BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #23
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Mine wouldn’t extend yesterday. 2nd trip of the day and persisted. Will see if it is still broken today. Sept 2019 build M50i. 07/2019.70 istep.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:53 AM   #24
Roberoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M Sport

I have had this issue since Monday. It’s with the dealer now but the part required is on back order with no estimate of being available!

Crazy!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #25
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

Same issue with mine. It moves up and down but does not move forward or backwards. Luckily it’s stuck in the position I want it. Service due soon so I’ll bring it in when I bring the car in for service. Is this a software issue? I’m currently on 7/2019.53
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #26
Roberoo
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ve been told it’s an issue with a module. Needs replacing but it’s on back order 😧
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #27
ckm1515
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberoo View Post
I’ve been told it’s an issue with a module. Needs replacing but it’s on back order 😧
Yup my 2020 X5 had same issue after 400 miles. Needed a steering column replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #28
concept
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
At least your dealer managed to find a fault. Dick Lovett in Bristol were shocking with mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #29
Roberoo
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
Quote:
At least your dealer managed to find a fault. Dick Lovett in Bristol were shocking with mine.
Mine has now been repaired. Took about 5 days for part to arrive from back order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #30
eklipse
Rep
Drives: X 45e (jan 2020)

Hi guys/girls

I have a similar issue with my X5 G05 45e
the little button on the steering column is working fine, I can set the steering wheel where I want. BUT when it comes to keep it in memory, it now fails.
If I enter the car, the steering wheel goes up & retract. fine, perfect
but then after I "start", it does not come back 90%, 5% in a mid position, 5% in correct position.
I also noticed it does not remember that I preset "electric only" as default mode
and also when I close the car, the ext. mirrors don't flip anymore, unless I keep pressing the close button (while the setting is set to flip them when I close the car, of course)

I already executed an iDrive reboot (pressed 30' volume button)
no change at all.

any idea ?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #31
Graydon3112
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 45eM

Steering wheel extension

My G05 M50d steering wheel no longer automatically extends either. It retracts when I exit the car but then I have to manually extend it when i get back in. Also the mirrors don't retract when I lock the car unless I keep the lock pressed. All very strange.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #32
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydon3112 View Post
My G05 M50d steering wheel no longer automatically extends either. It retracts when I exit the car but then I have to manually extend it when i get back in. Also the mirrors don't retract when I lock the car unless I keep the lock pressed. All very strange.
Mine got the same, but ended up that battery was low so it reset this settings to default when I entered the car. I just decided to drive a few hours with minium energy consumption to charge it up and now all back to normal.
      05-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #33
valkrien
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i

My 2020 X5 just started the same problem today. I can adjust the column up and down but all of a sudden it no longer extends and retracts. Button doesn't do anything. I reset the IDrive system twice and still nothing. No error codes on the OBD scanner. Guess it's going to be a service visit unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:04 AM   #34
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestnDoc View Post
Anybody had any issues with the steering wheel not extending back to the preset position? Mine has stopped working, I can move it up and down, but can not extend it with the controller on the left side of the steering column. This car has been such a colossal disappointment.
Hey mate. Mine just suffered this . Dealer just rang me. Known fault. They are replacing the steering column. Only 5 months old.

Will go up and down just not extend or retract.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:28 AM   #35
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Hey mate. Mine just suffered this . Dealer just rang me. Known fault. They are replacing the steering column. Only 5 months old.

Looks like this is an issue for 30d's too.

Did they mention anything about a "recall"?

If its a known issue or fault, I'm hoping they recall them - but replacing the entire steering column isn't a small job.

I agree, these cars are beautiful to drive, but they're proving to have some serious teething problems/issues. Not doing BMW any favours on customer experience side...
Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      05-28-2020, 12:57 AM   #36
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:

Looks like this is an issue for 30d's too.

Did they mention anything about a "recall"?

If its a known issue or fault, I'm hoping they recall them - but replacing the entire steering column isn't a small job.

