BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #67
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
I took my vehicle back in on March 10th for the same annoying, frequent creaking sound. I heard back from the dealer today, two days later. Their communication to me below.

"Good morning, M****e here. BMW engineering was out here yesterday to inspect your vehicle. They have confirmed the same noise. This information was reported back to headquarters in New Jersey, and we are waiting for BWM to report back to us with the next move."

I do believe the dealer is doing what they can within their power, but even though problem has been escalated to the highest levels, there is no resolve in sight. I am considering requesting a new vehicle as my 2020 M50i has been at the dealer for a total of 41 days so far.

Any constructive thoughts?
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #68
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmjk View Post
I took my vehicle back in on March 10th for the same annoying, frequent creaking sound. I heard back from the dealer today, two days later. Their communication to me below.

"Good morning, M****e here. BMW engineering was out here yesterday to inspect your vehicle. They have confirmed the same noise. This information was reported back to headquarters in New Jersey, and we are waiting for BWM to report back to us with the next move."

I do believe the dealer is doing what they can within their power, but even though problem has been escalated to the highest levels, there is no resolve in sight. I am considering requesting a new vehicle as my 2020 M50i has been at the dealer for a total of 41 days so far.

Any constructive thoughts?
You may want to look into the Michigan Lemon Law so you will know what your options are. Here's the link --> https://www.lemonlaw.com/michigan-le...questions.html

You'll see this on the landing page.. .. "If your car is in the shop 30 days or more in the first 12 months or in the express warranty period (whichever comes first), consecutive or not, we can file a claim under the Law."

I don't know how bad or annoying the creaking sound is or even if its structural which might totally fail at some point down the road but just the fact that you have been without your car for that long would certainly prompt me to take action.
Appreciate 1
radmjk238.00
      03-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #69
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I heard back from the dealer this am, see below.

"BMW has given us repair instructions. They want us to take your vehicle back to Service King, which my shop foreman and service manager will do this morning. This is a repair that BMW has started doing to new vehicle during production to prevent the noise moving forward."

Sounds kinda like a rather big issue as they are doing this during manufacturing now! I guess I'll see where this goes before taking it to the next step.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #70
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I heard back from the dealer this am, see below.

"BMW has given us repair instructions. They want us to take your vehicle back to Service King, which my shop foreman and service manager will do this morning. This is a repair that BMW has started doing to new vehicle during production to prevent the noise moving forward."

Sounds kinda like a rather big issue as they are doing this during manufacturing now! I guess I'll see where this goes before taking it to the next step.
What is Service King? and what do they mean by "taking it back" to Service King. Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #71
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
What is Service King? and what do they mean by "taking it back" to Service King. Any idea?
Service King is the auto body shop this BMW dealer sends all of their vehicles to for body repair. During the first lengthy time they had my vehicle for 28 days, it was at Service King for 10 of them while they "fixed" my vehicle to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #72
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Can't wait to hear what happens with this! Hoping it's not a very invasive repair. The noise is so annoying. Hopefully if you get a service bulletin number then I can give to my dealer. I first reported this noise to my dealer in January 2019.
Appreciate 1
radmjk238.00
      03-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #73
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Service King is the auto body shop this BMW dealer sends all of their vehicles to for body repair. During the first lengthy time they had my vehicle for 28 days, it was at Service King for 10 of them while they "fixed" my vehicle to no avail.
Ok, thanks for the explanation. Well, I would ask for a report from them that fully details what they did. If I were you, I would want this for the first time it was there too (if you don't already have it). Its your car and you deserve to understand what others are doing to it. Its also info you may need if you choose to go down the lemon law path.
Appreciate 1
radmjk238.00
      03-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #74
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Ok, So I picked up my vehicle for the 3rd time (49 total days at dealer) for the same fix regarding the rear passenger area creaking sound. Lets hope 3rd time is a charm. So far the creak is gone, but it was like this right after the previous two times that it was in the shop. So, I will report back in a week or two, either way. I don' have the paperwork yet, but I'll post if it offers any insight on the repair once i receive it.

