BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

How to get full screen Navigation

When I first got my X5, a few weeks ago, the nav went full size across the 12 inch screen. Now a series of tiles for theme map, split screen etc. appear on the right hand side of the nav screen and stay up on the screen permanently. Before the tiles would appear if I touched the right side of the screen or used the controller -- then after a short period of time the tiles would disappear and the nav would go back to full screen.

For example at 2:50 on this video the screen changes from full screen to showing the tiles.

I liked the look of the full screen nav without the tiles permanently showing. Does anyone know how to adjust so the tiles are not permanently displayed?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
there are two map views: one on the Home Screen and one on the Map screen (both accessible on the center console above the iDrive controller). the biggest map view on a tile on the Home Screen doesn't completely fill the display as it does on the Map screen. if it's not showing fully on the Map screen, then you would need to disable split screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 11:01 PM   #3
CGG
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for the suggestion. That is not quite what I was trying to refer to. Certainly on the home screen the map is quite small. When you hit the map or nav button above the controller the map is larger. I dont have the home button or the split screen on.

On the video above at 2:50 the map is full screen - at 3:01 the tiles on the right come up and the map is no longer full screen. For me, however, the map never fills the screen. The small tiles on the right hand side (for traffic info, map settings, settings, split screen), of the screen are always on the screen. The tiles used to disappear after a certain amount of time. Now they just stay up and take up map room. The tiles are not highlighted or active, they are just there.

The gas station view also no longer shows gas prices. Dont know where that went.....Oh yes, the weather app and the news app also disappeared....dont know where those went....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

What happens if you click the "back" button beneath the idrive controller? If that doesn't do it, might be worth trying an idrive reset.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 11:42 PM   #5
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

I noticed the same thing on my nav screen. The tiles on the right hand side never go away. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing my maps full screen without any tiles on either side of the screen. The nav tiles on the left do disappear but not the ones on the right.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 11:56 PM   #6
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. That is not quite what I was trying to refer to. Certainly on the home screen the map is quite small. When you hit the map or nav button above the controller the map is larger. I dont have the home button or the split screen on.

On the video above at 2:50 the map is full screen - at 3:01 the tiles on the right come up and the map is no longer full screen. For me, however, the map never fills the screen. The small tiles on the right hand side (for traffic info, map settings, settings, split screen), of the screen are always on the screen. The tiles used to disappear after a certain amount of time. Now they just stay up and take up map room. The tiles are not highlighted or active, they are just there.

The gas station view also no longer shows gas prices. Dont know where that went.....Oh yes, the weather app and the news app also disappeared....dont know where those went....
To get the weather and news apps back click "Apps" in the iDrive and then press the "Option" button near the iDrive controller in the center console (don't click on Installed Apps and just have it highlighted before pressing the "Option" button!). Then choose "Update apps and services" and the missing apps should reappear.
Appreciate 1
CGG170.00
      07-22-2021, 11:57 PM   #7
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
I noticed the same thing on my nav screen. The tiles on the right hand side never go away. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing my maps full screen without any tiles on either side of the screen. The nav tiles on the left do disappear but not the ones on the right.
I just tried it on mine, and the tiles on the right eventually disappear, I wonder if it's a setting somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 01:51 AM   #8
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Take a look at this thread from a year ago. I think I have reduced mode off so that may not be it.
Appreciate 1
CGG170.00
      07-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The small tiles on the right hand side (for traffic info, map settings, settings, split screen), of the screen are always on the screen. The tiles used to disappear after a certain amount of time. Now they just stay up and take up map room. The tiles are not highlighted or active, they are just there.
the tiles on the right side of my map disappear within 3 seconds. I verified the setting to enable is Reduced Mode. MAP > SETTINGS > MAP > REDUCED MODE
javapro
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CGG170.00
      07-23-2021, 06:17 AM   #10
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
the tiles on the right side of my map disappear within 3 seconds. I verified the setting to enable is Reduced Mode. MAP > SETTINGS > MAP > REDUCED MODE
javapro
So, wait, the reduced mode needs to be “on”, not “off”?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:19 AM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
So, wait, the reduced mode needs to be "on", not "off"?
correct. if it's not checked, reduced mode is off, and the tiles remain. If checked, reduced mode is on which "reduces the clutter," and the tiles disappear within a few seconds as they are considered irrelevant elements
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #12
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

reduced mode removes 'clutter' on the nav screen. you can get those tiles back by either moving the idrive controller, touching the screen itself, or even hovering your fingers close to the screen and the tiles will return.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4647.50
      07-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #13
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all. Mystery solved!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
CGG
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to everyone for the useful input! It was driving me nuts. I now have full screen nav and the weather and news apps back. Great forum, thanks everyone!
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4647.50
MystroX56289.50
      07-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #15
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

While the fullscreen map is great, I have a suggestion.

Make a page and have two map views: One for the driving perspective and one for Route overview. I've been using this on my daily commute to and from work and I like it so far. the Route overview gives you a birdseye view of all the places where there is traffic, while the driving perspective gives you all the roads as they come up in your direction of travel.
Appreciate 2
CGG170.00
      07-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #16
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the useful input! It was driving me nuts. I now have full screen nav and the weather and news apps back. Great forum, thanks everyone!
Same here - full screen view looks great!
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #17
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
BTW a trick Ive never seen documented anywhere:
If you are in nav mode with the sound off (ie directions off) and you press briefly the "map" nav" button, the car will speak the next step of your journey. It's actually quite handy for routes you "mostly" know but you want a reminder.

Haven't seen that trick documented anywhere, I use the "spoken direction" very very rarely, and that button press is all I need now and then.
thereef5101165.00
      07-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #18
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze
BTW a trick Ive never seen documented anywhere:
If you are in nav mode with the sound off (ie directions off) and you press briefly the "map" nav" button, the car will speak the next step of your journey. It's actually quite handy for routes you "mostly" know but you want a reminder.

Haven't seen that trick documented anywhere, I use the "spoken direction" very very rarely, and that button press is all I need now and then.
How long do you hold down the button for?

I didn't know that trick but I had a similar one. If you're navigating somewhere and you switch to CarPlay, but then switch back to the navigation screen by pushing the map button, it'll briefly say navigation stuff to you. thanks for the tip
Appreciate 1