BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-07-2022, 10:22 PM   #419
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I have the HK in my build and being a somewhat snob for good sound quality, I think the HK is pretty good. The best factory audio I've ever listened to is on the Model Y. No joke. It's really good.

Also, if you think you can just stroll into a car audio shop and spend a few thousand to have it remotely sound as good as the factory HK, you will be very surprised.

I also have a Tacoma truck and I recently had the while audio system redone, Sony headinit, kicker 400w Amp for components and rear speakers, alpine speakers all around, 10" kicker sub, and doing it cheap @ 3k it still doesn't sound anywhere close to what the HK sounds like in the X5.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 01:08 AM   #420
jontron
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
I have the HK in my build and being a somewhat snob for good sound quality, I think the HK is pretty good. The best factory audio I've ever listened to is on the Model Y. No joke. It's really good.

Also, if you think you can just stroll into a car audio shop and spend a few thousand to have it remotely sound as good as the factory HK, you will be very surprised.

I also have a Tacoma truck and I recently had the while audio system redone, Sony headinit, kicker 400w Amp for components and rear speakers, alpine speakers all around, 10" kicker sub, and doing it cheap @ 3k it still doesn't sound anywhere close to what the HK sounds like in the X5.
I like that you can adjust an 8 band EQ and dial it in how you want for your own music tastes. I've only had 3 band in previous vehicles with stock systems so I was happy about that. Sub bass is still lacking for me, but I think it depends on what music you are listening to. High end could use a little more shine too. Modern electronic and pop music puts a lot more emphasis on the low end and I think the HK is lacking there. But, I agree - "pretty good".

I will also say this. I have always thought SXM sound quality was so bad it was almost unlistenable. Somehow they made it sound decent with this sound system.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 01:11 PM   #421
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post

I agree, the audio on my wife's Model Y is fantastic. You are also right in that you can't just throw in a bunch of components hoping to improve the audio. For the X5, there are plug and play options designed to work with current speaker or amp configurations that will improve the sound. Of course a good audio shop will be able to create an even better soundstage - usually for a lot of money!

But I am with you, the HK audio system for $800 is a HUGE upgrade over the base Hifi and one of the best value for money options IMHO on the X5. The B&W upgrade may or may not be worth it depending on one's listening habits over the HK. But anyone can tell the difference between base Hifi and HK. Plus, you can really improve the sound to your taste because of the 8 EQ settings AND ability to code in the B&W DSP settings which create a much wider soundstage - if one likes that.
Appreciate 0