E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Delphi Coil Pack installed

12-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #45
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksjm7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post
@parksjm7 I follow you on the point about indexing, but how ?
I believe there are much better guides out there, using indexing gaskets etc. but honestly, I wasn't up for it and went back to the oem plugs. (I'm not FBO and only push around ~17 PSI at most) I was thinking just mark the opening direction on the outside of the plug with a sharpie marker and slightly over-torqueing the spark plug within reason, to face the injector opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie45 View Post
Hi guys, check out the post by Chris11. He brought up the issues of the oil cap on the engine leaking air into the engine (the top of the engine has a negative pressure). chris11 believes that the leaking oil cap is causing all sort of issues with E90 engines. I have had coil and injector and sensor issues with mine and while new parts improved things, the engine occasionally sounded crap on startup and had poor torque. On changing the oil cap as Chris predicted the car is so much better, done a week, no bad startup, no misfires, more torque and a better sound. Hopefully it continues. It

It only costs 20 quid for oil cap but get an OEM part
Thanks. Do you have a link to his post? and I assume you're talking about the oil filler cap (on top of the engine, part# 11127560482), not the oil filter cap, right?
There is also a separate gasket to go with the oil filter cap on top of the valve cover.
      12-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #46
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

I just replaced my old Bosch units with these Delphi units. i was doing some research on them and found a document about them with some tech info about them. Apparently the Dwell time for these are more than what the DME calls for on the stock Bosch coils. I contacted the company to see if i can get some verification on that. We'll see what they say
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #47
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Update

I see people quoting the old NGK part number which has been discontinued as of early 2015 I think.

The new NGK part number is 95770 ILZKBR7B8DG http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=39947

Discontinued source: https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/...gk-spark-plugs

The specs say they are gapped at 0.8mm but they are not. http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=39947 . I think they are using the old specs from the previous part number

They are actually gapped at OE spec gaping 0.7mm which I have verified with two different gaping gauges, ie coin style and wire style from AutoZone, for all 6 plugs

I installed them last night with a gap between 0.50mm - 0.55mm and all is good . I am currently at 500+ whp 600+ wtq

Now as for coils I found a reputable BMW source that now carries a Delphi like coil which I am thinking of getting instead of bouncing all over the place trying to decide what coil to go with and if Ill get the correct part number and version. Bavarian seems to have ousted all other coils including the OEM and Bosch for their HighPerformance coils http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FQ0XHwod5QMPlw

Will be ordering these to test out also....

Edit: @ All Vendors, some of you guys need to update your site on part numbers etc. It was getting anoying of the inconsistencies I saw and not being up to date with this stuff so I had to go do my own home work and testing.

Last edited by BQTuning; 12-02-2015 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #48
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 07 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedTuning View Post
I just replaced my old Bosch units with these Delphi units. i was doing some research on them and found a document about them with some tech info about them. Apparently the Dwell time for these are more than what the DME calls for on the stock Bosch coils. I contacted the company to see if i can get some verification on that. We'll see what they say
Thank you for this, From what I understand about coil pack dwell, if you're finding that the Delphi coils will dwell longer than bosch, the spark will happen later than is requested by the DME. Is this correct? I'm assuming the effect of this would be retarded timing of the ignition right? Any other ill effects that we should be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #49
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I see people quoting the old NGK part number which has been discontinued as of early 2015 I think.

The new NGK part number is 95770 ILZKBR7B8DG http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=39947

The specs say they are gapped at 0.8mm but they are not. http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=39947 . I think they are using the old specs from the previous part number

They are actually gapped at OE spec gaping 0.7mm which I have verified with two different gaping gauges, ie coin style and wire style from AutoZone, for all 6 plugs

I installed them last night with a gap between 0.50mm - 0.55mm and all is good . I am currently at 500+ whp 600+ wtq

Now as for coils I found a reputable BMW source that now carries a Delphi like coil which I am thinking of getting instead of bouncing all over the place trying to decide what coil to go with and if Ill get the correct part number and version. Bavarian seems to have ousted all other coils including the OEM and Bosch for their HighPerformance coils http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FQ0XHwod5QMPlw

Edit: @ All Vendors, some of you guys need to update your site on part numbers etc. It was getting anoying of the inconsistencies I saw and not being up to date with this stuff so I had to go do my own home work and testing.
Thank you, could you share your thoughts on indexing the plugs? How it should be done on our engines, and would you consider indexing necessary?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #50
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Yes, the 95770 part number is 100% correct for the plugs.

Definitely report back on those BAV coils if you get them
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #51
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

In case it helps, i recently ordered Bmw coils from tischer and they were updated bosch brand. Metal housing like the Delphi, but different shaped rubber tip. I was also getting confused with all the different variants and these seem to be the most recent factory version, in the pic, from September 2015.
Attached Images

12-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #52
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksjm7 View Post
Thank you, could you share your thoughts on indexing the plugs? How it should be done on our engines, and would you consider indexing necessary?
Someone with more experience will have to comment on this. There was no indexing needed on my end with the plugs. After desired gaping, install them with OEM torque specs.

To absolutely verify the positioning of the plug heads under the correct torque specs I would assume you would need to pull the engine head or run a scope ?
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #53
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
In case it helps, i recently ordered Bmw coils from tischer and they were updated bosch brand. Metal housing like the Delphi, but different shaped rubber tip. I was also getting confused with all the different variants and these seem to be the most recent factory version, in the pic, from September 2015.
This pissed me off......lol, cause I just ordered coils within almost 2 months ago and didn't get these
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #54
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
This pissed me off......lol, cause I just ordered coils within almost 2 months ago and didn't get these
Hah, I wrote them a letter with my order asking them to please ensure and verify i receive the latest part revision bc of all the misinformation and outdated info on coils. Seems like these parts are revised every year or so!
      12-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #55
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for this, From what I understand about coil pack dwell, if you're finding that the Delphi coils will dwell longer than bosch, the spark will happen later than is requested by the DME. Is this correct? I'm assuming the effect of this would be retarded timing of the ignition right? Any other ill effects that we should be aware of?

