BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
FLYSWA
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 x drive 45e

New owners track drive

Has anyone here done the “new owners track drive” at one of the performance centers? Thinking about going, just want to know what the experience entails.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 08:54 PM   #2
Ninja_H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I would say if you live close enough you should go. I have been on their track in NC and it was fun but a little disappointed. The reason been they only let you drive each M car for 2 laps, and it's a very, very short lap. Took 20s at most to complete one lap. And the car they offered was M2, M4, M5 and M8. they had M760 as well but there's only 8 people on that day so they didn't use it. For every car I tried, the track is too small to see their full potential, even the straight line is too short for any car to reach 100 mph. You could push it to 80 or something then you have to break for the corner.

Other than driving on a small track, they also let you drive X5 on a off-road track for one lap. Not interested. Been driven in an M5 doing drifting on a bigger track for 5 laps, and that's all.

Overall, you can get 1 lap off-road experience and 8 or 10 laps of racing track experience in total and it's free. I would say it's a great chance for you to try those M cars and even consider buying it. Me and my friend both were surprised that the M5 seems to be the best one among all four, M4 and M2 felt underpowered and V8 really make a lot of difference. If you are looking for some real track driving experience, just forget it.

That's their NC center, not sure if it's the same in CA
      03-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #3
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
first, there are a number of different "experiences" so make sure you're comparing apples to apples. from what i've been told by a CA, the "new owners" experience is identical to the experience you would get if you did "performance center delivery". i did performance center delivery for my M2C and it was a great time. i did not drive my actual car on their track...but i did get to drive one of the performance center's M2C.

there were about 30 people in my class and the instructors divided us up into 6 groups. more than half the class was driving and X3 or X5 since those are the most popular new cars sold -- everyone drives a copy of the model that they purchased. my group was the smallest because not as many people in the class purchased coupes...and i was the only M car, although there was an M850. so, note, if you bought an X5, you cannot choose to drive an M8 or any other car when you get their. you're assigned a copy of the car you bought.

the instructors rotated us by group through a series of driving exercises design to demonstrate various features of BMWs: handling, braking, acceleration, DSC, etc. these are done on "mini courses" set up around the main track. the closest you come to track driving in the way you're probably envisioning it is on a short course -- probably less than a half-mile -- set up with several turns some slight elevation, and a few cones. dont get me wrong, anytime someone gives me the keys to a car and says "have at it", i will enjoy myself...but i've done a few full track experiences, and this was definitely not that.

you will also get a few hot laps as a passenger with one of the instructors driving an M5. if you've never been on a track with someone driving at the edge of the car's limits then this experience will blow your mind. it's pretty cool to watch and feel a professional driver just thrash the hell out of a very capable car.

you will also have the chance to do the X5 course, which was more fun than expected. it's fairly low speed but does a great job demonstrating features and capabilities of the X5 that 95% of people wont ever actually use. you can also take a factory tour -- highly recommended to see the amazing technology BMW has implemented -- and also tour the BMW museum.

as much fun as we had (my wife also came along and got to drive an M2C as well), i'm not sure that would make the trip solely for this experience. it was great for us since we picked up our new M2C and turned the trip into a long weekend in asheville with a nice roadtrip home up the blue ridge parkway. but if you're going to make the trip to the performance center, then i would highly recommend taking the "new owners experience" credit and applying it to an actual M Track Day experience. you will get lots of real seat time on the big track if you do that event.

regardless of which option you choose, i cannot begin to tell you how well these events are run. BMW treats new owners very well. from the time a courtesy driver in an X5 picks you up at the airport, to the reception desk at the hotel, and especially the instructors at the performance center, everyone does a great job making you feel very appreciated for buying a BMW.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
FLYSWA30.50
      03-19-2023, 09:17 AM   #4
FLYSWA
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I did the PDC pick up and you are right, first class all the way. It sounds like the new owners drive is a mirror copy of the PDC experience. Wife and I had a great time, thought my son may want to give it a shot. I almost feel like it may be cruel to get him hooked on BMW at such a young age .
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      03-19-2023, 09:18 PM   #5
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
See my post here.
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26567242
Appreciate 2
happyjack1657.00
FLYSWA30.50
      03-20-2023, 08:06 AM   #6
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
thanks for this update!

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #7
Ninja_H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
i would highly recommend taking the "new owners experience" credit and applying it to an actual M Track Day experience. you will get lots of real seat time on the big track if you do that event.
you can do that? didn't know this back then and I would've done this and have more fun with it.
      03-21-2023, 07:21 AM   #8
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_H View Post
you can do that? didn't know this back then and I would've done this and have more fun with it.
yes -- source: my PCD instructor told me to do this when i call to book the "new owners experience" since that is basically identical to PCD. i've also read it on these forums from members who actually made the switch.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #9
FLYSWA
Private
Rep

Does the actual M track day allow you to bring someone with you?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 12:07 PM   #10
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
yes -- source: my PCD instructor told me to do this when i call to book the "new owners experience" since that is basically identical to PCD. i've also read it on these forums from members who actually made the switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYSWA View Post
Does the actual M track day allow you to bring someone with you?
so, as a follow-up, i just received my "new owners" experience email offer for purchasing my X5 last month, and here's the fine print (color / bolding emphasis is mine):
*Offer is available to current, original owners of a “New” BMW who previously have owned one or more “New” or “Certified Pre‑Owned” BMWs. Offer is valid for one year after delivery date of a new BMW. A Performance Driving School Course may be taken later, but must be booked before the 12‑month window ends. Offer applies to a “One‑Day Driver’s School” course. Approximate market value ($999) subject to change without prior notice. Limited to one class per year per customer. Value may be applied to any other BMW Performance Driving School class. Excludes airfare, incidental costs, meals and additional charges. Offer is non‑transferable.
so, yes, you can definitely apply the value ($999) of this experience to the M track day if you want to step up the level of instruction and adrenaline.

EDIT: regarding guests, the email is silent on that topic, but on the BMW performance center website it says the following:
Complimentary for you and one guest. Additional guests seats are $299 each.

Last edited by happyjack; 03-29-2023 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
FLYSWA30.50
      03-29-2023, 07:43 PM   #11
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_H View Post
I would say if you live close enough you should go. I have been on their track in NC and it was fun but a little disappointed. The reason been they only let you drive each M car for 2 laps, and it's a very, very short lap. Took 20s at most to complete one lap. And the car they offered was M2, M4, M5 and M8. they had M760 as well but there's only 8 people on that day so they didn't use it. For every car I tried, the track is too small to see their full potential, even the straight line is too short for any car to reach 100 mph. You could push it to 80 or something then you have to break for the corner.

Other than driving on a small track, they also let you drive X5 on a off-road track for one lap. Not interested. Been driven in an M5 doing drifting on a bigger track for 5 laps, and that's all.

Overall, you can get 1 lap off-road experience and 8 or 10 laps of racing track experience in total and it's free. I would say it's a great chance for you to try those M cars and even consider buying it. Me and my friend both were surprised that the M5 seems to be the best one among all four, M4 and M2 felt underpowered and V8 really make a lot of difference. If you are looking for some real track driving experience, just forget it.

That's their NC center, not sure if it's the same in CA
PC is in SC not NC, Greer to be exact. BMW says Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0