I was told that they performed a stronger more robust weld to the area that apparently was not properly fused during production.

By the way, I fairly thoroughly sanitized all handles, buttons, switches and steering wheel before driving off.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #75
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Hope it lasts. Did they give any verbal indication of where exactly the problem spot was?
Appreciate 1
hkleyman135.00
      03-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #76
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Hope it lasts. Did they give any verbal indication of where exactly the problem spot was?
I was not given any further info on the correction other than it was in same location as before, beneath the rear seat, right side. I am still waiting for the paperwork.

I can say, it has been a few more days now since my last post and it has NOT returned. I am hopeful now that it is completely corrected. The dealer is waiting to hear back from me in the next few days so they can report back to BMW engineering.

Once I receive the paperwork I can post.
Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50
      03-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #77
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I was not given any further info on the correction other than it was in same location as before, beneath the rear seat, right side. I am still waiting for the paperwork.

I can say, it has been a few more days now since my last post and it has NOT returned. I am hopeful now that it is completely corrected. The dealer is waiting to hear back from me in the next few days so they can report back to BMW engineering.

Once I receive the paperwork I can post.
I have this rattle as well. It sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger seat side. Can you please PM me when you have details since my dealer is trying to hunt it down too.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 07:39 PM   #78
Sunwar
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 (2019)

Hi...not sure if this will help, but I sorted my rattle noise coming from the rear....
This is what I did...

The hood has two clips that slide into the side of the inner side of the boot on the car...Use a regular Electrical insulation tape to tape that clip end ...dont go too thick...

The rattle stopped for me...Good Luck all
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #79
Ringo2712
Private
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Can you please show pictures of the exact location and where you put the tape?
Thks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 08:59 PM   #80
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunwar View Post
Hi...not sure if this will help, but I sorted my rattle noise coming from the rear....
This is what I did...

The hood has two clips that slide into the side of the inner side of the boot on the car...Use a regular Electrical insulation tape to tape that clip end ...dont go too thick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo2712 View Post
Thks
Just to be clear, my (OP) long standing creaking sound is Fixed. It was corrected with apparent substantial welding beneath the rear passenger seat bench. I am still waiting on the service paperwork, delayed due to the virus.
Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50
      04-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #81
bqvalen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05, 2016 F15, 2019 XC60

I'd also be curious to see pics of the electrical tape fix... My noise is 97% gone after adjusting the bump stops for the tailgate.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #82
Sunwar
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 (2019)

Quote:
Thks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqvalen View Post
I'd also be curious to see pics of the electrical tape fix... My noise is 97% gone after adjusting the bump stops for the tailgate.
Im not quite sure how to paste a photo, so I found the YouTube video that helped me sort my rattle....and here it is...

Good Luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRyKS52ROyA
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #83
acbrunton
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020 G05

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I posted over in the F15 forum a reply when I saw this video posted there. Going to give this a try today. I have one of three issues:

1) Back lift gate catches are loose - Remedy Tape
2) Back seat catches are loose - Remedy Tape
3) Hydraulic spare tire cover - Remedy, shim and tighten with felt tape

#1) is the most likely issue for me since I had passengers in the back seats helping to listen and localize the noise. We all agreed it was the lift gate.

Sounds like a not fully closed door going over certain bumps or dips, or even pulling out of the driveway.

@bqvalen - How did you adjust the bump stops? Would like to have this as an option as well.
      06-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #84
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im not quite sure how to paste a photo, so I found the YouTube video that helped me sort my rattle....and here it is...

Good Luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRyKS52ROyA
Sunwar, Here is how to upload a pic or several pix from your puter to the forum.. ..

