12-06-2020, 02:09 AM   #155
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Nope, just drive around like normal and it will be transferred to the vehicle over time. Once it is done you will get notified that it is ready to install.
Cool thanks mate. Only just coming out of lockdown in the UK so not driven much and was hoping to shortcut it. Oh well guess it'll wait til my next long drive for Christmas week!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:12 AM   #156
marcpitt
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I received my car just two weeks ago. The first night it did an OTA update to 07/2020.54.

Now I am waiting to see if 11/2020 comes. Can someone explain to me why it takes so long to search for software upgrades? Today I kicked off that process manually and it has been running for at least 15 minutes. I assumed the process would be like.... car computer prepares and sends a small KB size message to the server including VIN, current software version and maybe some other strings like if there any faults or some secret key. Then the server checks if there is a new version available and maybe runs the random number generator mentioned above. Then sends message back to the car with yes or no and the new version number. That should take less than a minute right?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:15 AM   #157
bunneyears
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 (2019) G05 X40i M Sport

Unhappy

Quote:
OTAs were only introduced with iDrive 7 no matter where you were located. As far as specific versions of iDrive 7 are concerned, they are all able to get the OTAs and we have had folks running anything from 03/2019.xx to 07/2020.xx receive them.
somewhat similar situation here, my 2019 G05 is still on the 2019 version and when i search for an update from the car it says it is latest

when i asked the dealer he said they would do it only if i have a issue with the current version, which was strange to me. i hope to get a notification for the OTA hopefully soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #158
Kamranlpr2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G06 2020

i need some information. i was wondering if any one can help.what is the i-step? is it the dealer update?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #159
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamranlpr2 View Post
i need some information. i was wondering if any one can help.what is the i-step? is it the dealer update?
I-STEP is the formal car software bundle as developed and packaged by BMW. "I" in I-STEP stands for integration, hence we talk about a bundle of, rather than discrete, software images. I-STEP LEVEL (sometimes called I-LEVEL) is the version of that bundle. The bundle contains update firmware/software for 1 or more (typically many more) ECUs on a particular car software platform. I-STEP MAIN SERIES is the designation of that car software platform; S18A is the main series for G05, G06, and G07 as well as F95 and F96 although the F95/F96 is not yet confirmed as S18A in my mind.

I-STEP LEVEL for G05 takes the form of S18A-yy-mm-5vv where yy=2 digit year of major release, mm=2 digit month (only 03, 07, or 11) of major release, and vv=minor release number within the major release. I don't personally know what the "5" represents. When translated to customer readable form in the car, that looks like mm/yyyy.vv where mm and vv are per above and yyyy=4 digit year matching yy above.
      12-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #160
Kamranlpr2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
I-STEP is the formal car software bundle as developed and packaged by BMW. I-STEP LEVEL (sometimes called I-LEVEL) is the version of that bundle. The bundle contains update firmware/software for 1 or more (typically many more) ECUs on a particular car software platform. I-STEP MAIN SERIES is the designation of that car software platform; S18A is the main series for G05, G06, and G07 as well as F95 and F96 although the F95/F96 is not yet confirmed as S18A in my mind.

I-STEP LEVEL for G05 takes the form of S18A-yy-mm-5vv where yy=2 digit year of major release, mm=2 digit month (only 03, 07, or 11) of major release, and vv=minor release number within the major release. I don't personally know what the "5" represents. When translated to customer readable form in the car, that looks like mm/yyyy.vv where mm and vv are per above and yyyy=4 digit year matching yy above.
Thank you for your information, i have G06 in our country we don't have connected drive so I can't see my i drive softy version , i have checked istep version in the esys it's showing S18-20-07-560 so is it like OTA software version? It's mean my idrive is in 07/20/60? Am I correct? If not how can i check my idrive software version?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #161
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I-STEP is the formal car software bundle as developed and packaged by BMW. I-STEP LEVEL (sometimes called I-LEVEL) is the version of that bundle. The bundle contains update firmware/software for 1 or more (typically many more) ECUs on a particular car software platform. I-STEP MAIN SERIES is the designation of that car software platform; S18A is the main series for G05, G06, and G07 as well as F95 and F96 although the F95/F96 is not yet confirmed as S18A in my mind.

Thank you for your information, i have G06 in our country we don't have connected drive so I can't see my i drive softy version , i have checked istep version in the esys it's showing S18-20-07-560 so is it like OTA software version? It's mean my idrive is in 07/20/60? Am I correct? If not how can i check my idrive software version?
It means your iDrive is 07/2020.60.

Actually that version is a little ahead of the most recent reported OTA update, which I believe is still the title of this thread. The current available (to ISTA+ programmers and dealers, not OTA) is S18A-20-11-542 and it would read as 11/2020.42 if you ever find that in your iDrive Car/Settings/General Settings/Remote Software Update.
      12-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #162
Kamranlpr2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually that version is a little ahead of the most recent reported OTA update, which I believe is still the title of this thread. The current available (to ISTA+ programmers and dealers, not OTA) is S18A-20-11-542 and it would read as 11/2020.42 if you ever find that in your iDrive Car/Settings/General Settings/Remote Software Update.
Remote software update is missing in my car because we don't have connected drive here. One more question in the picture there are two part current and last. Current is current last is privies one?
And this version is for all ECUs?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #163
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Remote software update is missing in my car because we don't have connected drive here. One more question in the picture there are two part current and last. Current is current last is privies one?
Your guess is as good as mine what previous means and my guess is the same yours. The most important ones are the shipped and the current. Why current is important is obvious, but shipped is important as that is sometimes used as a criteria for functionality, coding, and updates — some features that work in later cars may not be available (incompatible or different) for earlier shipped cars and I believe shipped version is used for these kinds of decisions. @ifr can correct me if that's imprecise.
      12-07-2020, 01:49 AM   #164
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpitt View Post
I received my car just two weeks ago. The first night it did an OTA update to 07/2020.54.