Dwell, for all intensive purposes is "the amount of time it takes for the Coil to be fully charged". This is the point where the Coil is most efficient and will output the most consistent and powerful spark.

Overcharging the coil with increase wear and shorten the life of the coil. while undercharging give subpar performance.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Delphi on their units to see if they can verify what i found. and if not give me the proper information. Dwell tuning isnt something most people do but if there are big differences betweenone coil and another thats installed on a car. it can affect performance of the coil.

EXAMPLE: (i havent reseached the Bosch Coil dwell so dont take number as abosulate here)

Bosch Coil Dwell - 2.0ms
Delphi Coil Dwell - 3.5ms

Result: if the ECU is still programmed to the OEM Bosch Coil Dwell, by design the Delphi unit will never reach max charge before firing. But again, i still need to verify with Delphi before changing anything in the Tune to reflect new Coil dwell.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #56
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
Quote:
Someone with more experience will have to comment on this. There was no indexing needed on my end with the plugs. After desired gaping, install them with OEM torque specs.

To absolutely verify the positioning of the plug heads under the correct torque specs I would assume you would need to pull the engine head or run a scope ?
What I thought would work is basically marking the outside of the spark plug with a sharpie in a way that you can see it after installing the plug. This way you should be able to verify the direction of the spark plug opening.

I assume that as long as the prong isn't directly obstructing the spray path of the injector, there would be no adverse effects.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #57
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
Quote:
Dwell, for all intents and purposes is "the amount of time it takes for the Coil to be fully charged". This is the point where the Coil is most efficient and will output the most consistent and powerful spark.

Overcharging the coil with increase wear and shorten the life of the coil. while undercharging give subpar performance.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Delphi on their units to see if they can verify what i found. and if not give me the proper information. Dwell tuning isnt something most people do but if there are big differences betweenone coil and another thats installed on a car. it can affect performance of the coil.

EXAMPLE: (i havent reseached the Bosch Coil dwell so dont take number as abosulate here)

Bosch Coil Dwell - 2.0ms

Result: if the ECU is still programmed to the OEM Bosch Coil Dwell, by design the Delphi unit will never reach max charge before firing. But again, i still need to verify with Delphi before changing anything in the Tune to reflect new Coil dwell.
I see - so instead of the timing of the spark being delayed, the charge will be fired before full strength is reached and hence the spark will not be as powerful as it should be. Thank you for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #58
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Bosch Coil Dwell - 2.0ms

The DME should be adaptive to this though to know what the dwell time is on the coil ? If Im not mistaken dont coils have an I/O communication board built into them ? If yes, then the logic in the DME will auto adapt to this.

This all being said we dont know what the dwell time is on the newer Bosch coils part # 12138657273 posted above by Jklad since it is mimicking the Delhi coil also.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #59
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Generally the point behind Spark plug indexing is the process of pointing the back of the ground strap away from the exhaust port leaving the open end facing the exhaust port.

To do this you need Copper spacing washers. There are kits for them that have the washers in different thickness that allows rotation of the plug different degrees.

You want to buy a couple extra plugs for indexing because the threads are never the same. Mark the back of the plug lengthwise to the top with permanent marker in line with the back of the ground strap. then using the spacers get that mark opposite of the exhaust valve/port.

Thats it in a nutshell. No pulling the head. Indexing works and is a cheap ignition improvement

EDIT: i use this tool.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/al...FYEfHwodd5MMbQ

And the Indexing washers....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...FYL1HwodpocHGA

Last edited by TGNY 335; 12-02-2015 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #60
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Be cautious in regards to those BAV coils , I read somewhere they are china made and dont last that long , one guy had obvious issues with these.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #61
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post
Be cautious in regards to those BAV coils , I read somewhere they are china made and dont last that long , one guy had obvious issues with these.
Yea, thanks for the heads up. I sent Bavarian an email like 3 days ago as to some tech info on their coils that I needed to know before risking the chance. They still up to now have not responded, so I will leave the idea in the ditch.

Jklad posted the new updated Bosh part# so thats the direction I am going to go for sure. I am so damn pissed I bought brand new Bosch coils, the previous part number, and they already failed on me and its been barely two months just when Im finally getting ready to go back on the dyno...sigh, more delays.....

It it what it is, oh well time to spend more money again.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 03:52 AM   #62
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

I got work quickly from them when I confronted them with what I heard , they confirm they are china made , but insist they are good quality....
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #63
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Buraq or one of the other folks any update on your Coils. So which one is the right choice I am so confused as to which one is a good choice for a tuned N54. Is the new Bosh version the best, or Delphi version and if Delphi version than which one GN10571 or GN10328.....
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #64
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Buraq or one of the other folks any update on your Coils. So which one is the right choice I am so confused as to which one is a good choice for a tuned N54. Is the new Bosh version the best, or Delphi version and if Delphi version than which one GN10571 or GN10328.....
if you run the delphi coils, run the gn10571
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #65
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
The follow up thread is here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202250 this is non related to the Delphi coils but to the new BMW branded Eldor coils which replaced the BMW branded Bosch coils . I am running them right now flawlessly with the new NGK plugs
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #66
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Thank you guys
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0