BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
X5White
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

New X5 with no spare tire

What is everyone without the spare tire doing? Trusting the run flat tires or purchasing the mobility kit and/or tire repair kit?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I got the spare. Run flats aren’t bullet proof. See a recent thread here about someone whose RF went completely flat in an incident.

At least with the spare I can drive the car without having to pull the trigger immediately on a new replacement tire or set of tires. Runflats are expensive, and may not be available in some rural areas.

Did you notice that on the new build configurator you can get non-runflats? But only with Msport options.

I plan to trade this car in four years, and will be able to make much more informed decisions about the features I will want (this is my first high-end car). For a long-term vehicle I will most likely want non RFs, but I’m curious to see how these hold up.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I have the spare option but if I didn't then I would rely on the runflats and a call to roadside assistance.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I got the spare. Run flats aren’t bullet proof. See a recent thread here about someone whose RF went completely flat in an incident.

At least with the spare I can drive the car without having to pull the trigger immediately on a new replacement tire or set of tires. Runflats are expensive, and may not be available in some rural areas.
I would not count on the spare to provide much time before a replacement tire is needed as it's a temporary use, compact spare. Haven't confirmed, but believe it is also of noticeably smaller outside diameter so that you'd want to minimize it's use to avoid undue stress on the drive train.

While for the most common tire failure, a puncture by a nail or screw, the runflats allow continued driving for a while (or longer if the leak is slow enough that you can counter it by adding air), more severe damage, such as a torn sidewall, will leave a runflat, or any tire, undriveable for any distance. For that reason I too have a spare on my X5.

For trips, where we may be quite some distance from a compressed air supply, I carry the BMW tire kit with compressor and sealant.
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have never in my life had a flat tire. Most of the time I am in rural areas where roadside assistance is likely to take all day (which is true even in urban areas).

I worked for AAA in the 1980s, in the Washington DC metro, and roadside assistance was horrible then and probably still is.

With the run-flats, I like the idea that I have choices other than waiting by the side of the road for hours. Most likely alone. For me, the run-flat capabilities coupled with the spare is cheap insurance that I could get to a service station on my own, and tackle the issues from there.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
BayAreaBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 40Msport, F33 440, E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5White View Post
What is everyone without the spare tire doing? Trusting the run flat tires or purchasing the mobility kit and/or tire repair kit?
Roadside assistance and runflats have been fine for me for last decade or so. Do live in an urban area with easy access to everything I'd need if I got stuck somewhere though.

M4 (sold)
335is (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5White View Post
Crossing fingers that the RFs don't catastrophically fail. On my previous X5, I had two larger perforations that were not repairable. One happened to be within 1/4 mile from a tire shop, and they had the tire I needed just by chance (it was a staggered set, and the rear tire that let go was not a normal size you'd find in stock).
      07-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
While for the most common tire failure, a puncture by a nail or screw, the runflats allow continued driving for a while (or longer if the leak is slow enough that you can counter it by adding air), more severe damage, such as a torn sidewall, will leave a runflat, or any tire, undriveable for any distance. For that reason I too have a spare on my X5.
While the promise of RFT is to be able to drive to the repair shop, my single/first RFT experience with that regard a week ago was less impressive. Based on that, I cannot trust the marketing promises (aka BS) of RFTs.

Thread here:
- pics of the minor damage: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24944750
- full thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1626566
      07-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
X5White
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Has anyone used the mobility kit with run flat tires? My dealers parts dept. told me that they can’t order the spare tire kit anymore. I had even considered keeping a tire repair kit in the car just in case, guess you could plug the tire & use the mobility kit compressor to pump the tire up.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I have never in my life had a flat tire. Most of the time I am in rural areas where roadside assistance is likely to take all day (which is true even in urban areas).

I worked for AAA in the 1980s, in the Washington DC metro, and roadside assistance was horrible then and probably still is.

With the run-flats, I like the idea that I have choices other than waiting by the side of the road for hours. Most likely alone. For me, the run-flat capabilities coupled with the spare is cheap insurance that I could get to a service station on my own, and tackle the issues from there.
Call me unlucky, but my wife and I have had several flat tires via nails, screws and ...yes even a set of house keys, puncture our tires! I even had a sidewall pin hole on a cross country trip two years ago. I am just too old to trust new technology, aka Run Flats. I will buy the spare tire kit option, no question.

Even with my current run flat X3, I carry a jack, lug wrench, vise grips, pliers, 12v inflator, tire repair kit, spray water bottle, etc, etc so I can repair on the fly which I have had to do twice. I don't trust software, robots or run flat tires.
Appreciate 3
natahoa252.00
volodp193.50
      07-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I will buy the spare tire kit option, no question.
Unfortunately the spare kit with jack is nearly $800 even though a $150 option with the vehicle. Hate the crazy markup on OEM parts!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Reading some of the posts here, I think Run Flats might be a bit misunderstood. I have not had bad experience with them yet myself but have had a nail and made it directly to a shop for replacement no problem.

Check this good read out:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/run-flat

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...run-flat-tires
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Reading some of the posts here, I think Run Flats might be a bit misunderstood. I have not had bad experience with them yet myself but have had a nail and made it directly to a shop for replacement no problem.

Check this good read out:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/run-flat

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...run-flat-tires
No misunderstanding here. They suck.

