BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2023, 07:04 PM   #23
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I had run flats for around year and a half. No issues. I then switched to go flat Continental DWS 06 Plus. 3 out of 4 have slow leaks that I can top off every week and it’s fine. I have a cordless pump that you can charge via usb c. However, next oil change I am thinking of switching back to run flats - even if I can get these 3 fixed. For me, the marginal improvement in ride quality over Michelin run flats isn’t worth it since it seems that run flats are built tougher, or I was just unlucky with my set.

If I were you’d just get run flats and that should be fine since you are covered by road side assistance.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 09:31 PM   #24
PandaSPUR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles79 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. No easy answer it looks like, pros and cons. The different perspectives are interesting!

I was starting to lean towards the compact spare option, thinking the runflats could get me off the highway to someplace safer to change the tire, such as a gas station. But my wife wouldn't be happy, as she fills the spare tire well with clothes, and the cat wouldn't be happy, as I decided his space in the cargo area would be taken by the flat tire, which means he would need to be in his cat carrier, which he hates and would howl for hours on end. We would need ear plugs.

I should probably also get a plug kit but it doesn't look like fun as in this video

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Xu-pKVrsy1Y
Definitely not fun, I've done pretty much the exact thing as in that video before but had the tire off the car. Much easier to push the plug in when you're standing with the tire between your legs and pushing down with your entire upper body. And dont forget that afterwards you still have to top it up with air, so more time standing on the side of a potentially dangerous road.

But anyway, nails in the tread (the only thing a DIY plug kit can fix) arent a concern. Those are slow leaks and you can drive several miles before needing to pull over and add air to the tire. Its the catastrophic failures (i.e. big gash, particularly in the sidewall) that you won't be able to drive around with or fix with a plug kit.

With all that said, I do have a spare, a 12v pump, and a plug kit in my current car. And I plan to have the same kit in my next car (X6M if my dealership would get a damn allocation).

I've been looking into dynaplugs too, they seem like an easier solution for a roadside plug fix if I ever feel the need to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 02:14 AM   #25
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
If I were you’d just get run flats and that should be fine since you are covered by road side assistance.
Roadside assistance is useless if your in a remote area with no cell service. For those that never stray off the beaten path roadside assistance is fine. However, if you're like me, I take lots of trips to Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Many areas I travel to don't have cell service so a spare tire or a tire repair kit is a must for me. I travel with both.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 05:58 AM   #26
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Roadside assistance is useless if your in a remote area with no cell service. For those that never stray off the beaten path roadside assistance is fine. However, if you're like me, I take lots of trips to Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Many areas I travel to don't have cell service so a spare tire or a tire repair kit is a must for me. I travel with both.
Good call. I've had 2 flats at the same time while traveling, l had a spare and fix a flat. Now carry spare with Airman ResQ Pro or Slime repair, may also have StopnGo plugs onboard if out west.
      03-15-2023, 07:46 AM   #27
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
The odds of getting a flat on a road trip,...and being stranded are the same (I'd guess) as hitting the lottery. I mean, imagine all of the vehicles on the road daily,...and you're one of them and you drove 50 miles in a given day and didn't get a flat tire! I suspect the same odds apply when traveling. I don't even worry about it anymore. Just make sure the tires are properly inflated. For instance if the tire pressure calls for inflation to 45psi,...and they are inflated to 45psi during the Winter months,...the tire pressure will be way higher in warmer temps - guaranteed! Tire pressures will rise in Winter months when driving as well, and also rise from day-to-day temperature swings, etc. So, it's best to obtain the "Cold" tire pressure and go from there. The good thing about the iDrive is that it will provide a warning when tire pressure(s) is/are to low. I'm not sure if it provides a warning when tire pressures are too high. Another thing, if a tire's pressure is too low, the Cruise Control is inactive (can't be set).
I believe top speed is limited too.

