BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Interview Process Etiquette

I guess I'm looking for opinions on what you think would be appropriate given my situation.

I'm looking to switch jobs and the field I work in (auditing) is filled with recruiters. I literally have weeks where I'm contacted by 5-10 different recruiters soliciting various positions. That being said, I formed a business relationship with one who got me in contact with a company that I'd love to work for. I had a phone interview and then a case study, both of which went well. The recruiter let me know they would be interested in bringing me in for an in person interview (this was on June 26 and it would consist of meeting with 5 different people in the company). I know this was right before July 4th, so a lot of people were off, but I still have yet to hear about a date that would be good for me to go in for an interview. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to contact the company directly (the person I had the phone interview with) or just keep waiting for the recruiter. It's been almost 3 weeks since I got the word they wanted me to come in, so I'm just finding it hard to comprehend that they couldn't nail down a time to even offer me to come in.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Well, is it a public company? If so, this is most likely quarter end right now and they're busy. I know mine is and an interview would be at the bottom of the list of priorities.

Contact the recruiter though and see, no harm in contacting him. I wouldn't yet contact the company directly.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Contact the recruiter though and see, no harm in contacting him.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Well, is it a public company? If so, this is most likely quarter end right now and they're busy. I know mine is and an interview would be at the bottom of the list of priorities.

Contact the recruiter though and see, no harm in contacting him. I wouldn't yet contact the company directly.
Thanks, no it's not a public company but it's a very large private company. I just wouldn't think the auditing department would be so affected by quarter close as their work seems to be more linear (walkthroughs, process improvements, things of that nature), but I guess it's possible.

The recruiter is actually a her and she emailed me on Monday letting me know that a lot of people were off last week within the department. I guess I just need to be patient.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Sounds like they are interested in you but may not have the need for an additional person right now, not urgently anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Just be patient. It's hard to schedule interviews in the summer with everyone's vacation schedules. I work for a large public company and the hiring process takes forever. No harm in following up with the recruiter periodically. It lets them know your interested. GL!
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

If the recruiter made first contact with you continue to utilize the recruiter unless the company gave you a point of contact for questions/concerns. It's a recruiters job to find qualified candidates so feel free to contact them, it shows your willingness to work and gets them on the ball with getting you into a position. If the company didn't give you a point of contact and you continue to call you might become a nuisance and that won't bode too well for you. Often times HR moves really slow and patience is the key.

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I would stay patient; it seems to be a scheduling issue. Keep in mind that outside recruiters don't get paid until they place someone so they are definitely motivated.

I was in a similar situation a while back where the final interview was with 4 people and it took a while to schedule those 4 people on the same day. The phone interviews were very quick, then I had to wait a little while before they managed to find a day where the schedules were in sync.

I wouldn't contact the company directly yet. They'll likely just say they're busy and direct you back to the recruiter. Often times the people who screen you on the phone aren't HR, they're managers and such so contacting one of them will be awkward for everyone involved. I'm on the other side of it now and sometimes help with interviews. If someone just called me out of the blue, I'd send them back to the recruiter for updates because I wouldn't have any. At larger companies, there is always a process, it's not like a small business where you could call up the person hiring who is probably the owner and talk to him/her directly.

If you were being recruited for a sales position, then it can be beneficial to call the company directly if the recruiter is too slow. They usually like people who take initiative and wouldn't be offended.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Rule of thumb for contacting folks in the job search: once every two weeks is acceptable and appropriate, once every week is borderline obsessive, more than once a week is stalker-ish.
      07-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Got it, thanks for the comments everyone! I'll hold tight and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Rule of thumb for contacting folks in the job search: once every two weeks is acceptable and appropriate, once every week is borderline obsessive, more than once a week is stalker-ish.
It also depends on the industry/position. I don't think I saw the job title/company so maybe I am missing something. If this job was an acquisitions role, and the potential candidate didn't have the talent of coming up with a reason to open a door for a call, I wouldn't ever hire them. Anybody that doesn't have enough ambition to pick up the phone and call me a single time will rarely get the job. But then again a desperate potential employee is a huge red flag for me as well... So.... OP go with your gut, there isn't a right or wrong answer until you choose one.

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Couldn't help myself.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-16-2015, 03:56 AM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

If you want to know where the firm is in the recruitment process, call your contact -- the recruiter or the firm contact -- and ask. There's nothing wrong with asking. Where there might be something "wrong" is how you handle the answer you receive.

My suggestion is that you contact "whomever" and ask. Take a few days and consider the answer you receive, and go from there. You can freely express to an third party recruiter that you want to leave your current firm. If you are in a hurry to leave your current firm, speak with the recruiter (assuming he's not firm employee) about other firms that may be hiring and ask whether he is prohibited (ethically or contractualy) from referring you to them. Being recruited isn't like being married, or even like most folks feel about being boyfriend and girlfriend. Regardless of your current recruiter's feedback, you are still free to open discussions with other recruiters.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #14
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Ghgg
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #15
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

HR at big companies does take a while to process interviews and what not. There's a lot of communication that happens amongst them internally. Summer time is hard for interviews because people do take off.

The best advise I can give you is to utilize your recruiter as much as possible, email them every day if you want. Recruiters only get paid if you get the job.....so they want to get you into a job ASAP and depending on their contract, sometimes their pay is based on a % of what your salary is, so they want to get you as much money as they can. (dont worry, their pay doesnt come out of your paycheck)

The only problem I have with recruiters is that they arent familiar with every job field. So for example, if you're looking for a job in the tech field, they'll try to match you up with as many jobs as they think is in your expertise, regardless of whether it actually is or isnt. So you'll get a lot of bogus interviews for jobs you dont want....but thats part of the game.
      07-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I just went through the same thing! Almost. I want to sleep with one of the women who interviewed me, she had a fat ass.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
HR at big companies does take a while to process interviews and what not. There's a lot of communication that happens amongst them internally. Summer time is hard for interviews because people do take off.

The best advise I can give you is to utilize your recruiter as much as possible, email them every day if you want. Recruiters only get paid if you get the job.....so they want to get you into a job ASAP and depending on their contract, sometimes their pay is based on a % of what your salary is, so they want to get you as much money as they can. (dont worry, their pay doesnt come out of your paycheck)

The only problem I have with recruiters is that they arent familiar with every job field. So for example, if you're looking for a job in the tech field, they'll try to match you up with as many jobs as they think is in your expertise, regardless of whether it actually is or isnt. So you'll get a lot of bogus interviews for jobs you dont want....but thats part of the game.
Yes! I'm very familiar with that.

Good luck OP. You should contact the recruiter 1x week.
      07-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #18
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I just went through the same thing! Almost. I want to sleep with one of the women who interviewed me, she had a fat ass.
Pics or GTFO
      07-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #19
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Pics or GTFO
She was nothing special honestly, she just looked like she would be a decent lay. No I would brag about her, or take her out with my friends.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #20
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

if you're in NE FL or willing to move, our audit department has some openings for staff and seniors...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #21
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
She was nothing special honestly, she just looked like she would be a decent lay. No I would brag about her, or take her out with my friends.
ohhh one of those.
      07-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #22
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
if you're in NE FL or willing to move, our audit department has some openings for staff and seniors...
Oh yeah?
Appreciate 0