cesimeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 MSport, 2018 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
1000 miles in......left me stranded!

Did some searching, haven't seen anybody with the same issue unless I missed it.

Just a normal evening..parked the car, shut it off and locked it.

Went back 20-30 minutes later, all seemed normal, doors unlocked, Connected profile recognized and displayed on screen, apply brake and push start button...........nothing. Try again......nothing. "Hold key to column" message pops up...tried this with no luck.

Fortunately not too far from home so I went and grabbed my spare key (note: I was not able to lock my car at this point, welcome screen was displayed, cluster still illuminated showing total miles and picture of vehicle). Leaving key #1 a great distance from vehicle, I tried key #2.....no dice!

My inclination was to disconnect the negative and let this thing reset....I worked as a technician for years and know my way around cars/trucks in general but considering all the tech packed into these new cars I was a bit hesitant....the fact that I just paid $72k for this thing contributed to that hesitancy!!

Placed a call to Roadside and they kindly connected me to the MT Line (Master Tech) !? I didn't know this existed, the gentleman was able to walk me through some in depth troubleshooting....as opposed to the "change your key battery" approach you would get from the person that answers the phones.

Long story long....at the time my 12' box trailer was hooked up with my 2 race bikes in it ready for the weekend....parked in a tight spot....towing to the dealer wasn't really an option without leaving me in a very tricky situation.

The last straw was disconnect trunk battery....even though the gentleman on the phone insisted this wasn't a good idea. Let it sit for 15-20mins and voila! It started and has been fine for the last couple days. He explained a known issue in the G bodies with the BDC Module and how this could be a contributing factor and I should have it checked. Has anybody had a similar issue? I guess advice is useless because it needs to go to the dealer but I guess I'm looking more for intel to wrap my head around it.....hopefully if someone else gets stranded like this they can just disconnect their battery for 15 instead of spending 3 hours on the phone with roadside!!!!!!
      02-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesimeone View Post
Did some searching, haven't seen anybody with the same issue unless I missed it.

Just a normal evening..parked the car, shut it off and locked it.

Went back 20-30 minutes later, all seemed normal, doors unlocked, Connected profile recognized and displayed on screen, apply brake and push start button...........nothing. Try again......nothing. "Hold key to column" message pops up...tried this with no luck.

The last straw was disconnect trunk battery....even though the gentleman on the phone insisted this wasn't a good idea. Let it sit for 15-20mins and voila! It started and has been fine for the last couple days. He explained a known issue in the G bodies with the BDC Module and how this could be a contributing factor and I should have it checked. Has anybody had a similar issue? I guess advice is useless because it needs to go to the dealer but I guess I'm looking more for intel to wrap my head around it.....hopefully if someone else gets stranded like this they can just disconnect their battery for 15 instead of spending 3 hours on the phone with roadside!!!!!!
Interesting but sad post Thanks for sharing! This supposes that you already had the proper size wrench for the battery terminal with you in the car. Is that a 10mm open end by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
cesimeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Fortunately I had the trailer connected in which I have a full toolbox so I can work on/make adjustments to my bikes trackside.

I actually used a 10mm deep socket + 1/4" ratchet but a wrench would suffice.
      02-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Is this normal??? No. See your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
cesimeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Hi Mystro.....funny enough I was just reading your road trip post! Glad you and the fam had a nice time....I live down in Florida now but originally from the northeast so I know the "truck weather" you speak of well!

Is it normal!!!??? I would hope not! I've had X5's since X5's were born....never ever ever had any issues. Oil, filters, brakes, tires, wiper blades...that's it. I swear my G05 has gremlins.....wind whistling at highway speeds, this key issue, a damaged lower dash/knee board from manufacturing. So much for the 1 month wait after ordering it!

Almost want my F15 back!
      02-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #6
THinthedesert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

I've had a few occasions where my X5 doesn't want to recognize my key fob either, and I read someone else had the same issue here on the Forum.

Their suggestion was to push the "Lock" button on the key fob which should lock the doors and it did for me, then everything will work correctly and they were correct. Not sure if that would have been a remedy for you or not but if it happens again, you may want to give it a try. It always works fo me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesimeone View Post
Hi Mystro.....funny enough I was just reading your road trip post! Glad you and the fam had a nice time....I live down in Florida now but originally from the northeast so I know the "truck weather" you speak of well!

