BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #23
HeynowbababooeyAckAck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 & X5

Honestly, it’s a lease. You don’t own it. Your just renting it. If you really want to... have them sign that they damaged it in that location upon delivery so if there is any issue upon return 3 years from now, your covered. Doubt they will even notice it upon return. Other than that, forget it and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #24
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeynowbababooeyAckAck View Post
Doubt they will even notice it upon return. Other than that, forget it and enjoy the car.
I'm really trying to think that way too... It's not as if it is an exotic that's going into a collection. I just want to have thought this through before it starts bugging me later, as if the dealer took me for a ride with this whole situation that's all. I can see myself being pissed off if I feel that I was taken an advantage of.

I'm sure that when I'm content after all this consideration, and it's been a calculated decision on my part, then I'll do just that.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #25
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I asked the same question in the BMW body shop when my car was in for a repair. They said they get BMW parts in primer and they have to spray in the needed color. BMW does not have replacement body parts in every color from factory. That makes sense from a logistical and economical viewpoint.
So replacement parts are sprayed by hand in the shop and not by robots in factory. My guess is you, or a trained eye, will always see that.
There's no reason for there to be a visible difference. A good paint shop will get it right and it will look the same.

Pre-painted body parts? 🤷🏻 Sorry, but hasn't anyone on here ever had to get body work done on a car? It sucks, but when it's done right, you can't tell and will soon forget about it. If you pick it up and can see a difference, it's a bad paint job and should be rejected.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #26
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

A scratch isn't a big deal.... however, I would sign nothing until it is corrected to your satisfaction. Don't accept it with the "understanding" it will get repaired later.

And... like others have said... mineral white is the hardest color to duplicate correctly. You better look at it CLOSELY... in the sunlight.... and at different angles..... before you accept it.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #27
TXPearl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I wouldn't worry about the lease return part of this. If the repair is acceptable for you to take delivery, it will not be an issue upon lease return in three years.
Appreciate 1
chrisny546.50
      01-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #28
bluzbra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i / '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB View Post
Car is Mineral White, so hopefully shouldn't be noticeable. I will make sure that before the pickup, I will analyze it in the late afternoon with sun reflecting of the repaired side. If I can notice the over spray, then I will probably reject, if not, then probably accept.
I thought of an alternative solution short of renegotiating your entire deal. Rather than mess with your deal structure and ask for $1,000 or so more of a discount, have them "throw in" lease protection for your car, or at the very least, sell it to you for a heavily discounted price. That way if you don't end up keeping the car, you won't get dinged (no pun intended) for any damage that may appear on your door. And you'll also get other excess wear/tear waived (up to $5k). Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #29
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I think you need to estimate how much this would reduce the value of the vehicle. for example if you bought it and sold it tomorrow, how much would you lose just for the 1 scratch? $100, $500, $1000 ?

Then ask the dealer for that amount back as either cash or towards your lease.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #30
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzbra View Post
I thought of an alternative solution short of renegotiating your entire deal. Rather than mess with your deal structure and ask for $1,000 or so more of a discount, have them "throw in" lease protection for your car, or at the very least, sell it to you for a heavily discounted price. That way if you don't end up keeping the car, you won't get dinged (no pun intended) for any damage that may appear on your door. And you'll also get other excess wear/tear waived (up to $5k). Just a thought.
I like this as one of the options if needed. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #31
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPearl View Post
I wouldn't worry about the lease return part of this. If the repair is acceptable for you to take delivery, it will not be an issue upon lease return in three years.
+1

This isn't an accident, it's a scratch. I think there is a lot of overthinking going on here. Talk of carfax and diminished values, etc.. it's just a scratch. One the Op shouldn't and won't have to live with. He should get a little more money off for the inconvenience and the car should be fixed good as new (literally, good as new, as in, nothing to see now nor be seen at turn-in or resale 3 years from now or whenever).
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #32
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzbra View Post
I like this as one of the options if needed. Thanks.
that 5k lease protection sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #33
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
that 5k lease protection sounds good.
To each their own, but "bird in hand" says $1000 cash is worth more than $5000 of insurance you may never need.

FWIW, I've been leasing cars since college, a little over 20 years, and I've never had more than $800 in excess wear to pay for at turn in, and I've returned some pretty badly curb rashed wheels at times.

Totally get why the $5k would be nice peace of mind though, and sometimes getting something like that could be easier to negotiate. How expensive is the lease protection at time of sale?
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #34
bluzbra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i / '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
To each their own, but "bird in hand" says $1000 cash is worth more than $5000 of insurance you may never need.

FWIW, I've been leasing cars since college, a little over 20 years, and I've never had more than $800 in excess wear to pay for at turn in, and I've returned some pretty badly curb rashed wheels at times.

Totally get why the $5k would be nice peace of mind though, and sometimes getting something like that could be easier to negotiate. How expensive is the lease protection at time of sale?
In my experience with BMW, the lease protection can come in quite handy. Especially if, for example, you end up having curb rash on the passenger side rims and if the rear tires have low thread (by BMW's standards). Those two things alone will set you over $1,500 easy at lease return. Lease protection typically ranges anywhere from $1,200 to $2,000. It's probably the most unpredictably priced product finance tries to sell you. If you can get it for around $1,400 on a $70k car, that's probably a really good deal. It really depends on the dealer though.

Last edited by bluzbra; 01-20-2020 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Rims*, not tires
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #35
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I will say, they seem to be less forgiving than in the past on lease returns. I have never gone over $800 like I said, and even that was the only time I paid anything other than mileage overages, but I've had friends that had to replace tires etc even when getting another BMW. I had some pretty bad curb rash on all 4 style 214 20" wheels on my E70 and paid $0 for it. But that was turned in back in 2010. Aka 10 years ago. Ouch...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #36
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Typically when cars come from the Welt factory in Germany all units go through the body shop close to the port of delivery to fox dents and scratches caused during shipping. I had this experience when I took European Delivery in 2011. My wife slammed into the guard rail on the way back to the factory after our 15 day vacation in Germany. The factory covered everything and explained why this is not a big deal and they always fix body shop issues as part of shipping. Now in our case, every part was completely replaced, including both doors at no cost even though it was our fault (ED has full insurance etc.)

Now in your case I'd ask them if they can replace the part that has the scratches if it makes you feel better. I totally understand what you are going through.
Appreciate 0