BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Remote start turns on heated steering wheel?

The last two times I used remote start I got in the car and the steering wheel was warm. Is there a setting for this?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodx5 View Post
The last two times I used remote start I got in the car and the steering wheel was warm. Is there a setting for this?
What version of iDrive are you running? I believe some members posted that in the 11/2019.xx version they added the option for heating the steering wheel in the climate rules app.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
What version of iDrive are you running? I believe some members posted that in the 11/2019.xx version they added the option for heating the steering wheel in the climate rules app.
I have 11/2019.34
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have 11/2019.34
I see settings for the heated/ventilated seats to come on when the temperature falls below/above whatever temp you set but nothing for the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I see settings for the heated/ventilated seats to come on when the temperature falls below/above whatever temp you set but nothing for the steering wheel.
Perhaps there is no option for it and it just comes on automatically when the seat heat does. You can always run a few tests and see if that is the pattern you are seeing. Hopefully some others will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps there is no option for it and it just comes on automatically when the seat heat does. You can always run a few tests and see if that is the pattern you are seeing. Hopefully some others will chime in.
Another thing I just thought of does the steering wheel heat default to off when you turn the car off or does it stay in the last setting and stay on until you turn it off?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Another thing I just thought of does the steering wheel heat default to off when you turn the car off or does it stay in the last setting and stay on until you turn it off?
Yes it does turn the heated steering wheel on again if you continue your trip within 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I didn't find a menu item to control this function either. On preheating the 45e the seat and steering wheel are also activated below a certain temperature. I don't know if this is the same set temp. as for automatic seat heating activation. Could be indeed. Strangely the heated armrests are not activated.
Appreciate 1
mhodx5111.50
      01-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #9
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
I didn't find a menu item to control this function either. On preheating the 45e the seat and steering wheel are also activated below a certain temperature. I don't know if this is the same set temp. as for automatic seat heating activation. Could be indeed. Strangely the heated armrests are not activated.
Okay thanks for confirming that this happens with your car also. It makes sense for it to come on if the seats come on at your set temperature.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #10
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

I have a 40i M-Sport and find that the heated steering wheel seems to turn itself on after a remote start and below a certain temp. It actually may come on when it's below a certain temp and I start the car manually, will check and report back on that one.

Even with the seat heat rules set to heat the seats at or below 37f I never had them come on with remote start, only after I get in the car and press the start button - this is a little annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #11
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBOS View Post
I never had them come on with remote start, only after I get in the car and press the start button -
... and, from my experience, buckle your seatbelt.
Mine don't seem to activate unless I buckle up.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #12
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Turns off until you turn on again.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In Europe according to our manual it turns on again if you continue your trip within 15 minutes. Maybe it is different in the US
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #14
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In Europe according to our manual it turns on again if you continue your trip within 15 minutes. Maybe it is different in the US
I stand corrected. Live and learn.

I also applaud your actual reading the manual. I've tried repeatedly but it's tedious.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I stand corrected. Live and learn.

I also applaud your actual reading the manual. I've tried repeatedly but it's tedious.
🤓👍

I have the app on my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #16
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

For me, it seems when I remote start, by the time I'm in the car the steering wheel is warm/hot. Then seems to cool off - as if it turns off when the car starts. Since there's no indicator to let me know if it's on or not, it's hard to tell what's going on. I've tried pressing the heated steering wheel button to see if that turns it on or off. The first press, I don't get a notification on the dash, second press says heated on, third press turns it off. It's odd behavior. Why have the steering wheel come on but not the seats? There's no setting that I know of to control this.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #17
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
For me, it seems when I remote start, by the time I'm in the car the steering wheel is warm/hot. Then seems to cool off - as if it turns off when the car starts. Since there's no indicator to let me know if it's on or not, it's hard to tell what's going on. I've tried pressing the heated steering wheel button to see if that turns it on or off. The first press, I don't get a notification on the dash, second press says heated on, third press turns it off. It's odd behavior. Why have the steering wheel come on but not the seats? There's no setting that I know of to control this.
I'm starting to think it's more of a glitch in the software than a feature. Hopefully they will get it straightened out in the next software update.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #18
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Chicago winter here, so it is cold. Remote start does not activate seats or steering wheel, only climate control to warm up the car.

It is impossible to get an answer of what the car can do with remote start from anybody it seems.
Appreciate 1
nvsocr755.00
      01-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
Dex05
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 - White/Beige

07/2019.55 >>> Neither steering wheel nor seats heat are getting activated with remote start on this version.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:14 PM   #20
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I'm on 11/2019.41 - Steering wheel heats with remote start.
Appreciate 1
nvsocr755.00
      01-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #21
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

I'm on 11/2019 as well and mine heats up when started remotely, even if been sitting for hours. Not sure if I left it on when the car was shutdown. It didn't do this until I had the 11/2019 upgrade done.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #22
Leotno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I get the exact same thing. It turns on with remote start no matter that the temperature is outside.
Appreciate 0