Is it normal!!!??? I would hope not! I've had X5's since X5's were born....never ever ever had any issues. Oil, filters, brakes, tires, wiper blades...that's it. I swear my G05 has gremlins.....wind whistling at highway speeds, this key issue, a damaged lower dash/knee board from manufacturing. So much for the 1 month wait after ordering it!

Almost want my F15 back!
I have not seen your exact “non-start” issue on the forum so my guess is your dealer should be able to identify the issue. Since you could clear it by a power cut off, it sounds like there should have been a code associated with it. I would “think” it should be obvious but with how technical our X5 is now it’s hard to tell. There have been some defective key identification issues reported. Those tend to give the “Key not in the vehicle” notification on the display.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THinthedesert View Post
I've had a few occasions where my X5 doesn't want to recognize my key fob either, and I read someone else had the same issue here on the Forum.

Their suggestion was to push the "Lock" button on the key fob which should lock the doors and it did for me, then everything will work correctly and they were correct. Not sure if that would have been a remedy for you or not but if it happens again, you may want to give it a try. It always works fo me.
That sounds like a security system malfunction killing the ability to not start the car. By pressing the lock button, it sends a reset/clear code to the security system. My gut is telling me both the OP and yours is a security system malfunction since the OP could clear it by cutting the power and doing a hard reset to the car. Pressing “lock” on the key fob may have cleared the OP’s issue???
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I have not seen your exact “non-start” issue on the forum so my guess is your dealer should be able to identify the issue. Since you could clear it by a power cut off, it sounds like there should have been a code associated with it. I would “think” it should be obvious but with how technical our X5 is now it’s hard to tell. There have been some defective key identification issues reported. Those tend to give the “Key not in the vehicle” notification on the display.
Does the G05 at any time require you to place the key fob next to the right side of the steering column for identification? Every once in a while my X3 does and I have never understood why cause the fob battery is ok. If you look at the right side of the steering column is there a symbol indicating that's where it wants the key held?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #10
cesimeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Okay so a couple things....

Utilizing my digital key the gentleman at roadside was able to run remote diagnostics on the vehicle during this no start situation and after we finally got it started. I am sure he cannot see as much as the dealership technician can plugging in but either way he saw no faults remotely. Good one on the fault log Mystro, I'd be surprised if the vehicle DIDNT log this event.

Regarding the lock button on the fob, this was one of the first things I was instructed to do once connected with Roadside. The vehicle wasn't responding to either of the remotes....at all. The only thing I was able to do was use the blade key from inside the fob and lock/unlock the drivers door only.

The steering column key identification....yes this is a "thing", all of my BMWs have it.....the 17' X5, the 18' 330 and the 20' X5. I've never had to use it though!

I plan on bringing it to the dealer for diag ASAP, away on business currently so patiently waiting to be home.
      02-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Well, keep us posted, will ya? Would be interested in understanding what the dealer has to say and what they do. So I guess you'll be keeping a 10mm wrench in the boot, eh?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #12
cesimeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Hahahahaha I probably should eh?
      02-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Yes, please report back. This is how we keep a running log of issues and how common. We tend to find firmware updates have solved most of the nagging early ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #14
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Just curious to know from the others experience; Was the OP able to hit the inside door LOCK button (where all the windows controls are there) and lock the car when needed to go and get his Key FOB #2?

I don't know if it would work or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #15
cesimeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Hi Freddy,
Unfortunately no, I was not able to lock the doors with the internal door controls.

A little tidbit......the only thing that did lock the doors was my BMW Connected App!

I was under the impression that the App could also start the car, the Roadside Technician also thought that was standard for the G's. I know the remote start function was in the optional equip list but I was hopping to get lucky. Not so much.

Anybody use the remote start function within the app?
      02-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #16
cesimeone
Private
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I am not really keen on the BMW Connected app as it has failed me in the past hence why I weighed it out as an option for this typical scenario. It was only after an hour of messing around with the car that the gentleman at Roadside suggested trying to communicate with the car via the app.

I guess that was the one thing that would communicate......my faith is restored-ish......