Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d G05

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
30d vs 40d Real Life Economy

Hello guys,

I hope you're keeping well. Im pretty sure a lot of you are in the US so not much advice can be given but for those in Europe it will be helpful.

So simply a bit of my story - 3 years driving 30d F15, upgraded to G05 for a year and got tempted to try 911. was in the position to buy it, so I sold X5 and got 911 C4S 991.2 and after two weeks of fun I decided this must go for something more comfortable but still sporty and smaller than X5 - the choice was 2022 Macan S on the cost of £4k lost after hard negotiation with the dealer. Now after driving Macan for a month I decided that this is end of the Porsche game for me. BMW is the thing - much nicer cars, much better tech, more comfy and logical (in case somebody is considering to move to Porsche im happy to share my experience). So, to the point.... Today I have visited the BMW dealer and was looking for my perfect spec (better than 30d G05) X5 and the one I found was 40d. My preferred engine is 30d - I feel like this is a sweet spot but none of them available, however there is a 40d slightly more expensive but amazing 40d.
Anyone has real life experience with it? Looking for a real life running costs and some comments that will make my decision easier.

for a reference photos of my recent cars (2x X5's | 911 | Macan S)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 02:23 AM   #2
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d, G05 40d

Hi Media,

I might be able to help a little, I got a 30d loaner for the day when I was deciding on what car to get (X5, Merc GLE etc) and ended up getting the 40d (arrived in March). Difference in 30d v 40d engine were quite noticeable to me, 40d is quite effortless in comparison, lots more power available at all rev bands and much quieter because of this, I very rarely need to put my foot to the floor to make swift progress which also helps with fuel consumption. In comparison the 30d just felt like it struggled a little when pushed, still a great engine and way better than any comparable engine from other brands though.

In terms of the fuel consumption, I would say it is not as good as it BMW's official figures that's for sure and I was left a little disappointed in how carefully I was having to drive just to get anything close to decent economy.
It's just ticked over 5,000 miles and I have seen a marked improvement though. I took a 111 mile trip up to Stockport on Wednesday for example and got 46mpg using eco pro the whole time and barely going over 77mph which is about 4mpg than I was getting when I did the same trips soon after getting it. Traffic wasn't to bad and there was maybe 75% motorway.

One thing to mention, I got the 7 seat version and have used it a few times now so the decision to get the 40d was in part for the extra power so that hauling extra passengers around doesn't make for a strained experience.

Overall, no regrets with the 40d, exactly what I was after, slightly disappointed with the economy but that's getting better with engine wear in and hopefully will continue to improve

Hope this helps, if you have any questions just shout
Appreciate 1
medialook104.00
      07-02-2022, 05:40 AM   #3
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShakes View Post
Hi Media,

I might be able to help a little, I got a 30d loaner for the day when I was deciding on what car to get (X5, Merc GLE etc) and ended up getting the 40d (arrived in March). Difference in 30d v 40d engine were quite noticeable to me, 40d is quite effortless in comparison, lots more power available at all rev bands and much quieter because of this, I very rarely need to put my foot to the floor to make swift progress which also helps with fuel consumption. In comparison the 30d just felt like it struggled a little when pushed, still a great engine and way better than any comparable engine from other brands though.

In terms of the fuel consumption, I would say it is not as good as it BMW's official figures that's for sure and I was left a little disappointed in how carefully I was having to drive just to get anything close to decent economy.
It's just ticked over 5,000 miles and I have seen a marked improvement though. I took a 111 mile trip up to Stockport on Wednesday for example and got 46mpg using eco pro the whole time and barely going over 77mph which is about 4mpg than I was getting when I did the same trips soon after getting it. Traffic wasn't to bad and there was maybe 75% motorway.

One thing to mention, I got the 7 seat version and have used it a few times now so the decision to get the 40d was in part for the extra power so that hauling extra passengers around doesn't make for a strained experience.

Overall, no regrets with the 40d, exactly what I was after, slightly disappointed with the economy but that's getting better with engine wear in and hopefully will continue to improve

Quote:
Hi Media,

Thanks Billy. Just to point out I was very happy with fuel economy in 30d g05. The f15 was slightly better but it was also smaller. I think even worse economy will be better than Macan s which on short trips is giving me approx 18-19mpg - eye watering
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medialook View Post
Quote:
Hi Media,

Quote:
Hi Media,

Thanks Billy. Just to point out I was very happy with fuel economy in 30d g05. The f15 was slightly better but it was also smaller. I think even worse economy will be better than Macan s which on short trips is giving me approx 18-19mpg - eye watering
No problem Media.

Apologies, having re read my comments, it probably wasn't uber clear which engine I was commenting on economy wise, it was purely based on the 40d. The 30d loaner I had, I only had for the day and as I was given a full tank to use as I pleased, I made sure I used it and wasn't especially frugal with making it last so I wouldn't be able to say how economical it was but I'm sure it will be a few mpg better than my 40d that's for sure.

