11-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #89
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Dealer parts department was still open and it turns out there are only 7 unique keys, so lucked into immediate replacement. The key bolt concept is a security joke.
The majority of anti theft products are for the casual part time amateur thief wannabe. Pro's have all the tools, all the keys, flatbed trucks with winches and if they want your car, they're gonna have it. Wheel lock keys, etc just lull us into a false sense of security so we sleep better at night thinking our $30 lock will prevent someone from steeling our $80K car The ability to track your car is better but you have to be fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #90
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
How much did the dealer charge you? Which dealer?
BMW Grand River in Kitchener. A little over $500 CAD taxes in — it's no $150 USD at car order time in US, but it's way less than I was expecting. BMW Grand River are awesome, but I don't know if it would be fair to expect the same price as they are very likely doing me favours.
$500 is really good price for this DIY spare tire in Canadian market. I try to source these parts independently, it runs over $1000 easy before tax.
BTW, I sent a PM to you(LexxM3) about the part numbers, can you check and let me know? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #91
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
I would not count on the spare to provide much time before a replacement tire is needed as it's a temporary use, compact spare. Haven't confirmed, but believe it is also of noticeably smaller outside diameter so that you'd want to minimize it's use to avoid undue stress on the drive train.

While for the most common tire failure, a puncture by a nail or screw, the runflats allow continued driving for a while (or longer if the leak is slow enough that you can counter it by adding air), more severe damage, such as a torn sidewall, will leave a runflat, or any tire, undriveable for any distance. For that reason I too have a spare on my X5.

For trips, where we may be quite some distance from a compressed air supply, I carry the BMW tire kit with compressor and sealant.
As per BMW : Mobility Kit - New Style - BMW (71-10-2-333-674)
Genuine BMW Mobility Kit - New Style - Part Number 71-10-2-333-674 *Not for use with run-flat tires
Appreciate 0