BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

check engine light came on

i left my car in the airport for a few days, came back home last night and drove without any issue. this morning the check engine light is on; but the car is driving perfectly fine

called the dealership and they cant set up the valet service until thursday morning but advised me to avoid driving it.. which is not possible.. my SA did say most likely it's the active grill which they've been having issues with.. any body have any similar issue?
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

You’ll need to run a diagnostics to see where the CEL came from...it can literally be from anything
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post
You’ll need to run a diagnostics to see where the CEL came from...it can literally be from anything
The check engine light is very generic...make sure your gas cap is on correctly as that too can light it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post
The check engine light is very generic...make sure your gas cap is on correctly as that too can light it up.
Is that really still a thing even on the G05? The bloody car drives itself and detects whether you're nodding off for deity's sake, it can't tell you directly if the gas cap needs attention rather than "engine might be blowing up ... psych, ha ha, just the gas cap again!"
      01-21-2020, 02:22 AM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

99.9999999% of the time, you will get the infamous P0411, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0455 Check engine light codes.

It is your evaporative system.... which means that because these cars are so sensitive to emissions requirements..... almost ANYTHING can set one of these off. Got a bubble in your fuel line? Turned a corner too hard with a near-empty tank? Started the car with the fuel cap off? Went through a car wash? These codes are commonplace, and not really anything to worry about.

Go to your local Autozone and pick up an OBD scanner. You can get a cheap one for like $35 or less.

Read the code
Google what it means
Clear the code

If it comes back??? Yea... THEN make an appointment at your dealership. If you bring the car in now, and it reads one of the common codes above, all they are going to do is clear the code. I GUARANTEE they won't do a single bit of actual "work". You will have wasted your entire day for them to do something you could have done in 30 seconds yourself.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Florida is one of the "free" states that allows automotive stores like Autozone/PepBoys/O'Reilly's/Advanced Auto/etc to read OBD II codes.

The CEL means something in the emissions system has registered a fault. It could be one or two of multiple things...and unless the light is flashing...you should be able to drive the vehicle to at least find out what the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes are). Even though you're still under warranty and the dealerhship will look at your car for free...you can "pre-arm" yourself with information and get the 5 digit code that has been part of the OBD II federal mandate since 1996.

In fact, with the 5 digit "P" code...you can simply google the code since there's been decades of discussions about them. For a quick example, Ninefourteener posted some P codes...and if you were to google "BMW P0411 you'd get an idea of what info is out there by just doing this type of simple search for OBD II codes registered by the Check Eng Light (CEL).

Good luck....there's no need to guess or have to wait until you take it into the dealer...you can find out for free what sensor has registered a fault code if you have an OBD II scanner/reader. And if you don't have one...again, Florida is a state where you can get it done for free by just driving there and asking them to retrieve the fault code. (don't forget to write it down or have them print it out for you)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Florida is one of the "free" states that allows automotive stores like Autozone/PepBoys/O'Reilly's/Advanced Auto/etc to read OBD II codes.

The CEL means something in the emissions system has registered a fault. It could be one or two of multiple things...and unless the light is flashing...you should be able to drive the vehicle to at least find out what the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes are). Even though you're still under warranty and the dealerhship will look at your car for free...you can "pre-arm" yourself with information and get the 5 digit code that has been part of the OBD II federal mandate since 1996.

In fact, with the 5 digit "P" code...you can simply google the code since there's been decades of discussions about them. For a quick example, Ninefourteener posted some P codes...and if you were to google "BMW P0411 you'd get an idea of what info is out there by just doing this type of simple search for OBD II codes registered by the Check Eng Light (CEL).

Good luck....there's no need to guess or have to wait until you take it into the dealer...you can find out for free what sensor has registered a fault code if you have an OBD II scanner/reader. And if you don't have one...again, Florida is a state where you can get it done for free by just driving there and asking them to retrieve the fault code. (don't forget to write it down or have them print it out for you)
Thanks just got it read. Got this. Doesn't seem serious
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Thanks just got it read. Got this. Doesn't seem serious
Right, so did you check your gas cap? That will cause the error you are showing on the scanner. Once you unscrew and rescrew the cap, it will take a few miles before the error goes away, if that is the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Right, so did you check your gas cap? That will cause the error you are showing on the scanner. Once you unscrew and rescrew the cap, it will take a few miles before the error goes away, if that is the root cause.
ya i filled up yesterday and made sure it is on tight. the dealership is picking it up tomorrow from my office and dropping off a loaner so i'll find out tomorrow for sure what it is. i've heard that they've been having trouble with the active shutters on the grill
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #10
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
ya i filled up yesterday and made sure it is on tight. the dealership is picking it up tomorrow from my office and dropping off a loaner so i'll find out tomorrow for sure what it is. i've heard that they've been having trouble with the active shutters on the grill
Active shutters would have thrown a different code, I would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks, I know it sounds stupidly simple but sometimes other family members gas up and just don't screw the cap in all the way. I'm not sure what the active shutters have to do with an evap leak. Anyway, report back once you know what the root cause is, ok?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Info below is from this site: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-jay-safford
P0456 code definition

Evaporative Emissions System Small Leak Detected
What the P0456 code means

P0456 is an OBD-II generic code that the engine control module (ECM) has detected a very small leak in the evaporative system during the vehicle off testing. The test has to fail twice in a row to cause the code to be activated by the ECM.

What causes the P0456 code?

The ECM has commanded the purge control valve to close the system and activates the evaporative vacuum pump to bring the system into a small amount of specified vacuum and then monitors the system for leaks. If the system detects a very small leak during the test then the ECM stores the code and waits till a second test can be done and if that test detects a very small leak then the ECM stores the code P0456 and turns on the check engine light.

The cause of code P0456 can be a small leak at any of the system components or hose connections.

The two most common causes of the code is the gas cap vent and the purge vent valve will not seal completely.

What are the symptoms of the P0456 code?

The Check Engine Light will be illuminated and the code is set in ECM memory.

How does a mechanic diagnose the P0456 code?

Scans codes and documents the code in the ECM, views the freeze frame data to see when fault happened

Inspects the entire vapor purge valve system to include the purge valve and vent valve hose connectors for damaged or loose connections

Checks the purge valve vent for any blockage from dirt, debris or spider webs that could cause the valve to not be able to complete a total seal of the vapors

Performs a smoke leakage test on the fuel vapor system to try and locate the cause of the vapor leak using the test vapor port, checks the fuel cap for vent leakage

Checks the purge control valve to see if it will hold a vacuum when activated

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0456 code

Not checking and assuming the purge control valve is defective without doing a thorough diagnostics of the complete system to later find the wiring is broken or cut

Not verifying the leak and replacing parts that may or may not be the problem

Not checking for any technical service bulletins that may have a fix for the code

How serious is the P0456 code?

Code P0456 causes the Check Engine Light to go on and this alone will cause a failed emission test.

The code means the fuel vapor system has a very small leak and may be hard to locate on some vehicles and the code will keep coming back till the leak is found.

The ECM monitors will not pass emissions if the leak is not found and just the Check Engine Light is turned off.

What repairs can fix the P0456 code?
  • Replacing a leaking gas cap
  • Replacing the leaking or clogged purge vent valve
  • Replacing a leaking purge valve

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #13
omaralt
Major
Rep

thanks. the dealership picked up the car this morning. we'll see what they say
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
omaralt
Major
Rep

So this is what was the issue
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the follow up...hope the new LDP does the job.

Appreciate 0