Macan S I suspect isn't built for economy lol, I bet it is a hell of an engine to enjoy!

All the best with your decision 👍🏼
Appreciate 1
medialook104.00
      07-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #5
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Hey Billy. Thanks for kind words. After all I pulled the trigger for the 30d. First reserved 40d which was available right away, but it turned out it had Harman Kardon deletion - sound is important for me. So, dealer found me alternative that arrives in September it doesn't have laser lights but even the standard ones were amazing in my previous G05.

Really nice spec that has Tech Pack Pro, Comfort pack, M Sport Pack Pro, Sky Lounge, Crafted Clarity Controls, 22 inch black wheels, Black Merino leather, Mineral White and Piano Black Trim (not happy about that as the 40d had Carbon Fibre which I prefer but it's always a compromise). And it's £60 per mont cheaper vs 40d and better fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 05:18 PM   #6
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi Media,

Hey Billy - so what's your total average consumption? I just found stunning 40d - considering to switch my order to this but its 10k extra - in retrain I would get a better engine (40d vs 30d), laser lights, leather dashboard (reserved one has sensatec which I also had in the past and was nice), comfort pack plus (reserved one has regular comfort) and quite stunning looking M Sport Seats (the ones you find in the X5M - the reserved one has comfort seats which are most comfortable I ever sat in any car) and a tow bar (which I will never use most likely). This would add me approx £50 per month and 1500 extra deposit after heavy negotiations. Not sure if its worth it being honest assuming it will take more fuel. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #7
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Media,

Hey Billy - so what's your total average consumption? I just found stunning 40d - considering to switch my order to this but its 10k extra - in retrain I would get a better engine (40d vs 30d), laser lights, leather dashboard (reserved one has sensatec which I also had in the past and was nice), comfort pack plus (reserved one has regular comfort) and quite stunning looking M Sport Seats (the ones you find in the X5M - the reserved one has comfort seats which are most comfortable I ever sat in any car) and a tow bar (which I will never use most likely). This would add me approx £50 per month and 1500 extra deposit after heavy negotiations. Not sure if its worth it being honest assuming it will take more fuel. Thanks
Hi Media,

So my average mpg since getting the car is 35.4. Car has done 5,732 miles and driven in a mixture of comfort, adaptive and eco pro (adaptive if i remember to change it and eco pro for long runs). Very rarely sport tbh.

I keep thinking it will improve soon as I was expecting better, I'm not a particularly fast driver but also don't dawdle, very middle of the road I guess but the wife does tend to use the car more than me at the moment and she has no real understanding of mpg and how to drive in any way economically lol so I'm putting the less than expected mpg mainly down to her driving style!

If you can, I would 100% go for the 40d if it's an option still. My 2 pence is that you would not need to push the engine anywhere near as much to get the same performance and as such save on fuel this way (in my head that makes sense at least!).

Sounds like you have a dilemma either way as both builds sound great! If I were in your shoes I'm not sure what I would go for. I had the benefit of only have 1 day experience of the 30d so not enough time to really get a feel for how it was, as you have had the 30d engine already you will be in a better position for sure. If you're happy with the 30d I'm not sure an extra £1500 deposit and £50 per month is really worth it.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choose, keep us all posted!
Appreciate 1
medialook104.00
      07-16-2022, 04:36 PM   #8
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Media,

Hi Media,

So my average mpg since getting the car is 35.4. Car has done 5,732 miles and driven in a mixture of comfort, adaptive and eco pro (adaptive if i remember to change it and eco pro for long runs). Very rarely sport tbh.

I keep thinking it will improve soon as I was expecting better, I'm not a particularly fast driver but also don't dawdle, very middle of the road I guess but the wife does tend to use the car more than me at the moment and she has no real understanding of mpg and how to drive in any way economically lol so I'm putting the less than expected mpg mainly down to her driving style!

If you can, I would 100% go for the 40d if it's an option still. My 2 pence is that you would not need to push the engine anywhere near as much to get the same performance and as such save on fuel this way (in my head that makes sense at least!).

Sounds like you have a dilemma either way as both builds sound great! If I were in your shoes I'm not sure what I would go for. I had the benefit of only have 1 day experience of the 30d so not enough time to really get a feel for how it was, as you have had the 30d engine already you will be in a better position for sure. If you're happy with the 30d I'm not sure an extra £1500 deposit and £50 per month is really worth it.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choose, keep us all posted!
Thanks - will consider it - I still have a chance to up it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 08:55 AM   #9
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
This post just popped up in my notifications - for those who followed it I ended up getting a 40d nearly a year ago and the fuel economy is very good - pretty much identical to 30d but with some extra power.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 05:48 PM   #10
Solmaster
Solmaster
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Msport 40d

Just joined this forum and have just seen this post.
I’m also UK based (Scotland) and last week bought a ‘71 plate 40d X5. (Full stealth black and my 3rd X5)
I also drove a 30d and found there is no comparison in performance! You made the right choice with the 40d, a great combination of power and economy.
Appreciate 1
medialook104.00