BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2023, 07:29 AM   #1
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

BMW Specs on Tire Replacement/Tread Differential?

In December I was t-boned in the snow by a stunningly incompetent driver in our 2022 X5.

It was a “lucky” hit, if there is such a thing, as it was confined to the rear driver door area and just missed the rear wheel.

Body shop did a great job and we have the car back looking good as new as of a month ago. Vehicle has about 13,000 miles on it.

I took the car in for regular service and they noted on inspection that the front tires were both at 5mm and rears were 7mm and 4mm—so one tire was new. I called the body shop and they said once they got into it they noticed that a section of tread was sheered off the left rear tire and replaced it as part of the repair (unsurprising, given the velocity of the impact and lateral movement of the vehicle; it hopped sideways and lifted up).

My question now, though, is what should be done with the other tires? I’ve read and heard conflicting information. Consistently it seems that at least the other rear tire should be replaced, as the 3mm variance is too great. Other information suggests BMW specs say that 2-3mm variance between front and back and too much.

Thoughts/resources the group can point to? Whatever the case, the other driver’s insurance company will be on the hook for this too.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #2
kenya971
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Sorry to hear of the accident and glad you're ok. I can't really provide you much insight on insurance picking the cost of one or replacement tires. It'll depend of the company. What I would suggest in your desire to be made whole is to file a diminished value claim assuming it hasn't been filed already.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #3
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the response--Unfortunately, no diminished value claims in New York. Auto accidents seem to be the one area of New York tort law where the plaintiffs' bar has not yet had their way.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 02:25 PM   #4
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep

Update: After some back and forth, the other driver's insurance company agreed to replace the other 3 tires.
Appreciate 0