BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #67
CoolStory
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 i40

Yes, but this car is quiet as a kitten so there wasn't much change in the sound. It's a little bit louder and there are a few more pops and cracks but it's a nice sleeper.

The TCU isn't available for us yet but he said he'd get back to me in a few weeks to let me know when it's unlocked. He said it's a must have.

As far as power, the f30 forum folk with the same B58 as ours are reporting over 100hp with just this flash tune. I'd have to say I totally believe it. The ECU flash changes the default 400hp max gauges in the vehicle to read 480hp/480tq. I know it's just a graphic and not a true dyno but when floored, the HP gauge maxes out at 480 and the TQ is just slightly under it (around 470) and it sure as hell feels like it. I'm extremely impressed and happy with it.

Maybe if I get some time off I'll find an AWD Dyno around here. I'm very impressed though, not sure I need to dyno it since I'm happy.

Last edited by CoolStory; 01-07-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #68
CoolStory
Rep

Attached is the cluster gauges after the ECU flash
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ftpohyeah283.00
      01-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #69
CoolStory
Rep

And I'm sorry for the blurry picture but it's difficult to safely take a picture when you're flooring the vehicle.

That's why I posted the above picture so you could see the HP/TQ numbers. It looks like it's also putting about 16psi to the turbo.
Attached Images

Last edited by CoolStory; 01-07-2020 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #70
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnymac View Post
I know must of us are just getting used to or still waiting on the arrival of our cars.

I test drove the 40i prior to ordering mine and there was plenty of power. However, I am coming from a F80 M3 and I confident I am going to want more power at some point. I have started researching options and it looks a bit limited. Albeit the B58 engine has been out for a few years and it looks like some tuners just need to update their marketing material.

However, I am curious if anyone is running any ECU upgrades on the X5 40i?

It looks like there are a few options:
Race Chip
https://www.racechip.us/shop/bmw/x5-...-365lb-ft.html

Burger Tuning
http://www.burgertuning.com/B58_JB4_...nce_tuner.html
My humble advice: DON'T buy/use Racechip.

I purchased two Racechip boxes for two of my previous BMWs, one for the M235i and one for an F15 X5 30d. BOTH boxes gave my cars problems, ECU errors and on both I got stranded on the road, both engines got a "protection" reaction while driving and I was forced to shore off the road, turn off the cars so I could pop the hood to disconnect those useless boxes. Once I disconnected them, both cars went on like nothing happened.

I call this company RACESHIT since then. Hope this helps.

Can't comment on Burger Tuning tho.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #71
CoolStory
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
My humble advice: DON'T buy/use Racechip.

I purchased two Racechip boxes for two of my previous BMWs, one for the M235i and one for an F15 X5 30d. BOTH boxes gave my cars problems, ECU errors and on both I got stranded on the road, both engines got a "protection" reaction while driving and I was forced to shore off the road, turn off the cars so I could pop the hood to disconnect those useless boxes. Once I disconnected them, both cars went on like nothing happened.

I call this company RACESHIT since then. Hope this helps.

Can't comment on Burger Tuning tho.
I'd have to agree. I went to a professional tuner who's a Master BMW Tech and has 3 Master Techs working under him. The guy I spoke to highly suggests doing a flash tune if you're going to get the most bang for your buck as well as have the least amount of issues. They sell the piggybacks but he told me to stay away from them. The chips/piggyback options used to be decent but as of late these newer vehicles truly need a flash to get everything done correctly and safely. And since I can flash it back to stock in a matter of seconds if I decide to take it to the dealer, it's a lot less of a pain in the ass than trying to unhook all the junk under the hood as well as the wire feeding through the engine bay into the firewall to plug into the inside of your car for bluetooth support.

So far, I can't believe the amount of power I'm getting.
Appreciate 2
AlexGT416.50
Jenya B144.00
      01-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #72
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Coolstory keep us posted on the TCU flash. I think this is the route id go as well. And get the m performance exhaust when its available.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #73
CoolStory
Rep

Will do! Also wanted to note that I guess I've been babying the car even after the flash.. only punching it a few times.. until today. In Sport mode there are a TON of pops and crackles. Even in Park/Neutral it'll throw pops and cracks while revving. Muahaha!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:32 AM   #74
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Are you able to flash it back to stock without leaving a trace in case you need to take it to the dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStory View Post
Yes, but this car is quiet as a kitten so there wasn't much change in the sound. It's a little bit louder and there are a few more pops and cracks but it's a nice sleeper.

The TCU isn't available for us yet but he said he'd get back to me in a few weeks to let me know when it's unlocked. He said it's a must have.

As far as power, the f30 forum folk with the same B58 as ours are reporting over 100hp with just this flash tune. I'd have to say I totally believe it. The ECU flash changes the default 400hp max gauges in the vehicle to read 480hp/480tq. I know it's just a graphic and not a true dyno but when floored, the HP gauge maxes out at 480 and the TQ is just slightly under it (around 470) and it sure as hell feels like it. I'm extremely impressed and happy with it.

Maybe if I get some time off I'll find an AWD Dyno around here. I'm very impressed though, not sure I need to dyno it since I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #75
CoolStory
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Are you able to flash it back to stock without leaving a trace in case you need to take it to the dealer?
Yes, flashing it back to stock using my own laptop and the software provided by mission takes less than 2 minutes. I've tested it myself with no issues, then flashed it back to the stage 2 tune when done testing.

However, there really isn't a need to flash it back to stock though. I took the X5 to the dealer a few days ago because of a faulty chassis sensor (turned out to be loose screws to the driver's rear height sensor for the suspension). They never said a word about the tune and did the warranty work on the chassis with no issues, even after chassis calibration and overall inspection of the vehicle afterword. I know they went through all of the menus as well because the average mpg was reset and the screens were all on different displays than what I normally keep them on.