On a related noted, are people pleased with the shape of their wheels after a new tire is installed and rebalanced? On my Touareg, they popped/pried the old weights off with a screwdriver leaving an ugly scar on the inside but visible surface of the wheel. Are you seeing the same lack of concern for your property with your BMW wheels?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post

On a related noted, are people pleased with the shape of their wheels after a new tire is installed and rebalanced? On my Touareg, they popped/pried the old weights off with a screwdriver leaving an ugly scar on the inside but visible surface of the wheel. Are you seeing the same lack of concern for your property with your BMW wheels?
Living in a perfect world there..... accidents happen everywhere to define that a shop will simply do that bc you drive a BMW doesn't mean it will happen. I have insurance to resolve those situations and can hold a shop accountable to resolve the problem as well. What I was stating is run flats are designed to run on Zero pressure due to the side wall build. Reading some comments on this post it would be as if they where self healing tires that repair without much air loss. Once again I have no encountered problems that would make me assume they are junk.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #15
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 models have non-runflat option

Quote:
Living in a perfect world there..... accidents happen everywhere to define that a shop will simply do that bc you drive a BMW doesn't mean it will happen. I have insurance to resolve those situations and can hold a shop accountable to resolve the problem as well. What I was stating is run flats are designed to run on Zero pressure due to the side wall build. Reading some comments on this post it would be as if they where self healing tires that repair without much air loss. Once again I have no encountered problems that would make me assume they are junk.
I don’t assume they are junk. Lots of people really like them. What I don’t like is the cost of replacing them, and that, according to reports on this forum and elsewhere, they don’t last long.

I don’t mind paying a lot for a quality tire if it will give me 70,000 miles. But most folks report that the OEM tires last about 30k miles. I’ve also seen LOTS of comments about how standard tires ride and handle better.

I plan to trade this car in four years - probably just about the time it needs new tires, or shortly after replacing them.

I am awfully tempted to get another set of tires and save these, and put them back on when I trade. This way the car will have BMWs “approved” tires when I trade. And I can use the non-runflats I bought on the new car. Not sure how much difference it will make, but worth a try.

It is QUITE interesting to me that 2020 builds offer a non-run flats option. Only with Msport upgrades, but makes me think that BMW is getting some pushback on runflats.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #16
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t assume they are junk. Lots of people really like them. What I don’t like is the cost of replacing them, and that, according to reports on this forum and elsewhere, they don’t last long.

I don’t mind paying a lot for a quality tire if it will give me 70,000 miles. But most folks report that the OEM tires last about 30k miles. I’ve also seen LOTS of comments about how standard tires ride and handle better.

I plan to trade this car in four years - probably just about the time it needs new tires, or shortly after replacing them.

I am awfully tempted to get another set of tires and save these, and put them back on when I trade. This way the car will have BMWs “approved” tires when I trade. And I can use the non-runflats I bought on the new car. Not sure how much difference it will make, but worth a try.

It is QUITE interesting to me that 2020 builds offer a non-run flats option. Only with Msport upgrades, but makes me think that BMW is getting some pushback on runflats.
I have both, run flats and non run flats. The run flats are (A) stiffer ride, (B) there are fewer choices when replacement time comes and (C) they are expensive. A+B+C=me no like.
However, I do like the principle they are designed for, when getting a nail/screw or whatever, I'd much rather have the luxury of finding the right place and time to deal with it rather than be forced to stop and replace a tire on a dark, rainy, cold, unsafe shoulder of a highway.
Appreciate 2
natahoa252.00
volodp193.50
      07-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #17
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have both, run flats and non run flats. The run flats are (A) stiffer ride, (B) there are fewer choices when replacement time comes and (C) they are expensive. A+B+C=me no like.
However, I do like the principle they are designed for, when getting a nail/screw or whatever, I'd much rather have the luxury of finding the right place and time to deal with it rather than be forced to stop and replace a tire on a dark, rainy, cold, unsafe shoulder of a highway.
Agree with all. Added problem is having a spare to match the non-runflats. With this car, the spare most likely won’t fit in the spare-tire space either. It will take up all of my cargo space in that case.

Conundrum for sure. Next car I’ll make a command decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
That is not a change, they have always offered non-runflats with certain packages/tire sizes.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      07-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #19
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is not a change, they have always offered non-runflats with certain packages/tire sizes.
Right, but they only offer non run flats in the largest wheel diameter, 22" which for me here in NY would mean constant wheel damage. Our pot holes are horrible and plentiful I like the wheels much better than the 19" V Spokes though

Wow, I haven't been to the build a BMW site in a few weeks, was just there, it got a massive overhaul. Its now more in line with how the UK and Europe site looks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #20
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Right, but they only offer non run flats in the largest wheel diameter, 22" which for me here in NY would mean constant wheel damage. Our pot holes are horrible and plentiful I like the wheels much better than the 19" V Spokes though

Wow, I haven't been to the build a BMW site in a few weeks, was just there, it got a massive overhaul. Its now more in line with how the UK and Europe site looks.
It was that way for my 2019 too. It’s not any different for 2020. The ride is probably almost as harsh on the 22” non run flats as the 20” run flats but can’t say for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #21
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Has anyone looked into self-sealing tires? I just read about them as being an option on the new Explorer. They seem like a good alternative to the stiffer sidewalled run flats, although i have to say that i have no complaints about the ride quality in either of my BMWs that both have run flats. I think it may be because both vehicles were built in the last year or two and run flats today are more comfortable than the ones introduced say 10 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #22
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post

Sorry, I don't recall anyone on the forum ever saying they were expected to be self healing. In my specific first and singular case, a minor nail nowhere near a sidewall that resulted in zero RFT pressure, did not allow the brand new P-Zero run flats to get me to a dealer 10km away with a promise of 100km or so range. That lack of meeting an explicitly marketed expectation is a singular and specific definition of "they suck" for me.