BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #23
915M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDBD View Post
After 800 miles, I now use Battery Hold for nearly all driving. It is kinda like Hybrid mode but keeps battery charged. It switches between electric amd ICE, and shuts off engine when stopped - usually. I haven’t charged and still have 37 miles range.
Were you able to make 0 miles to 37 miles range with Battery Hold
And then usually how long does it take it?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 08:25 PM   #24
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915M View Post
Were you able to make 0 miles to 37 miles range with Battery Hold
And then usually how long does it take it?
with Battery Hold on the 50e, the vehicle can’t charge from 0 to xx miles. once you press/activate Battery Hold, the vehicle holds that level of charge, and thus, the electric range that coincides with it. for example, if you activate Battery Hold when the battery is at 95% (~38 electric miles), the vehicle will keep it there. if you activate it at 27% (~11 electric miles), it’ll keep it there. the vehicle doesn’t use the ICE to charge it to 100% (~40 miles).**

**we could do this on the 45e with Battery Control (if set to 100%)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 09:51 PM   #25
915M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
with Battery Hold on the 50e, the vehicle can’t charge from 0 to xx miles. once you press/activate Battery Hold, the vehicle holds that level of charge, and thus, the electric range that coincides with it. for example, if you activate Battery Hold when the battery is at 95% (~38 electric miles), the vehicle will keep it there. if you activate it at 27% (~11 electric miles), it’ll keep it there. the vehicle doesn’t use the ICE to charge it to 100% (~40 miles).**

**we could do this on the 45e with Battery Control (if set to 100%)
You don't have 50e. I have 50e and I was able to charge to 0 to 10 miles with Battery Hold. It just seems like it slows down after certain point so I was asking that question.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 01:31 PM   #26
ghanvass
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e; Rivian R1T

Hola everyone - just got my 50e on Friday. Took about a 120 mile trip yesterday (60 miles each way 95% freeway). I drove the vehicle in hybrid mode - default way it starts up. Started with 41 miles of electric range. By the time I reached my destination, I had drained the electric range down to zero, but then recouped two miles through regen. I was parked for about an hour, then I tried to precondition the cabin using the My BMW app I received a notification that preconditioning was not possible due to low battery. So I started the vehicle normally and it was in hybrid mode. It showed 1 mile electric range remaining. I pushed the battery hold button and began my 60 mile return trip. When I got home the vehicle showed 4 miles of electric range. Based on this, I think that regenerative braking does charge the battery in battery hold mode, but the ICE does not. Really disappointed to learn that cabin preconditioning is limited to HV battery only.
Appreciate 1
bjjeong10.50
      06-12-2023, 01:56 PM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanvass View Post
I pushed the battery hold button and began my 60 mile return trip. When I got home the vehicle showed 4 miles of electric range. Based on this, I think that regenerative braking does charge the battery in battery hold mode, but the ICE does not. Really disappointed to learn that cabin preconditioning is limited to HV battery only.
Welcome to the forum. Why would you think that the ICE doesn't charge the battery?
      06-12-2023, 03:42 PM   #28
915M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ICE charge, but only up to 10%(4miles). After 10%, any energy reserved will be used right away.

You can press BH 10 minutes before the arrival then it will be charged to 10% and will have just enough to precondition.

Or you can play with BH button and actively charging yourself from braking.(Brake regen then press BH button twice so increased battery level becomes new hold level)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 08:40 PM   #29
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanvass View Post
Hola everyone - just got my 50e on Friday. Took about a 120 mile trip yesterday (60 miles each way 95% freeway). I drove the vehicle in hybrid mode - default way it starts up. Started with 41 miles of electric range. By the time I reached my destination, I had drained the electric range down to zero, but then recouped two miles through regen. I was parked for about an hour, then I tried to precondition the cabin using the My BMW app I received a notification that preconditioning was not possible due to low battery. So I started the vehicle normally and it was in hybrid mode. It showed 1 mile electric range remaining. I pushed the battery hold button and began my 60 mile return trip. When I got home the vehicle showed 4 miles of electric range. Based on this, I think that regenerative braking does charge the battery in battery hold mode, but the ICE does not. Really disappointed to learn that cabin preconditioning is limited to HV battery only.
the ICE is part of the regeneration scheme but limited in capacity. let’s say you’re on a long cruising section of highway on your trip where there’s no need to brake. during that time, the HV battery is being used to power electronics, HVAC, etc so it will deplete. to replenish it, the ICE will recharge the battery a bit but not indefinitely as 915M pointed out
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 08:09 AM   #30
tdlutz24
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 50e; '18 BMW 440X

