BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Madjackdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 40i X5

My random thoughts on my new 2020 40i

Well, it’s been two months since I picked up my new 2020 40i, and I thought I might share a few thoughts with you. Here they are in no particular order:

1) My wife and I picked up the car in SC, and had a wonderful drive back to Arizona; 2500 miles of fun. It’s always fun to pick up a new car, but picking up a new BMW is special, and we had 6 happy days of
acquainting ourselves with the various features (Premium - Driving Assistance Professional - Parking Assistance - Remote Start [a must in AZ] - Acoustic Glass - Multi-Contour seats - Heated Everything - M-Sport Brakes - Rear Manual Window Shades - Spare Tire - 20” Wheels)

2) When I first started making my builds on the BMW website, I always opted for either the Cognac, or the Tartufo extended Marino, and was rather upset when they weren’t available when it came time to order. What a silver lining, though! The Coffee extended, coupled with the Phytonic Blue is absolutely amazing. What a rich interior. Completely happy. What’s more, the rear seat leather is very taut, no wrinkles st all.

3) Front doors? Fort Knox. Rear doors? Not so much. What’s up with that?

4) The car has only one flaw - When using the Active Cruise Control, when I pass a large semi to my right, the car will unaccountably slow down, as if the truck is in my lane. I trust this will be an easy fix when I take it in to the dealer for my first oil change.

5) Have I mentioned that the Phytonic Blue, coupled with the Coffee looks fabulous?

6) The PCD experience was exceptional. The hotel, the food, the delivery experience; everything was top-notch, and geared toward giving the purchaser the best experience they could offer. Educational, too.

7) We flew in Saturday, for a Monday delivery, rented a car and drove up to the Great Smokey Mountains. Wonderful drive, and scenery. Coming home, being a history buff, and never having been in the area before, we visited Ft Sumpter, and the Vicksburg battlefield, and every National Park we could. It’s impossible to convey to you what a great time we had. Don’t let a little thing like living far away from SC deter you from the PCD experience.

8) Best option for me? Assisted Driving Pro - I use it all the time. The wife would say it’s the feature that replicates the last 165’ you drove, in reverse. It’s a rather tight fit, coming out of the garage.

9) One of the driving factors to get us out of the 2017 Highlander was that we often take long trips, and in the Highlander, we would always arrive with an aching back and sore ass. Not any more! The Multi-Contours are a sore man’s wet-dream. $700 for them is money well spent. Tried out the message seats at the dealer, and wasn’t impressed. Too subtle.

10) Priot to the Highlander, I was in a 2014 Mercedes ML350 diesel. Good car, but no comparison to the BMW.

11) The 6-cylinder in-line engine? I don’t believe there’s a better 6 cylinder on the market. The engine/transmission combo is butter-smooth, and a joy to drive.

Well that’s it. Two months in, and I’m still in the “can’t walk away without looking back at it” phase. I hope I haven’t come off as too much of a BMW fanboy, but instead as a new BMW customer genuinely excited about his new purchase.

PS - Have I mentioned the mini-orgasm I get when I open the door, and look at the Coffee Extended Marino, and slip my ass into the Marino seats? Well too bad, I’m mentioning it again.
Appreciate 12
wtwo317943.50
mcsa65.00
Atchoom29.00
sygazelle11328.50
bluzbra269.00
Cooltones241.00
mrracer45.00
thereef5101164.00
GrussGott18116.50
kleo12.00
      02-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Congrats. nothing like a long road trip to bring back a new car!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
cszekl
LOVE BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M340I Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M340  [0.00]
Awesome! I love mine too! I always take a second look! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:56 AM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjackdog View Post
Well, it’s been two months since I picked up my new 2020 40i, and I thought I might share a few thoughts with you. Here they are in no particular order:

1) My wife and I picked up the car in SC, and had a wonderful drive back to Arizona; 2500 miles of fun. It’s always fun to pick up a new car, but picking up a new BMW is special, and we had 6 happy days of
acquainting ourselves with the various features (Premium - Driving Assistance Professional - Parking Assistance - Remote Start [a must in AZ] - Acoustic Glass - Multi-Contour seats - Heated Everything - M-Sport Brakes - Rear Manual Window Shades - Spare Tire - 20” Wheels)

2) When I first started making my builds on the BMW website, I always opted for either the Cognac, or the Tartufo extended Marino, and was rather upset when they weren’t available when it came time to order. What a silver lining, though! The Coffee extended, coupled with the Phytonic Blue is absolutely amazing. What a rich interior. Completely happy. What’s more, the rear seat leather is very taut, no wrinkles st all.

