BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #67
radmjk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 20 RRS SE

Garage List
I took my vehicle back in on March 10th for the same annoying, frequent creaking sound. I heard back from the dealer today, two days later. Their communication to me below.

"Good morning, M****e here. BMW engineering was out here yesterday to inspect your vehicle. They have confirmed the same noise. This information was reported back to headquarters in New Jersey, and we are waiting for BWM to report back to us with the next move."

I do believe the dealer is doing what they can within their power, but even though problem has been escalated to the highest levels, there is no resolve in sight. I am considering requesting a new vehicle as my 2020 M50i has been at the dealer for a total of 41 days so far.

Any constructive thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #68
Marty in NY
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i, '18 GTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmjk View Post
I took my vehicle back in on March 10th for the same annoying, frequent creaking sound. I heard back from the dealer today, two days later. Their communication to me below.

"Good morning, M****e here. BMW engineering was out here yesterday to inspect your vehicle. They have confirmed the same noise. This information was reported back to headquarters in New Jersey, and we are waiting for BWM to report back to us with the next move."

I do believe the dealer is doing what they can within their power, but even though problem has been escalated to the highest levels, there is no resolve in sight. I am considering requesting a new vehicle as my 2020 M50i has been at the dealer for a total of 41 days so far.

Any constructive thoughts?
You may want to look into the Michigan Lemon Law so you will know what your options are. Here's the link --> https://www.lemonlaw.com/michigan-le...questions.html

You'll see this on the landing page.. .. "If your car is in the shop 30 days or more in the first 12 months or in the express warranty period (whichever comes first), consecutive or not, we can file a claim under the Law."

I don't know how bad or annoying the creaking sound is or even if its structural which might totally fail at some point down the road but just the fact that you have been without your car for that long would certainly prompt me to take action.
Appreciate 1
radmjk65.50

03-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #69
radmjk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I heard back from the dealer this am, see below.

"BMW has given us repair instructions. They want us to take your vehicle back to Service King, which my shop foreman and service manager will do this morning. This is a repair that BMW has started doing to new vehicle during production to prevent the noise moving forward."

Sounds kinda like a rather big issue as they are doing this during manufacturing now! I guess I'll see where this goes before taking it to the next step.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #70
Marty in NY
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I heard back from the dealer this am, see below.

"BMW has given us repair instructions. They want us to take your vehicle back to Service King, which my shop foreman and service manager will do this morning. This is a repair that BMW has started doing to new vehicle during production to prevent the noise moving forward."

Sounds kinda like a rather big issue as they are doing this during manufacturing now! I guess I'll see where this goes before taking it to the next step.
What is Service King? and what do they mean by "taking it back" to Service King. Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #71
radmjk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
What is Service King? and what do they mean by "taking it back" to Service King. Any idea?
Service King is the auto body shop this BMW dealer sends all of their vehicles to for body repair. During the first lengthy time they had my vehicle for 28 days, it was at Service King for 10 of them while they "fixed" my vehicle to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #72
X5_CC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Can't wait to hear what happens with this! Hoping it's not a very invasive repair. The noise is so annoying. Hopefully if you get a service bulletin number then I can give to my dealer. I first reported this noise to my dealer in January 2019.
Appreciate 1
radmjk65.50

03-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #73
Marty in NY
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Service King is the auto body shop this BMW dealer sends all of their vehicles to for body repair. During the first lengthy time they had my vehicle for 28 days, it was at Service King for 10 of them while they "fixed" my vehicle to no avail.
Ok, thanks for the explanation. Well, I would ask for a report from them that fully details what they did. If I were you, I would want this for the first time it was there too (if you don't already have it). Its your car and you deserve to understand what others are doing to it. Its also info you may need if you choose to go down the lemon law path.
Appreciate 1
radmjk65.50

03-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #74
radmjk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok, So I picked up my vehicle for the 3rd time (49 total days at dealer) for the same fix regarding the rear passenger area creaking sound. Lets hope 3rd time is a charm. So far the creak is gone, but it was like this right after the previous two times that it was in the shop. So, I will report back in a week or two, either way. I don' have the paperwork yet, but I'll post if it offers any insight on the repair once i receive it.

I was told that they performed a stronger more robust weld to the area that apparently was not properly fused during production.

By the way, I fairly thoroughly sanitized all handles, buttons, switches and steering wheel before driving off.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #75
X5_CC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Hope it lasts. Did they give any verbal indication of where exactly the problem spot was?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #76
radmjk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Hope it lasts. Did they give any verbal indication of where exactly the problem spot was?
I was not given any further info on the correction other than it was in same location as before, beneath the rear seat, right side. I am still waiting for the paperwork.

I can say, it has been a few more days now since my last post and it has NOT returned. I am hopeful now that it is completely corrected. The dealer is waiting to hear back from me in the next few days so they can report back to BMW engineering.

Once I receive the paperwork I can post.
Appreciate 1
X5_CC199.50

03-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #77
130FeetDeep
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I was not given any further info on the correction other than it was in same location as before, beneath the rear seat, right side. I am still waiting for the paperwork.

I can say, it has been a few more days now since my last post and it has NOT returned. I am hopeful now that it is completely corrected. The dealer is waiting to hear back from me in the next few days so they can report back to BMW engineering.

Once I receive the paperwork I can post.
I have this rattle as well. It sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger seat side. Can you please PM me when you have details since my dealer is trying to hunt it down too.
Appreciate 0