As for road trips,...just continue to read the road and watch for junk in your lane,...as odds are you'll make it round trip and more without tire issues. GL all the same...for all of us.
      03-15-2023, 06:52 PM   #28
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
The odds of getting a flat on a road trip,...and being stranded are the same (I'd guess) as hitting the lottery. I mean, imagine all of the vehicles on the road daily,...and you're one of them and you drove 50 miles in a given day and didn't get a flat tire! I suspect the same odds apply when traveling. I don't even worry about it anymore. Just make sure the tires are properly inflated. For instance if the tire pressure calls for inflation to 45psi,...and they are inflated to 45psi during the Winter months,...the tire pressure will be way higher in warmer temps - guaranteed! Tire pressures will rise in Winter months when driving as well, and also rise from day-to-day temperature swings, etc. So, it's best to obtain the "Cold" tire pressure and go from there. The good thing about the iDrive is that it will provide a warning when tire pressure(s) is/are to low. I'm not sure if it provides a warning when tire pressures are too high. Another thing, if a tire's pressure is too low, the Cruise Control is inactive (can't be set).
I believe top speed is limited too.

As for road trips,...just continue to read the road and watch for junk in your lane,...as odds are you'll make it round trip and more without tire issues. GL all the same...for all of us.

And what do you do when you are the unlucky one who gets that flat in the middle of no where when there is no cell service to call for help? Just sit there and wait for someone to come by and send help your way? Flag people down?

I have never made a road trip without a spare or flat tire repair kit ever. I've had many flat tires on the many road trips I've made and have always had a spare to get me back on my way.

To each their own, but I will never play the "Odds" game when it comes to road trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 08:59 PM   #29
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
And what do you do when you are the unlucky one who gets that flat in the middle of no where when there is no cell service to call for help? Just sit there and wait for someone to come by and send help your way? Flag people down?

I have never made a road trip without a spare or flat tire repair kit ever. I've had many flat tires on the many road trips I've made and have always had a spare to get me back on my way.

To each their own, but I will never play the "Odds" game when it comes to road trips.
You may want to get a spare tire. However, just think about all of the millions,...and I mean millions of cars on the road today with run-flats,...let alone just BMWs with run-flats,...which for many models is an entire Series run,...E90,...F10,...F06,...X3, X5, X4, X1, X2,...i3, I8,...too many to list. That said, how many have you seen on the side of the road with a flat tire?

Now, I will be the first to say that you may want to get a spare tire if you're gonna think odds are you'll get a flat. Now, I for one carry a tire mobility kit,...12V air compressing,...tire plugs, etc. So, if I get a puncture I'm fixing it myself. Now, it's a Blow-Out,...then, hey,...I'm at the mercy of a tow truck in the middle of wherever I am.

Don't get me wrong,...I understand your point clearly.
      03-16-2023, 03:09 AM   #30
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
You may want to get a spare tire. However, just think about all of the millions,...and I mean millions of cars on the road today with run-flats,...let alone just BMWs with run-flats,...which for many models is an entire Series run,...E90,...F10,...F06,...X3, X5, X4, X1, X2,...i3, I8,...too many to list. That said, how many have you seen on the side of the road with a flat tire?

Now, I will be the first to say that you may want to get a spare tire if you're gonna think odds are you'll get a flat. Now, I for one carry a tire mobility kit,...12V air compressing,...tire plugs, etc. So, if I get a puncture I'm fixing it myself. Now, it's a Blow-Out,...then, hey,...I'm at the mercy of a tow truck in the middle of wherever I am.

Don't get me wrong,...I understand your point clearly.
That's why I have a spare tire and a tire sealant repair kit. Always better to be safe than sorry. Below is some more food for thought for those that have concerns about tires and flats.

https://autoily.com/tire-statistics/

https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...r-a-flat-tire/
Appreciate 1
aMIC31.00
      03-16-2023, 03:48 PM   #31
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

Thanks again for all the helpful replies, which I have used to formulate a plan:

Our 1000 mile road trips in the States are all on major interstate highways, so cell service should not be an issue. We never drive at night and our roads at home are really crappy, so I'm pretty good at dodging potholes (BTW incredibly I have never had a flat at home). Having a cat in the cargo area and losing storage in the wheel well complicates things.

