from tilt to slide. Clearance is reduce to 2.25". The location of this is at about b-pillar. I also measure the thickness of the bar, it is 1.16". This means if you mount the front bar on top of b-pillar, when you sun roof, the minimal clearance between the glass and bottom of the bar is about 1.09" only. In my case, I have front bar at BMW suggested location, about 4-5" in front of b-pillar. So maybe the bars needs to be that high.

My rear bar however, is NOT at BMW suggested location. I found BMW suggestion location makes the bars too close. The roof box has too much overhang on both end, and flexing. I have the rear bar on top of c-pillar, so the span is wider the BMW suggested. This also let me move the box more toward rear.
Attached Images

Last edited by eelnoraa; 01-11-2024 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
tooloud10780.00
      01-11-2024, 10:23 AM   #19
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
so I verified sun roof opening and made some measurement tonight. Yes sun roof panel open outside, not inside. Cannot believe for 1.5 years, I thought it open inside, proved how often or rare I open it.

When run roof is fully open the distance between the highest point of glass panel to a straight edge placed on the bars is only 2.5". This would be the clearance if I have a roof box on top. The worst case clearance is when the glass panel transition from tilt to slide. Clearance is reduce to 2.25". The location of this is at about b-pillar. I also measure the thickness of the bar, it is 1.16". This means if you mount the front bar on top of b-pillar, when you sun roof, the minimal clearance between the glass and bottom of the bar is about 1.09" only. In my case, I have front bar at BMW suggested location, about 4-5" in front of b-pillar. So maybe the bars needs to be that high.

My rear bar however, is NOT at BMW suggested location. I found BMW suggestion location makes the bars too close. The roof box has too much overhang on both end, and flexing. I have the rear bar on top of c-pillar, so the span is wider the BMW suggested. This also let me move the box more toward rear.
Thank you for this exercise, it made me feel better that everything is going to work the way I want it to.