Now I am waiting to see if 11/2020 comes. Can someone explain to me why it takes so long to search for software upgrades? Today I kicked off that process manually and it has been running for at least 15 minutes. I assumed the process would be like.... car computer prepares and sends a small KB size message to the server including VIN, current software version and maybe some other strings like if there any faults or some secret key. Then the server checks if there is a new version available and maybe runs the random number generator mentioned above. Then sends message back to the car with yes or no and the new version number. That should take less than a minute right?
The latest version OTA = 07/2020.XX that is the version with android auto. I got 11/2019 OTA somewhere in april and I'm still on that version. I checked multiples time from the iDrive but no updates available Really waiting for the android auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #165
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

A follow up to my earlier post, my car has been stuck in this mode for weeks now, not sure how to progress the installation.... Any ideas?
Attached Images

12-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #166
Kamranlpr2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your guess is as good as mine what previous means and my guess is the same yours. The most important ones are the shipped and the current. Why current is important is obvious, but shipped is important as that is sometimes used as a criteria for functionality, coding, and updates — some features that work in later cars may not be available (incompatible or different) for earlier shipped cars and I believe shipped version is used for these kinds of decisions. @ifr can correct me if that's imprecise.
Thank you for your useful information. Is there any way to read istep version of any ECU separately?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #167
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Thank you for your useful information. Is there any way to read istep version of any ECU separately?
I'm sure LexxM3 will chime in if I'm incorrect but there is no separate version by ECU.
      12-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #168
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure LexxM3 will chime in if I'm incorrect but there is no separate version by ECU.
I think there are version designations for each ECU firmware image, but I haven't spent any time decoding those. For example, per ECU NCD files (the files containing FDL parameters we code) are named in a particular way that sure looks a lot like versions. If one assumes (correctly or incorrectly) that those match 1:1 actual firmware images, this could be one way to extract per ECU image version numbers — read all NCD in ESys and look at the file names. There is probably a version number coded internal to each file as well.

A more direct way would be using ISTA+, I guess, but I haven't gotten into that in earnest as I have WAY too many hobbies as it is.

Each individual ECU firmware version would not be called "I-STEP", by the way. I-STEP specifically refers to the INTEGRATION bundle.
      12-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #169
TheHitchhiker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
The latest version OTA = 07/2020.XX that is the version with android auto. I got 11/2019 OTA somewhere in april and I'm still on that version. I checked multiples time from the iDrive but no updates available Really waiting for the android auto.
Mine is the same way and on my last service visit I brought this up to the service advisor. He didn't know so he called a BMW Genius to take a look at it. He was also surprised because he has seen 2020 versions on most other X5s. But he looked at some stuff and said for my car on BMW systems it also shows 11/2019 is the latest one available for the build. I don't know how accurate that assessment is, but it may be that certain model years or builds get updates at different times?

Past: 2016 F10 550i M-Sport ~ 2015 F83 M4 Convertible ~ 2013 F30 335i M-Sport ~ 2006 E85 Z4 30i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #170
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I think there are version designations for each ECU firmware image, but I haven't spent any time decoding those. For example, per ECU NCD files (the files containing FDL parameters we code) are named in a particular way that sure looks a lot like versions. If one assumes (correctly or incorrectly) that those match 1:1 actual firmware images, this could be one way to extract per ECU image version numbers — read all NCD in ESys and look at the file names. There is probably a version number coded internal to each file as well.

A more direct way would be using ISTA+, I guess, but I haven't gotten into that in earnest as I have WAY too many hobbies as it is.

Each individual ECU firmware version would not be called "I-STEP", by the way. I-STEP specifically refers to the INTEGRATION bundle.
Thanks LexxM3 , that was much better than my one liner which was trying to say what your last line said.
LexxM31698.50
      12-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #171
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

*sigh*

I can't wait for the day that my car says there's a software update. Until then, I will continue thinking that the issue is that my CD account shows "remote software upgrade isn't available for this vehicle" despite saying it's subscribed up above.
      12-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #172
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
*sigh*

I can't wait for the day that my car says there's a software update. Until then, I will continue thinking that the issue is that my CD account shows "remote software upgrade isn't available for this vehicle" despite saying it's subscribed up above.
I believe everyone's account is like that. It is not a great design but seems to mean it is currently not available for purchase since you are already subscribed.
Attached Images

timmahh483.00
      12-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #173
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
I believe everyone's account is like that. It is not a great design but seems to mean it is currently not available for purchase since you are already subscribed.
Ah, that makes a certain German amount of sense!

I think I'm on 03/2019 or something, but I check it pretty often. Hopefully soon then.
      12-10-2020, 08:01 AM   #174
bodybybalco86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

Got notified via Connected App a software update is available for me. Going from 11/2019.70 to 07.2020.80

Been waiting for android auto for an extremely long time now.

Location MA, USA
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #175
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybybalco86 View Post
Got notified via Connected App a software update is available for me. Going from 11/2019.70 to 07.2020.80

Been waiting for android auto for an extremely long time now.

Location MA, USA
Same here...Phoenix AZ
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #176
007bandido
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 30D M

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyb View Post
A follow up to my earlier post, my car has been stuck in this mode for weeks now, not sure how to progress the installation.... Any ideas?
I had the same problem and the issue was the level of charge of the battery. Try to drive for an hour in highway or use a charger during a night. It works for me !
Appreciate 0