Still no update on the transmission flashing, but it's coming. So far without the trans flash it still runs smooth and powerful as hell. Took a 300 mile trip last week and everything runs like a dream.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #76
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Yes, flashing it back to stock using my own laptop and the software provided by mission takes less than 2 minutes. I've tested it myself with no issues, then flashed it back to the stage 2 tune when done testing.

However, there really isn't a need to flash it back to stock though. I took the X5 to the dealer a few days ago because of a faulty chassis sensor (turned out to be loose screws to the driver's rear height sensor for the suspension). They never said a word about the tune and did the warranty work on the chassis with no issues, even after chassis calibration and overall inspection of the vehicle afterword. I know they went through all of the menus as well because the average mpg was reset and the screens were all on different displays than what I normally keep them on.

Still no update on the transmission flashing, but it's coming. So far without the trans flash it still runs smooth and powerful as hell. Took a 300 mile trip last week and everything runs like a dream.
Excellent, this is great information, thank you! I"ll reach out to them now.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #77
Stealthall
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post

Isn't this it?

https://missiontuning.com/bmw-transm...lash-tune.html
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #78
CoolStory
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthall View Post
Yes, that is the one. You can ask them if it works for your VIN. My firmware seemed to be on a higher level (not yet cracked since it was one of the last 2019 produced) than the one they were offering. But if that works for you then I'd get it without hesitation. E-mail them to verify..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #79
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Well that sucks....because I have the Nov 2019 SW update BM3 & Mission wont work for remote flash. I have no interest in sending in my DME...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #80
CoolStory
Rep

Quote:
Well that sucks....because I have the Nov 2019 SW update BM3 & Mission wont work for remote flash. I have no interest in sending in my DME...
Give it some time.. They'll get it eventually. Maybe they'll have the updated transmission flash ready for us as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #81
Stealthall
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Give it some time.. They'll get it eventually. Maybe they'll have the updated transmission flash ready for us as well.
That would be sweet
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #82
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Hey all. Been following every thread about tunes and ECU/ piggybacks and about to do the mission tune but had a couple questions. So far no return on my emails or call to them. I have a 2020 40i and 11/2019.55 software.

1)Does this mean I cannot do remote flash? What is the process without remote , short of driving it there to get this tuned?

2)I see it is $100 more for “stage 2”. Are there any downsides of going stage 2? The money seems small for more gain? I don’t plan on DPs or any other mods. Only have 91 octane and E85 gas near me.

Thanks in advance for any help until I can get the company to respond to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #83
jole996
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn2Srf View Post
Hey all. Been following every thread about tunes and ECU/ piggybacks and about to do the mission tune but had a couple questions. So far no return on my emails or call to them. I have a 2020 40i and 11/2019.55 software.

1)Does this mean I cannot do remote flash? What is the process without remote , short of driving it there to get this tuned?

2)I see it is $100 more for “stage 2”. Are there any downsides of going stage 2? The money seems small for more gain? I don’t plan on DPs or any other mods. Only have 91 octane and E85 gas near me.

Thanks in advance for any help until I can get the company to respond to me.
Had a chat with them last week, no support yet. DME unlock not done yet. We will have to be patient for a few more months.
B58 is not a problem, ECU unlock still is for newer (2020) vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #84
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole996 View Post
Had a chat with them last week, no support yet. DME unlock not done yet. We will have to be patient for a few more months.
Thank you for the update. What is this patience you speak of?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #85
jole996
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn2Srf View Post
Thank you for the update. What is this patience you speak of?
I wish I knew...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #86
CoolStory
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole996 View Post
Not only the newer vehicles are locked, but mine was remotely flashed by BMW and they over-wrote the ECU flash. So everything is reset back to factory/stock, all the HP gain is now lost and the ECU is now listed as LOCKED in the Mission Tune software.

Those of you who do have an ECU Flash, do not allow the car to do the flash upgrade or you'll lose your tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 05:19 AM   #87
CoolStory
Rep

Going to post an update; after a year and spending a grand on a stage 2 tune that worked for only a few months..... STILL nothing from Mission or the shop that did the tune. So I'm out a thousand dollars for just a month worth of extra power.... And STILL no word on the TCU upgrade that they promised.

However, even though I definitely did feel the difference of power when I had it, it really isn't/wasn't that big of a difference. If I was drag racing, sure, absolutely, difference of power is necessary. Every day driving? Pulling out in traffic, getting on the freeway? The X5 40i is just as capable as any other vehicle on the road to pull out into traffic and either get ahead or zip into ANY situation without the tune. Do I miss the tune? Absolutely, because I'm a gear-head. Does it change whether or not I can pull out in traffic or get in front of some jackass that won't let me in? Nope. The X5 40i has more than enough power to spook and jump in front any of the idiots on the road trying to block you... unless they're driving some 700+ HP beast.

Conclusion: I bought the x40i because they had no M or 50i on the lot at the time. For a few months I wish I had held out for the gas guzzling M. After getting the tune, which gave me as much if not more HP than the M, I was a bit happy, yet it wasn't used... at all. When the over-the-air update wiped it, I was pissed for sure. But after a year now of driving and realizing that most vehicles on the road still cannot out-match the power of a stock 40i, I realized there was absolutely no need. I not only saved money on a fully loaded vehicle, but I have more than enough power to scoot through traffic without an issue. And let's face it.. this is an SUV... We're not going drag racing any time soon (even though we easily could), so owning an M or 50i as an SUV is just useless. If you want to race up and down the road, go spend half the money on a Corvette and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:05 AM   #88
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

Turbo Transformer...
Appreciate 0