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #85
acbrunton
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Thumbs up

The lift gate clunk/ creak problem is fixed!!!
Problem:
Clunk/rattle/groan/creak from the rear cargo area. Sounds like a door isn't fully closed , clunk, bang, groan.
I took 3 the following actions,
1) Wrapped the lower tailgate latch loops in black electrical tape. Be careful here. If the tape application is too thick the tail gate won't close and latch, you'll know. I wrapped the upper portion of the loop, (with tailgate down), and the side.
2) I applied the tape wrap to the lift gate latch, again, not too much. (see video).
3) I pulled the trim around the lift gate latch and bumpers, no tools needed, just be careful, be patient.
4) Use a small plumbers wrench, or other adjustable grip wrench to turn the bumpers out, counter-clockwise. Once loose, fingers work.
5) Repeatedly opened and closed the lift gate. The open action sounds harsh, so I started to back off the bumpers, (turn in clockwise). I continued to test, open/close, and test for the noise. (I did this by pushing down on the lift gate just below the back window. I initially notice a creak, groan, knock when I did this with the vehicle in problematic state.
5) Once I completed all this, both tailgate an lift gate open and close normally.
6) Pushing down on the lift gate generates no noise.
7) Test drive on same roads, no sound system, focusing on the noise.
8) Noise gone!!!!

Thank you everyone on this forum for posting your issues and remedies. This one worked great!!
      06-29-2020, 12:13 AM   #86
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by acbrunton View Post
The lift gate clunk/ creak problem is fixed!!!
Problem:
Clunk/rattle/groan/creak from the rear cargo area. Sounds like a door isn't fully closed , clunk, bang, groan.
I took 3 the following actions,
1) Wrapped the lower tailgate latch loops in black electrical tape. Be careful here. If the tape application is too thick the tail gate won't close and latch, you'll know. I wrapped the upper portion of the loop, (with tailgate down), and the side.
2) I applied the tape wrap to the lift gate latch, again, not too much. (see video).
3) I pulled the trim around the lift gate latch and bumpers, no tools needed, just be careful, be patient.
4) Use a small plumbers wrench, or other adjustable grip wrench to turn the bumpers out, counter-clockwise. Once loose, fingers work.
5) Repeatedly opened and closed the lift gate. The open action sounds harsh, so I started to back off the bumpers, (turn in clockwise). I continued to test, open/close, and test for the noise. (I did this by pushing down on the lift gate just below the back window. I initially notice a creak, groan, knock when I did this with the vehicle in problematic state.
5) Once I completed all this, both tailgate an lift gate open and close normally.
6) Pushing down on the lift gate generates no noise.
7) Test drive on same roads, no sound system, focusing on the noise.
8) Noise gone!!!!

Thank you everyone on this forum for posting your issues and remedies. This one worked great!!
Not seeing a video, I'd love to know what you did to the lower tailgate. I haven't been messing with it, only the adjustable bump stops and I have the same noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #87
acbrunton
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Tailgate Rattle Fixes

Sorry for the late reply post. I don't have a video, but a few pictures.

1) Electrical tape on the upper lift gate latches, (as shown in the you tube video).
2) Upper lift gate bumpers turned out. These were flush to slightly inside the trim work before I started. Quite frankly, I think this made the most difference. When I open the lift gate now, it "pops" when the latch releases.
3) As an added measure, I added electrical tape to the latch loops of the lower tailgate. Picture is with the gate down. Tape is on the loop member that the latching mechanism will catch. Really, the only loop member you can reach. :-)
Attached Images

hkleyman135.00
      07-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #88
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
This is what I did...

Quote:
Thks
Just to be clear, my (OP) long standing creaking sound is Fixed. It was corrected with apparent substantial welding beneath the rear passenger seat bench. I am still waiting on the service paperwork, delayed due to the virus.
Hello Radmjk, did you got your final paperwork? Mine is at the dealership for two weeks now and they still haven't fix the noise. I believe we have the same noise from the passenger rear. Please if you still have the paperwork, can you share them with us. Thank you so much.
BTW my 2020 330IX loner has been extremely quiet and solid, no noise of any kind.
Appreciate 0