For a nail/screw type punctures I already have a 12v compressor and can stop as necessary off the highway to top up pressure. I will order a Safety Seal puncture repair kit. As I have runflat tires I should be able to make it to a tire place if needed for repair or replacement.

Blow-outs are rare. Not sure how a compact spare would really help in our situation, as I would not change a tire on the side of those highways. Even if I could get off the highway to change it, it's really dangerous to drive at only 50mph when back on the highway and the range of the spare is limited, so unlikely to get us to our destination.

So in this scenario I would call roadside assistance for a tow to nearest BMW or tire shop for a new tire. We are retired, so we have the luxury of not being time limited, even if we have to wait for a replacement tire, though hopefully not for 275-45-20's. Or I guess we could just replace the flat with an available cheap non-runflat in the same size to get us to our destination and replace it later.

Hopefully this will work out, the next road trip is in a few weeks! Any further thoughts welcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #32
aMIC
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325 XIT , X5 45e

I hope that none of us would ever experience a tire/rim damage on the roads, but i just read about that Caltrans offers up to $10,000 to drivers whose vehicles have been damaged by potholes on California freeways.

https://dot.ca.gov/online-services/submit-damage-claim
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 03:29 PM   #33
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles79 View Post
Thanks again for all the helpful replies, which I have used to formulate a plan:

Our 1000 mile road trips in the States are all on major interstate highways, so cell service should not be an issue. We never drive at night and our roads at home are really crappy, so I'm pretty good at dodging potholes (BTW incredibly I have never had a flat at home). Having a cat in the cargo area and losing storage in the wheel well complicates things.

For a nail/screw type punctures I already have a 12v compressor and can stop as necessary off the highway to top up pressure. I will order a Safety Seal puncture repair kit. As I have runflat tires I should be able to make it to a tire place if needed for repair or replacement.

Blow-outs are rare. Not sure how a compact spare would really help in our situation, as I would not change a tire on the side of those highways. Even if I could get off the highway to change it, it's really dangerous to drive at only 50mph when back on the highway and the range of the spare is limited, so unlikely to get us to our destination.

So in this scenario I would call roadside assistance for a tow to nearest BMW or tire shop for a new tire. We are retired, so we have the luxury of not being time limited, even if we have to wait for a replacement tire, though hopefully not for 275-45-20's. Or I guess we could just replace the flat with an available cheap non-runflat in the same size to get us to our destination and replace it later.

Hopefully this will work out, the next road trip is in a few weeks! Any further thoughts welcome.
As mentioned early in this discussion, I went the full size spare on a hitch mounted carrier. I have a 2021 45e, so no room for a safely stored spare in the car. I did 31,000 miles on the OEM RFs, but did have to replace one at 5,000 miles after cracking it by bumping a curb while backing out of a parking spot.

I ditched the RFs and went to 5 ATs before a multi-week trip to the high desert in the Four Corners of Utah, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico. We did a lot of rough, dirt / gravel roads and I wanted to be prepared for trouble. Luckily I didn’t find any.

Now when I’m home or in “civilization” the spare is in a storage locker and the carrier is in the garage. I travel with a compressor, tire goop and AAA in addition to BMW road assistance. When I’m going to do a long road trip the spare and carrier go back on the car. The ATs have 24,000 miles on them now and the on/off has been done 3 times.