3) Front doors? Fort Knox. Rear doors? Not so much. What’s up with that?

4) The car has only one flaw - When using the Active Cruise Control, when I pass a large semi to my right, the car will unaccountably slow down, as if the truck is in my lane. I trust this will be an easy fix when I take it in to the dealer for my first oil change.

5) Have I mentioned that the Phytonic Blue, coupled with the Coffee looks fabulous?

6) The PCD experience was exceptional. The hotel, the food, the delivery experience; everything was top-notch, and geared toward giving the purchaser the best experience they could offer. Educational, too.

7) We flew in Saturday, for a Monday delivery, rented a car and drove up to the Great Smokey Mountains. Wonderful drive, and scenery. Coming home, being a history buff, and never having been in the area before, we visited Ft Sumpter, and the Vicksburg battlefield, and every National Park we could. It’s impossible to convey to you what a great time we had. Don’t let a little thing like living far away from SC deter you from the PCD experience.

8) Best option for me? Assisted Driving Pro - I use it all the time. The wife would say it’s the feature that replicates the last 165’ you drove, in reverse. It’s a rather tight fit, coming out of the garage.

9) One of the driving factors to get us out of the 2017 Highlander was that we often take long trips, and in the Highlander, we would always arrive with an aching back and sore ass. Not any more! The Multi-Contours are a sore man’s wet-dream. $700 for them is money well spent. Tried out the message seats at the dealer, and wasn’t impressed. Too subtle.

10) Priot to the Highlander, I was in a 2014 Mercedes ML350 diesel. Good car, but no comparison to the BMW.

11) The 6-cylinder in-line engine? I don’t believe there’s a better 6 cylinder on the market. The engine/transmission combo is butter-smooth, and a joy to drive.

Well that’s it. Two months in, and I’m still in the “can’t walk away without looking back at it” phase. I hope I haven’t come off as too much of a BMW fanboy, but instead as a new BMW customer genuinely excited about his new purchase.

PS - Have I mentioned the mini-orgasm I get when I open the door, and look at the Coffee Extended Marino, and slip my ass into the Marino seats? Well too bad, I’m mentioning it again.
Nice write-up and I'm glad you are so happy with your G05. One thing I didn't catch: How do you like the color combination you chose? Any regrets?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Madjackdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 40i X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Nice write-up and I'm glad you are so happy with your G05. One thing I didn't catch: How do you like the color combination you chose? Any regrets?
Hahaha!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjackdog View Post
Hahaha!
Coffee Extended + Phytonic Blue for the win!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Appreciate 4
thereef5101164.00
bluzbra269.00
mhodx5111.50
Cooltones241.00
      02-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Hahaha nice write up. I’ll pick up my new X5 in a week, can’t wait!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
mrracer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 s40i

Congratulations. Very nice. I would like to add my thoughts here instead of creating another thread.

It has been a couple of months since we picked up ours at the PCD (our order here and pics). If you get the opportunity to do Performance Center Delivery, do it. We love the car and the inline 6-cylinder delivers on power.

Now with that said, I could go on and on about all the great things but that would take several pages. So I am going list a few things I wish I could change.

Love the Merino leather with the luxury seating but I wish the messaging feature was only on the back. I find that the seat bottom with the messaging feature is not as comfortable as the merino seats without the luxury package. Love the ventilated seats and if possible would have gotten them without the messaging feature.

I would have gladly given up 4" or 6" of storage space in cargo area for more room in the back seat. And even better would be getting the extra space and an option for the movable/reclining back seat without ordering the 3rd row.

I cannot recommend the 2-axle air suspension enough, but I wished that it would change levels quicker. Is it possible to change that in settings?

We love the tanzanite blue, but what surprised me was how hot the outside of the car gets and how much it shows the dirt. I've had dark blue vehicles before but they did not seem to show the dirt as much, I guess it is the style of blue. How does Photonic Blue show?
Appreciate 0