I agree, these cars are beautiful to drive, but they're proving to have some serious teething problems/issues. Not doing BMW any favours on customer experience side...
No mention of a recall. They did say its rare. Mine is a 30d but I doubt the module or columns would be different across the models. Bit disappointing though.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:09 AM   #37
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklipse View Post
Hi guys/girls

the little button on the steering column is working fine, I can set the steering wheel where I want. BUT when it comes to keep it in memory, it now fails.
but then after I "start", it does not come back 90%, 5% in a mid position, 5% in correct position.
I also noticed it does not remember that I preset "electric only" as default mode
and also when I close the car, the ext. mirrors don't flip anymore, unless I keep pressing the close button (while the setting is set to flip them when I close the car, of course)

no change at all.

any idea ?
I had the same issue with the steering wheel memory on Monday. Manually everything worked but it didn't get to the programmed position after startup. It also started in hybrid instead of my default electric individual. But that has happened before.

I the mirrors did fold normally

I did a Idrive reset and drove 20 km electric and when returning home it was solved. This also solved the issue not remembering my home adres.

I have been driving electric only for 4 weeks. It might be an issue with low power on the 12V battery as suggested. I don't know if the 20 km drive or the reset solved it. I don't know if the HV battery charges the 12V or if this is done by a separate charger while driving.

I had a different issue with my former f15 30d. Steering wheel wouldn't not come in and out automatically and also the button did not react. Up and down still worked. Steering wheel column had to be replaced.

Seems like two different problems. A memory problem in the first case and a steering wheel problem in the second.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:12 AM   #38
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
No mention of a recall. They did say its rare. Mine is a 30d but I doubt the module or columns would be different across the models. Bit disappointing though.
Yeah, I dont buy the "its rare" comment the service departments always give you.

I'm on my 2nd G05 X5 which is a 2019 model. My first G05 was a "lemon". It had issues from day 1, starting with a faulty catalytic converter that had a vibrating flap that made a loud annoying rattle (which they said was also "rare"), then countless ECU failures and problems (which they also said were "rare"). It was an early build (August 2018), so I put it down to early model teething problems.
After putting up with it for 6-months, I insistent on a new/replacement from my dealer, and eventually agreed on a changeover agreement.

The 2019 hasn't missed a beat, its been perfect, now that's bloody rare !
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:19 AM   #39
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

The frustrating thing on the f15 that sometimes after a week it started working again but stopped again few days later. I had been looking for all sorts of combinations why it stopped working or started again. Never found it.

But it ended up being solved after steering column replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #40
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Hi guys/girls

no change at all.

any idea ?
I have started facing similar issues from past few days in my 2019 X5 40i. I am on 2019/07 iDrive version

1. Steering column is not returning to memory position when car is in drive mode.
2. Side mirrors not closing when parking
3. All key FOB functions in iDrive are unselected but most of them still works
4. Side mirrors close function automatically gets unselected

Please let me know if you find a resolution for these issues.

I may have to take my car to servicing.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #41
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
Quote:
Hi guys/girls

no change at all.

any idea ?
I have started facing similar issues from past few days in my 2019 X5 40i. I am on 2019/07 iDrive version

1. Steering column is not returning to memory position when car is in drive mode.
2. Side mirrors not closing when parking
3. All key FOB functions in iDrive are unselected but most of them still works
4. Side mirrors close function automatically gets unselected

Please let me know if you find a resolution for these issues.

I may have to take my car to servicing.
Did you do the reset?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #42
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I wonder if it could be an connected drive or profile issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #43
Carneylad
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloPL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydon3112 View Post
Mine got the same, but ended up that battery was low so it reset this settings to default when I entered the car. I just decided to drive a few hours with minium energy consumption to charge it up and now all back to normal.
My car is doing the exact same thing now. The wheel won't extend automatically but I can do it manually. Also, the car resets loads of setting to default values after being locked for about 20mins. Interior lights revert to orange, mirrors don't fold, key only unlocks the drivers door etc. Very frustrating. Do you think it's battery related? It shouldn't be as I've been on 2 long drives recently.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #44
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
It's a PITA.

Some people code out the comfort entry to avoid it constantly moving and breaking.
Anyone know how to do this?

It’s so slow to extend that I can be halfway down my driveway before it finishes. I would rather just turn it off, plus it can’t break if I do.
Appreciate 0