BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2022, 08:42 PM   #1
Oligarch
Rep
Drives: None yet!

DIY winter contactless wash tips?

Winter is finally arriving here in Boston.

I've been experimenting with the various tips here on rinseless washing, and got a Worx Hydroshot to use with buckets now that the above-ground garage in my building has shut down the hose connections for winter.

Is there any sense in trying to do touchless washing in winter here?

I'm thinking of:

1) quick rinse off with the Hydroshot
2) foam cannon application of some sort of soap
3) rinse off soap with Hydroshot
4) dry with a leaf blower (looking at this one: https://www.worx.com/20v-air-cordles...r-wg545-4.html)

For step #2, I was thinking of some sort of soap that would have protection built in. For contact washes, I've been using Turtle Wax Flex Wax mainly, but hoping there's a soap that can obviate having to apply that after every wash. Any suggestions?

This is just for my weekly routine. I assume I'll have to do some contact washes along the way, but just trying to minimize those given it'll be freezing and windy.

Is the above doable, or wishful thinking? Thanks in advance for any tips/guidance.

Last edited by Oligarch; 11-18-2022 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 06:26 AM   #2
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oligarch View Post
Winter is finally arriving here in Boston.

I've been experimenting with the various tips here on rinseless washing, and got a Worx Hydroshot to use with buckets now that the above-ground garage in my building has shut down the hose connections for winter.

Is there any sense in trying to do touchless washing in winter here?

I'm thinking of:

1) quick rinse off with the Hydroshot
2) foam cannon application of some sort of soap
3) rinse off soap with Hydroshot
4) dry with a leaf blower (looking at this one: https://www.worx.com/20v-air-cordles...r-wg545-4.html)

For step #2, I was thinking of some sort of soap that would have protection built in. For contact washes, I've been using Turtle Wax Flex Wax mainly, but hoping there's a soap that can obviate having to apply that after every wash. Any suggestions?

This is just for my weekly routine. I assume I'll have to do some contact washes along the way, but just trying to minimize those given it'll be freezing and windy.

Is the above doable, or wishful thinking? Thanks in advance for any tips/guidance.
For step 2 you could try Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo, this is an Si02 based shampoo that leaves a very slick layer of Si02 polymers on your paintwork etc. Bathe+ can be used in a bucket or through a foam cannon, I use both methods. You'll need around 50ml of product and 950ml of water to make up 1 litre of solution in your foam cannon bottle.

The best way in my opinion is after the step 3 rinse is to apply a foam cannon applied spray and rinse product, these are the products that I would recommend, please bare in mind that I'm in the UK so some of these products might not be available to you....
Autobrite Direct Magiseal
Autobrite Direct Top Gloss
ValetPRO Snow Seal
Koch Chemie Protector Wax
Bilt Hamber Touch-On
Gyeon Wet Coat (spray bottle applied)

There are numerous other spray on rinse products on the market too.

If you didn't want to use a leaf blower to dry your car you could do the final rinse using deionised water, that way the car would dry itself and you'd not be left with any paint damaging water spots.

Hope this all helps.

Last edited by malvern_man; 11-19-2022 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 1