BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-30-2023, 10:34 PM   #1
Prohunter
Registered
Rep
Drives: Now m50i

Lost all power while driving

My 2020 m50i has sat for over 6 months. I replaced the battery and drove to the shop to get it registered. On the drive home while cruising at 70 the car shut off and everything g went black. No lights no engine nothing. I coasted to the shoulder and hooked up my noco so I could open the tailgate. Nothing I tested the terminals without the noco and got 12.7 volts but nothing in the car worked. Completely dead. I had no warning lights or messages before this happened. Any ideas? The truck has a little over 14k miles
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 11:56 PM   #2
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

So Sorry That This Happened to You.

Very Scary.

Curious what the Cause & Solution is.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 12:06 AM   #3
maher
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Sounds like the ground terminal connector on the battery wasn’t tightened properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 01:40 AM   #4
Spiker01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 m-sport

Is it possible that it was the wrong size battery and the terminals shorted when you closed the lid?

I have also heard that the battery needs to be programmed/registered. Maybe it shut off for that reason?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 07:29 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prohunter View Post
My 2020 m50i has sat for over 6 months. I replaced the battery and drove to the shop to get it registered. On the drive home while cruising at 70 the car shut off and everything g went black. No lights no engine nothing. I coasted to the shoulder and hooked up my noco so I could open the tailgate. Nothing I tested the terminals without the noco and got 12.7 volts but nothing in the car worked. Completely dead. I had no warning lights or messages before this happened. Any ideas? The truck has a little over 14k miles
That's scary just reading it! Well, you had it for 14K miles and I assume that never happened until you were on your way home from having the battery registered, right? Who installed the battery? I can only think that either who ever installed it did not properly tighten both terminals or something related to the install or something happened during the registration process but that is a stretch since that only manages how the battery is charged but until you know the root cause, anything is possible.
I have the original battery and I was on my way back home from a 5K mile trip a few weeks ago and have about the same mileage on mine as you do and like you doing 70 on the highway when all of a sudden my dash and display went totally black. The car didn't skip a beat though and after about three seconds the dash and display came back on like nothing ever happened. These things freak me out, it's always been electronics on my BMW's that are flaky.

So, how did your story end?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 07:38 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Until we get more info...I'm inclined to think that the battery lost contact somehow.

If you didn't install the battery yourself...then there's a reference that is missing and you may just need to lift the stuff out of the way and double check all the connections.

And not just the connections but the battery hold downs, too! (see pics below from my f06 6 series) The hold down's can be easily overlooked or improperly replaced which can allow the battery to move as the vehicle goes over bumps, around corners, and stop/start situations. This movement can loosen the pos/negative terminals or other connections.

And some battery setups have multiple connections...there can be up to six positive connections and two negative connections...and one must make sure those connections are reinstalled correctly.

Good luck...and post back any updates.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-31-2023 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0