Works for me!.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-25-2023, 06:14 PM   #34
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A tire carrier like that can work, but it wouldn't around here...we have photo tolls that read your license plate. So, that would require remouting the plate so it was visible during normal operation. Since some places don't require front license plates, they read the rear one unless you have a transponder for that road.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 11:45 PM   #35
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
A tire carrier like that can work, but it wouldn't around here...we have photo tolls that read your license plate. So, that would require remouting the plate so it was visible during normal operation. Since some places don't require front license plates, they read the rear one unless you have a transponder for that road.
It’s got a lighted plate holder AND a backup camera!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-26-2023, 09:16 PM   #36
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post
As mentioned early in this discussion, I went the full size spare on a hitch mounted carrier. I have a 2021 45e, so no room for a safely stored spare in the car. I did 31,000 miles on the OEM RFs, but did have to replace one at 5,000 miles after cracking it by bumping a curb while backing out of a parking spot.

I ditched the RFs and went to 5 ATs before a multi-week trip to the high desert in the Four Corners of Utah, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico. We did a lot of rough, dirt / gravel roads and I wanted to be prepared for trouble. Luckily I didn’t find any.

Now when I’m home or in “civilization” the spare is in a storage locker and the carrier is in the garage. I travel with a compressor, tire goop and AAA in addition to BMW road assistance. When I’m going to do a long road trip the spare and carrier go back on the car. The ATs have 24,000 miles on them now and the on/off has been done 3 times.

Works for me!.
Oorah! Semper Fi!
      03-27-2023, 05:24 PM   #37
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

I've been content for years now with the RFTs but recently my daughter blew both right side tires on her X3 so I had to drive the car a few miles to the tire shop with zero pressure on the right side and...it was the sketchiest driving I've done in a long time.

I think I did 6-7 miles with a max speed of 35 and it felt *bad*. I cannot imagine trying to do 50 miles at 50 mph like they say you can.
      03-27-2023, 10:30 PM   #38
mopaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 BMW 330c1 BMW 328xi

I think having a spare (and/or a sealant and pump) are additional safety measures to the run flats. Being on a long trip through remote Wyoming etc where cell service is spotty, service stations far between and with young kids, I’d prefer to have another way to get to a safer location if a tire failed. The problem is space for the tire in the hybrid. I’m also looking at what may be the best way to strap it down in the trunk of the hybrid. Most tire straps are 3 point like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Spare-Strap-R...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

So I’m not sure how it would work with the 4 point trunk loops. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:31 PM   #39
ranchhouse10@gmail.com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 4.0i

Semper Fi DwainA. New here but just traded in a 2015 X3 for 2024 X5 4.0i. We visit southern CO a lot and have only had one slow leak on the RFs. We generally avoid interstates when possible so I ordered a spare tire for the X5 and would suggest one more thing in the suggested list of pumps, plugs, etc. I carry an impact wrench which greatly speeds up a tire change and exposure to side of road. I have changed tires on my truck and no comparison to using a tire tool for nut removal.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #40
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopaman View Post
I think having a spare (and/or a sealant and pump) are additional safety measures to the run flats. Being on a long trip through remote Wyoming etc where cell service is spotty, service stations far between and with young kids, I’d prefer to have another way to get to a safer location if a tire failed. The problem is space for the tire in the hybrid. I’m also looking at what may be the best way to strap it down in the trunk of the hybrid. Most tire straps are 3 point like this:

just criss-cross two regular ratchet straps?

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:43 PM   #41
mopaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 BMW 330c1 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
just criss-cross two regular ratchet straps?
That makes sense. I think I was bent on a purpose made product, and worried it could still slip under the crossed straps. I think the anchors are placed wider than deep rather than square, but I’ll measure them out. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 10:47 PM   #42
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopaman View Post

If I were driving through Wind River canyon or from Greybull up through Shell Canyon, I’d want a full size spare, not a space saver. If you’re going to keep it in the car, then you probably want to put the seats down so it’ll fit. Might as well leave the kids at home. They’ll be safer.

JK - I grew up in Casper!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 11:53 AM   #43
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

There's also a roof rack spare tire option:

https://www.carid.com/2023-bmw-x5-roof-cargo-baskets/
Appreciate 0