Quote:
the ICE is part of the regeneration scheme but limited in capacity. let’s say you’re on a long cruising section of highway on your trip where there’s no need to brake. during that time, the HV battery is being used to power electronics, HVAC, etc so it will deplete. to replenish it, the ICE will recharge the battery a bit but not indefinitely as 915M pointed out
I picked my 50e up last Wed and drove 1200 miles in Hybrid (as recommended for break-in period by mfg) I also used a little in Sport and did experience a slight increase in miles from regen charging. No more than 4-5 miles in sport (less in hybrid) but still nice to see a little gain.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #31
915M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlutz24 View Post
I picked my 50e up last Wed and drove 1200 miles in Hybrid (as recommended for break-in period by mfg) I also used a little in Sport and did experience a slight increase in miles from regen charging. No more than 4-5 miles in sport (less in hybrid) but still nice to see a little gain.
When you see that 4-5 miles increase in sport, what was the starting charging state? And were you going down hill?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 09:53 AM   #32
tdlutz24
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 50e; '18 BMW 440X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 915M View Post
When you see that 4-5 miles increase in sport, what was the starting charging state? And were you going down hill?
Charging state was 0 miles and just started to drive... over the next several miles it gradually went up, but no higher than 5 miles... some minor up and down hills. (Southern PA hill country)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 09:18 PM   #33
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Does anybody know how much battery you must have in order to be able to precondition de vehicle and how long the A/C can stay on?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 05:24 AM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
Does anybody know how much battery you must have in order to be able to precondition de vehicle and how long the A/C can stay on?
It is not possible to get an exact answer to that since there are too many variables in play. It seems like many, if not most, try and keep about 30% and that has been working well. You can likely get away with half-that and be fine.
      09-27-2023, 06:00 AM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
on my 45e, I’ve been able to precondition (AC) with the electric gauge as low as 2 miles, though I never tested how long it would run. (2 miles is roughly 6% on the US 45e.) while a preconditioning session automatically cuts off after 30 minutes, I don’t think 2 miles on the gauge is enough to run that long. I would also think it may require a higher minimum charge level to precondition with heat, or maybe not as it just won’t run as long compared to AC
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:31 AM   #36
Gene Horr
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
A/C or heat (presumably A/C in your case)? How hot is the car? What is the OAT? How long do you want it to run?

There's too many variables to get a fixed answer. At a pure WAG running the A/C long enough to cool down the vehicle (5 minutes? I didn't time it) seems to use about 1kwh of power. Assuming this rough guess is correct and assuming best practice is to leave a minimum of 10% charge then I would say you should have somewhere in the 15-20% range.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 01:21 PM   #37
leo923
LeeRiz
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW  [9.00]
don't even have my 50e yet but reading up as much as i can. this whole thread was great as i was just thinking about "remote start" (preconditioning) and how to use it on the new X5 when i get it. I use my current remote start every single day; turn on my car about 2-5 minutes before leaving to get everything up to active state and cool/heat the interior a bit.

as for regen braking to regain some battery on long trips... i saw on youtube that there's an option on a different BMW to have the regen braking at low/med/high which changes the "harshness" of the braking when you let off the gas (1 poedal driving). Is that an option for the 45e or 50e?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo923 View Post
don't even have my 50e yet but reading up as much as i can. this whole thread was great as i was just thinking about "remote start" (preconditioning) and how to use it on the new X5 when i get it. I use my current remote start every single day; turn on my car about 2-5 minutes before leaving to get everything up to active state and cool/heat the interior a bit.

as for regen braking to regain some battery on long trips... i saw on youtube that there's an option on a different BMW to have the regen braking at low/med/high which changes the "harshness" of the braking when you let off the gas (1 poedal driving). Is that an option for the 45e or 50e?

thanks!
1) activating preconditioning on your 50e would serve the same purpose as remote starting but with a few advantages

2) the 45e doesn't have a way to adjust the level of regeneration, and i believe neither does the 50e. 1-pedal driving and the ability to adjust regeneration level appears to be featured on full EVs (not just BMWs either). i'm not personally aware of any PHEV that has this feature
Appreciate 1
leo92372.00
      10-03-2023, 06:29 PM   #39
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

I leave regenerative braking off. When it’s on, it just feels ”weird” like the car wants to slow down on its own.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 07:10 PM   #40
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
I leave regenerative braking off. When it’s on, it just feels ”weird” like the car wants to slow down on its own.
you can completely turn off regenerative braking on the 50e? which drive mode(s)? on the 45e, the closest we can get to turning off regenerative braking (coasting like rolling in Neutral) is Hybrid Eco Pro, but even then certain requirements must be met first. if not, regenerative braking re-activates
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 08:11 AM   #41
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
you can completely turn off regenerative braking on the 50e? which drive mode(s)? on the 45e, the closest we can get to turning off regenerative braking (coasting like rolling in Neutral) is Hybrid Eco Pro, but even then certain requirements must be met first. if not, regenerative braking re-activates
Yes, there is a option to do that (in ID 8.5 at least). It seems not tied to a drive mode, so i think applies to all of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 08:17 AM   #42
adrian97
Registered
Rep

Regeneration on 50e

The 50e has 2 levels of regeneration....there is regular regen and also adaptive regen that uses the cameras to determine what is around you, and it brakes more or less depending on what's close. if a car is in front, it really slows the vehicle when regen kicks in, but if that car switches lanes for example, you can feel it release the heavy braking. The dealer told me you also can turn it off completely in the settings, but I have not tried that.
Appreciate 0