BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2023, 02:51 PM   #1
no7thgear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Lowering springs causing chassis a 4x4 malfunction?

Hey guys,

Had a shop install the Dinan lowering springs. Now I have 4x4 malfunction, chassis error, drivetrain error and one or 2 more similar ones.

The shop did tell me that one of the speed sensors on the wheel appears to have failed. They're unsure if this is what's causing the errors. One side tests out, other side does not.

The car will now shift up on it's own and not allow me to select m1 or m2.

Does anyone know if a speed sensor can cause this or do you need to reprogram the car once you lower it?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 03:08 PM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Sounds like the shop screwed up your install and you need to have them resolve it but seems like they're saying you should limp it over to the dealership and have them resolve a problem that the dealer didn't create. Dealer may then say well this isn't under warranty because you did this install somewhere else and it Technician error then you have to contact Dinan to get involved since they claim they cover and they'll probably say the shop may have goofed and you're back to square one having the shop address their errors. You didn't come in with faults you shouldn't leave with faults/mfc.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 03:15 PM   #3
no7thgear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

They suggested doing the speed sensor as they believe that is causing the issues but I told them I prefer to take it somewhere else now because I don't trust them. They normally work on Ferraris and Lambos, I guess newer BMWs don't go over well.

I was hoping someone here would say yes speed sensor can cause those issues. Or definitely not, there are steps separate from just mechanically installing the springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 03:48 AM   #4
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 911, F95 X5M Competition

Shop screwed up....shop fix....End.
Appreciate 1
lexttu61.00
      04-05-2023, 07:59 AM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by no7thgear View Post
They normally work on Ferraris and Lambos,
If they're not familiar with BMW they should have turned away the work or if they typically work on something other than your vehicle you should have looked elsewhere.
In any event, if you didn't drive in with the errors you should not have left with them.
Shop is at fault and they should repair.
Appreciate 1
lexttu61.00
      04-05-2023, 09:49 AM   #6
lexttu
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2023 330i, 1999 C43

Haven't heard of these issues with any lowering springs so I'm curious what they did! Hopefully they will make it right, good luck.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      04-05-2023, 10:26 AM   #7
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Sounds to me like a sensor issue. Not sure if it's the speed sensor or not but the drive train uses data from a variety of sensors related to suspension and wheels so it seems logical that there's a sensor problem. If all they did was install lowering springs, then I'd start troubleshooting in that area.

Also, you should have them replace the speed sensor at their expense if they think it's not working. Not a big deal and worth a try. Like others have said, you went in without an issue and left with one. If they replace the sensor and all is well,youre good. If there's still an issue, take it to the dealer and inform the install shop they will be paying for the dealer diagnosis. I'm sure they can scan the codes and see what sensor is defective, if any. Then you can figure out your next moves. Your dealer may repair the issue under warranty regardless of the springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 10:27 AM   #8
Ledbetterjw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5M Competition

Sounds like they damaged a sensor during install.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 04:38 PM   #9
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW F95 X5 M competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by no7thgear View Post
Hey guys,

Had a shop install the Dinan lowering springs. Now I have 4x4 malfunction, chassis error, drivetrain error and one or 2 more similar ones.

The shop did tell me that one of the speed sensors on the wheel appears to have failed. They're unsure if this is what's causing the errors. One side tests out, other side does not.

The car will now shift up on it's own and not allow me to select m1 or m2.

Does anyone know if a speed sensor can cause this or do you need to reprogram the car once you lower it?
I feel your pain as I just got my X5M back from getting a whole lot of exterior cosmetic work done and now getting chassis function restricted error. They took off bumpers off for ppf and lip kit and also painted brake calipers. Hope that shop resolves your issue and that my shop also resolved mine. The burdens of having aftermarket work done!
      07-12-2023, 11:28 AM   #10
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC | '20 Z4

It’s interesting that they would think to test the sensor in the first place… does it physically looked mangled?