BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-23-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Head-up display shortage. Removed from Executive Package (US)

My dealer tried to place the order for my 45e today, but learned that there's a supply shortage impacting the head-up display and BMW has chosen to remove it from the Executive package and reduce the price to $3300. The head-up display is still included in the Premium package. I had originally chosen Executive, but the head-up display is a must have option for me and I was only really choosing Executive to get the Laser lights, so I have opted to go with the Premium package. Just wanted to let others know in case they planned to order in the US any time soon. I have no idea if this impacts markets outside of the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
BRB-Prsch928S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go FasTA View Post
My dealer tried to place the order for my 45e today, but learned that there's a supply shortage impacting the head-up display and BMW has chosen to remove it from the Executive package and reduce the price to $3300. The head-up display is still included in the Premium package. I had originally chosen Executive, but the head-up display is a must have option for me and I was only really choosing Executive to get the Laser lights, so I have opted to go with the Premium package. Just wanted to let others know in case they planned to order in the US any time soon. I have no idea if this impacts markets outside of the US.
Did your dealer mention anything about Harman Kardon being no longer available in the Premium Pkg?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go FasTA View Post
You're in the USA, right? I just went into the configurator and built both an xLine and M Sport 45e. The HUD is included in both the Premium and Executive packages for both variants. (seems the configurator is lagging behind the actual build specs then.) why would the HUD be included in the Premium package but not the higher-end Executive package?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB-Prsch928S View Post
Did your dealer mention anything about Harman Kardon being no longer available in the Premium Pkg?
someone posted in another thread the HK system is now standard, but that's not what I see in the list of standard features. It appears to be completely removed. (maybe it's standard in a different market?)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB-Prsch928S View Post
He didn’t mention anything about that. I’ll have to ask tomorrow as I definitely want the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:14 AM   #5
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

So, if H&K and B&W are not available, do they just put regular hi-fi audio, lol ?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 06:37 AM   #6
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

I just ordered an X6 yesterday, and I can confirm the HK system is no longer available due to shortages. I believe they took off $650 from the price of the car. So I added the alcantara headliner, which is more important to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #7
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Anyone know if an x5m ordered a few weeks ago would be affected?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Getting back to the original topic asking about the HUD, any confirmation of that? It’s still showing as part of both the Executive and Premium packages on the build configurator for the 45e, and the price still shows $4850 for the Executive package.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #9
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I just ordered an X6 yesterday, and I can confirm the HK system is no longer available due to shortages. I believe they took off $650 from the price of the car. So I added the alcantara headliner, which is more important to me.
Just know that by getting the alcantara headliner (which is nice) BMW got cheap for the 2021 model year and removed the alcantara from the pano roof sunshade. They put the cheap vinyl shade in its place.
But maybe you are aware of this cost cutting move by BMW for the North American market.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:38 AM   #10
Drothgeb
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
So, if H&K and B&W are not available, do they just put regular hi-fi audio, lol ?
They have deleted HK from the Premium Package with no reduction in price, and relabeled the HiFi system Harmon Kardon. Very sneaky price increase.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #11
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've yet to see further confirmation of this change to the Executive Package. I'm starting to wonder if my dealer might have confused the HK removal with head-up display. My recommendation would be to check the build sheet on any order placed currently to ensure head-up display is listed under Premium or Executive packages in the US if you truly want that feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #12
bburgbob
Registered
Rep
Drives: C-Max phev

Signed for 45e yesterday (2/24).
Dealer advised that HK audio is not available. Price of Premium package reduced by $750 as a result (now $1800).

No mention of any issue with Heads up display. Received my Vehicle Inquiry report last evening. Design associated includes heads up display.

Logged into BMW website this morning. Production number assigned to my vehicle includes Heads Up display.
Premium package no longer includes HK audio and has been renamed as Premium Package 2
.Name:  62D3BC09-B0CD-477F-9CF4-AA26156B2A57.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  152.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #13
m3oosh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 2011 M3 ZCP

My order was submitted on 2/12/21 and was assinged a VIN stating it's in the production process as of 2/19/21 and I am seeing both HUD and Harmon Kardon included in the executive package
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

I’m beginning to think that there was just a mistake in that someone said HUD but really meant the HK audio. Also, based on the postings here, it seems like the HK cutoff was around 2/21, so your order probably got in just under the wire.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #15
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillbimmer View Post
I'm beginning to think that there was just a mistake in that someone said HUD but really meant the HK audio. Also, based on the postings here, it seems like the HK cutoff was around 2/21, so your order probably got in just under the wire.
I ordered mine 2/19. Called today. Order is "on hold". Whatever that means. If I punch in the order number is comes up with an X7 model. The vehicle inquiry sheet shows the premium package 2, without HK, even though I signed for the 2800 premium package. The inquiry sheet that was printed out today has it at $2050. BMW really screwed up the messaging on this. Not a minor detail that you offer a little discount for. Looks like the situation is what it is. Take it or cancel the order.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #16
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
Just know that by getting the alcantara headliner (which is nice) BMW got cheap for the 2021 model year and removed the alcantara from the pano roof sunshade. They put the cheap vinyl shade in its place.
But maybe you are aware of this cost cutting move by BMW for the North American market.
That's ok, I always keep the shade hidden. I don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:36 PM   #17
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I was so disappointed with the material they used for the pano roof.

Also, not having a heads up display would probably not be a deal breaker for me, but its such an amazing feature to have. Can live without it but if available, def get it!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #18
Dive4air
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 ///M Sport, ///M4

I got my order in May 24 and was lucky with an existing dealer allocation. But H&K was already gone. Missed it by a couple of weeks, maybe even less. I was so mad and almost bought a Q8 instead. But then I went and sat in the BMW and cranked the radio with my playlist for 20 min and it all sounded decent enough...maybe a bimmertech speaker upgrade will do. Everything else processed but My Garage is not updating status and the car is scheduled to finish production tomorrow.
Appreciate 0