BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-17-2021, 09:46 PM   #45
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Never heard of the "comfort access kick-to-open trunk"? Haha, my sales person strikes again, but just looked it up... so you wave your foot under the bumper and the trunk opens, nice, it's unfortunate I need to give that up but I guess I'm ok with loosing it. I must have a trailer hitch (tow motorcycles), Btw, thanks for the picture of the upgraded brake, it's like pealing an onion.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #46
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

I ended up calling BMW customer relations, talked with a tech. He gave me the facts you've stated and told me to request the pricing guide as you have provided, bypass the sales guy and talk with the sales manager. I requested and received the guide you provided, so I'm now going through and confirming my options.

I'm essentially flying on my own here at this point, sales person is wrong on the suspension question (pretty major miss IMHO) and I've corrected him on two other features so far and I suspect one more so I've lost confidence in what he's saying. I'm heading into the dealer tomorrow, will sit with the sales manager a bit to review where I'm at, although to be honest the minimal interaction I've already had with him I'm not confident I'm going to get better responses, we'll see.

At this point, I'm probably sticking with the M Sport Package, just need to decide if I want to go air suspension or not. I've requested to test drive a car with it, we'll see what they come up with one, sounded like a challenge.

I want to get the M Sport Brakes (2NH), my sales guy told me they were identical to standard brakes except for the painted rotors. That's contrary to what I've read in this forum and the summary description on the BMW site. Anyone know if they are different and if so how (e.g larger rotors, bigger calipers, pads)?

Was leaning toward the 22 in wheels but now I'm thinking 21" Y-spoke bi-color wheels (style 744) since I'm concerned about both a harsher ride on the 22 and more chance of picking up a dent.

Was going to order Vernasca seats with the standard/sport seat but after sitting in the multi-contour seats with Merino, probably worth upgrading to Luxury Seating Package (ZLS).

Heated steering wheel, trailer hitch, with just the included convenience package and that wraps up my build.

Oh, I'm going with Alpine White what over Ivory, not sure about extended Shadowline trim. I know this is a subjective and personal area, but thoughts on my build and colors?

I appreciate any help you all can provide!
I'd move on to another dealer, this one sounds like they lack the basic knowledge of the features and options available.
      02-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #47
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Never heard of the "comfort access kick-to-open trunk"? Haha, my sales person strikes again, but just looked it up... so you wave your foot under the bumper and the trunk opens, nice, it's unfortunate I need to give that up but I guess I'm ok with loosing it. I must have a trailer hitch (tow motorcycles), Btw, thanks for the picture of the upgraded brake, it's like pealing an onion.
Yeah, shame you lose that feature with the hitch.
      02-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #48
lykato
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

I'm looking to get an x5 45e model. However, i want the Donneton Grey color. Can I pay up and get this color?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #49
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lykato View Post
I'm looking to get an x5 45e model. However, i want the Donneton Grey color. Can I pay up and get this color?
Unfortunately no. BMW M-specific paintworks and special model paintworks cannot be swapped for other vehicles.

As of right now, BMW Individual Manufaktur 490 paints for X5/6/7 are limited to a specific list. This isn't the same custom program for BMW vehicles produced in Germany.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #50
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Another question about AS. The dealer I'm working with (sales person and sales manager) are steering me away from AS because they claim that over time the rear starts to sag. Seems hard to imagine, I believe they could have a EDC fault or the Air bag just fail at some point like other adaptive suspensions but can it degrade?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #51
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
I'd move on to another dealer, this one sounds like they lack the basic knowledge of the features and options available.
Yeah, I thought about it when I wasn't getting the right answers on the suspension and brakes but I'm pretty far down the road with these guys, personally like the sales kid albeit he needs to get serious about understanding every detail and nuance of these cars to survive/thrive in this business. I'll have that talk with him before it's over. It's also unfortunate because the sales manager from the other dealer in my area just contacted me from an earlier inquiry and are now offering a slightly better deal. The amount isn't significant (~$500) but turns out they have a car with AS that I can drive whereas my current dealer doesn't so I don't know...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #52
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another question about AS. The dealer I'm working with (sales person and sales manager) are steering me away from AS because they claim that over time the rear starts to sag. Seems hard to imagine, I believe they could have a EDC fault or the Air bag just fail at some point like other adaptive suspensions but can it degrade?
The air suspensions used up till now at BMW were open systems and rear-axle only on X5s. The G05 is the first BMW to be equipped with a closed system. In the closed system, continuous pneumatic pressure compensation does not occur between the environment. Failure/replacement rate was higher in older models but you're talking about 5+ years.

