BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2020, 05:08 AM   #23
Twickers
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Wait, would I need to put it on full beam to see this problem (if it exists)?

I took my picture just with the dipped beam on.
Hi, Thank you so much for this. Yes, I believe it's when the high beam is on. But I really appreciate your help. I'm sure it's fine as its such a different generation of cars. I am intrigued about what you said about the way it wraps around other cars though. does it simply say "BMW LED" on the light itself?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:13 AM   #24
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twickers View Post
Hi, Thank you so much for this. Yes, I believe it's when the high beam is on. But I really appreciate your help. I'm sure it's fine as its such a different generation of cars.
I did a lot of 'dark' road driving last night to test the lights, no issues with a border between the low and high beam as seen in that picture.

I'm guessing that line is there because its a 'gap' between the top of the low beam and the bottom of the high beam - There is nothing like that on my car. I must say the standard lights are amazing, even in dipped only. They really compare well to my G30's ICON lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:25 AM   #25
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twickers View Post
I am intrigued about what you said about the way it wraps around other cars though. does it simply say "BMW LED" on the light itself?
Yes, just 'BMW LED'.

The feature i'm describing is part of high beam assist - option 552. Its an extra on the X5 but standard on the X6 in the UK.

Described very well in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

On the UK price list: https://www.bmw.co.uk/content/dam/bm..._PriceList.pdf

it says without any options on a X5 40i you get 'LED headlights', as an option you can have 'Adaptive LED' - 552 which also includes high beam assist 5AC.

The light units look the same either way, but you need 552 (with 5AC) to get the neat high beam trickery.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #26
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

I had a G30 and now have a G05, both with standard lights. The G05 was spec'd already, so wasn't a choice for me.

On the G30, I never noticed a blue line, but, in very dark conditions, could see a similar small black line, more like a faint shadow. Interestingly, some passengers couldn't seem to see it, making me wonder if there is also a factor of what height you sit at. Equally, they could all be blind ;-)

I've not noticed anything similar on the G05. I live in a country village with no street lights, and I don't feel that they are bad. I've not experienced the adaptive lights to be able to compare other than in a Land Rover. On that they were plain stupid, and something of a liability! So I wouldn't say no to them, but until I experience them, not at the top of my must have list for next time.
Appreciate 1