If you're leasing, I wouldn't worry about it. The G05 2-axle air suspension uses a newer design with higher reliability and closed-end system. There's also an air drier which dehumidifies the air drawn in to prevent corrosion and icing inside the pneumatic system. I could go into more of the new 2VR but SA's are completed uninformed with the newer suspension systems and rely on outdated prejudices.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 6.12.11 PM.png
Views: 447
Size:  568.1 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 02-18-2021 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2021, 05:19 PM   #53
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Detailed post to your brakes question:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27179474
I was test driving a X40 M Sport yesterday w/ M Brakes and I noticed that right as the car came to a complete stop, the brakes would sort of "crunch" with a bit of a lurch. It's a new car ~15 miles, wondering if they just needed to be bedded in or whether this effect lingers. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Minor point on the M Sport Brake vs Trailer upgrade discussion. Both have 4 piston Brembo calipers, I can see the sizes are different so I'm assuming the pads are larger as well allowing for more net brake surface with the M Sport Brake. Correct?

Side note, I stumbled on what looks like the identical brakes (with drilled rotors) on the BMW parts site should anyone want to upgrade them... $3,910! Bargain as a $650 option.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #54
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The air suspensions used up till now at BMW were open systems and rear-axle only on X5s. The G05 is the first BMW to be equipped with a closed system. In the closed system, continuous pneumatic pressure compensation does not occur between the environment. Failure/replacement rate was higher in older models but you're talking about 5+ years.

If you're leasing, I wouldn't worry about it. The G05 2-axle air suspension uses a newer design with higher reliability and closed-end system. There's also an air drier which dehumidifies the air drawn in to prevent corrosion and icing inside the pneumatic system. I could go into more of the new 2VR but SA's are completed uninformed with the newer suspension systems and rely on outdated prejudices.

Attachment 2532138
As usual, thanks for the info. Btw I'm new to the forum and from your responses and the material you have access to I figure you must work at BMW in some capacity?

As I may have mentioned I called the BMW Genius line for a technical question but the response wasn't helpful, had more luck talking to a tech at customer relations, he was able to lookup the answer, but the kind of responses I've read from you are top shelf! I'm into motorcycles more than cars and am a member of very good Ducati forum where there are a number of super talented techs that are very supportive. Happy to see the same level here.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4360.00
      02-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #55
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was test driving a X40 M Sport yesterday w/ M Brakes and I noticed that right as the car came to a complete stop, the brakes would sort of "crunch" with a bit of a lurch. It's a new car ~15 miles, wondering if they just needed to be bedded in or whether this effect lingers. Anyone know what I'm referring to?
Not quite familiar with what you've experience. Did this lurch coincide with active start/stop enabled? Or was the "crunch" a sound? Were the brakes wet? Was Auto-Hold brake enabled? Was the 40i M Sport equipped with 2-axle air suspension and height adjustment toggle pressed? Usually bedding is required for squeaky M Sport brakes.

Quote:
Minor point on the M Sport Brake vs Trailer upgrade discussion. Both have 4 piston Brembo calipers, I can see the sizes are different so I'm assuming the pads are larger as well allowing for more net brake surface with the M Sport Brake. Correct?
Yep, pads are also larger.

Quote:
Side note, I stumbled on what looks like the identical brakes (with drilled rotors) on the BMW parts site should anyone want to upgrade them... $3,910! Bargain as a $650 option.
Ja those are the M Performance Kit (Red) - the front and rear calipers are identical to factory option 2NH, same size front discs but even larger rears and of course ventilated w/punched holes:

Any engine + Option 2NH (Blue or Red - $650) and M50i: Fixed 4 piston 395x36 + 370x24, lightweight ventilated

M Performance Kit (Red): Fixed 4 piston 395x36 + 398x28, ventilated w/punched holes

Name:  BMW X5 G05 White_PS688_02.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  330.0 KB

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1771917

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #56
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As usual, thanks for the info. Btw I'm new to the forum and from your responses and the material you have access to I figure you must work at BMW in some capacity?
Haha, gosh no but thank you for the compliment. Just an automotive and BMW enthusiast for the past 25+ years and spend spare time digging into BMW suspension technical aspects, bookmarking, attending clinics, sourcing technical info from BMW and other forum contributors. Also get lucky to get new BMW Press vehicles keys tossed my way - there's a new G80 M3 Comp with my name on it once the weather clears up.

Quote:
As I may have mentioned I called the BMW Genius line for a technical question but the response wasn't helpful, had more luck talking to a tech at customer relations, he was able to lookup the answer, but the kind of responses I've read from you are top shelf! I'm into motorcycles more than cars and am a member of very good Ducati forum where there are a number of super talented techs that are very supportive. Happy to see the same level here.
BMW Genius are great with iDrive settings and general info, but depending on the individual answering the call they may not be technically inclined compared to others. My BMW Genius that delivered my X5 at PCD was very well versed.

Ah nice nice, I appreciate Ducati's especially motorcycle design but I'd be a complete novice in all things Ducati or motorcycles, LOL. Cheers and thank you for the compliment, feel free to PM if you have any questions and if I don't know the answer I'll do a little digging and follow-up.

Lots of great and informative G05/G06 forum members here to help and provide their perspectives.

Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 07:36 AM   #57
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is there any way I can get Luxury Seating (ZLA) with Ext Merino (VA) without the quilted stitch seat pattern? Whenever we choose ZLA the configurator shows the Vernasca (MC) w/o the stitch pattern but when we go back to options and choose Merino it switches to the stitch pattern. I'm not sure if the configurator is visually correct. If it is we could go ZLA with Vernasca and not have the stitch pattern. It looks like Ext Merino, not the M-C seats, causes the stitch pattern to appear, is that correct?

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 02-19-2021 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #58
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there any way I can get Luxury Seating (ZLA) with Ext Merino (VA) without the quilted stitch seat pattern? Whenever we choose ZLA the configurator shows the Vernasca (MC) w/o the stitch pattern but when we go back to options and choose Merino it switches to the stitch pattern. I'm not sure if the configurator is visually correct. If it is we could go ZLA with Vernasca and not have the stitch pattern. It looks like Ext Merino, not the M-C seats, causes the stitch pattern to appear, is that correct?
That's correct. Upper backrest stitching pattern is specific to Merino leather irregardless of multi-contour or multi-contour luxury seating options. Without it, would be hard to tell the difference between Vernasca and BMW's top tier Merino leather.

There's two types of Merino - un-perforated (MC) and perforated (ZLA-MC).

Optioning Merino leather requires MC seating and there are no ventilation perforations in the backrest.

Option ZLA in Merino leather adds perforations in the backrest and seat cushion for ventilation.

Oh that's odd might be a config issue but which leather did you select first, before selecting ZLA? I can select Merino, which switches to MC, then ZLA which switches to ZLA MC and no issues. If you select ZLA first then it switches standard sport seats to Vernasca ZLA MC.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #59
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

Optioning Merino leather requires MC seating and there are no ventilation perforations in the backrest.

Option ZLA in Merino leather adds perforations in the backrest and seat cushion for ventilation.
I remember reading a few posts that concluded that for MY21 ZLA-MC is used whether the seats have ventilation or not. I have not heard that recently or verified it.
      02-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #60
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

I remember reading a few posts that concluded that for MY21 ZLA-MC is used whether the seats have ventilation or not. I have not heard that recently or verified it.
Oh ja? So ZLA hardware is there but not enabled if you didn't option ZLA? Nice and guess saves on seating supply variations?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #61
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Oh ja? So ZLA hardware is there but not enabled if you didn't option ZLA? Nice and guess saves on seating supply variations?
I don't remember them mentioning that. They were just referring to the leather having the perforations. The configurator does not show that but you know how that goes. My guess is the conclusion was not correct. I think it happened when folks were talking about the ambient lighting on the back of the seats.
Auricom4360.00
      02-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #62
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I believe MC code is Vernasca, Merino is VA (or ZA; not sure what that is).

After starting with M Sport Vernasca leather is the default material. I choose the color I want, Ivory Vernasca in my case, and then my next step is to choose Luxury Seating. The configurator now shows Multi-Contoured seats in Ivory with what looks like perforations without the stitch pattern. If at that point I go back and upgrade the interior seat to Merino VA, then the stitch pattern is introduced.

Alternatively if I simply choose Merino leather w/o choosing Luxury Seating, you get the stitch pattern and they automatically option M-C seats (456). So I'm think it's safe to say it's the Merino that requires the stitch pattern.

Given that I believe I can go with Vernasca Ivory Luxury Seating (Venting, Massage) and not have the stitch pattern. That's pretty close to what I want, just wish I could get Meriono without the pattern but it's ok. I just need to get my dealer to ensure that's the case and I'm good.

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 02-19-2021 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #63
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
After starting with M Sport Vernasca leather is the default material. I choose the color I want, Ivory in my case, and then my next step is to choose Luxury Seating. The configurator shows Multi-Contoured seats in Ivory with perforations without the stitch pattern. If I go back and upgrade the interior seat to Merino, then as we all see the stitch pattern is introduced.

Alternatively if I simply choose Merino leather w/o choosing Luxury Seating, you get the stitch pattern and they automatically option M-C seats. So I'm think it's safe to say it's the Merino that requires the stitch pattern.

Given that I believe I can go with Vernasca Ivory Luxury Seating (Venting, Massage) and not have the stitch pattern. That's pretty close to what I want, just wish I could get Meriono without the pattern but it's ok.

You are correct, Merino will have the stitch pattern. For over two years I have been trying to get may wife to like, or at least accept, the stitch pattern on Merino since I want it on our next one. Rather than a flat out no, I'm at the "get whatever you want" stage. Since she won't see the pattern when she is sitting in it I think it will end up being okay.
      02-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #64
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are your back seats gathered/wrinkled? I can live with the stitching, but I'm just not a fan of ruching (believe that's what the design element is called).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #65
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Are your back seats gathered/wrinkled? I can live with the stitching, but I'm just not a fan of ruching (believe that's what the design element is called).
Yes, but show a lot more on pictures than in real life.
Attached Images

02-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #66
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Yes, but show a lot more on pictures than in real life.
I thought this was just mine. Didn't realize that's how it's meant to be.

Weirdly my passenger side is fine but the driver side has the wrinkly finish.