BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
metamorphis8
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G)%

Intermittent Whine- X5 (G05)

I recently purchased a 2019 X5 xDrive 40 new. Currently it has about 6,500 miles on it.

Recently, I have started to hear an intermittent high-pitched whining noise. It lasts for about 8-15 seconds, disappears, and sometimes returns. It appears to be originating in the rear of the car, possibly from the rear wheel areas, but it's hard to pinpoint the location, given the acoustics when driving. It is not very loud, but it is noticeable. It does not appear to be originating inside the car, rather in some part of the drivetrain. It appears at both lower speeds and highway speeds, and sounds the same in both cases.

I have tried various settings on the HVAC system, including turning it completely off, thinking that I might be hearing the whine from an obstructed vent, but the sounds still appears. I recorded the sound, and played it for the tech at BMW service. He heard it, but was unable to replicate it, and could not find anything amiss with the car.

About a month prior the sound appearing, we had one of the rear Bridgestone runflats replaced due to nail in the tire; before the replacement, I did not hear the sound at all. The dealer didn't find anything amiss with the replaced tire either.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue, or has any ideas on what the source of the noise might be, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

SS
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
Funkyaapl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Any updates? I’ve noticed this more recently on my 2019. Trying to figure out what to tell the dealership to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

My Jan 2020 build X5 45e had Driveshaft seals replaced to try and fix a noise I had. It was a new part to address a known issue recorded in the BMW database.
It did not fix my issue, but if your noise is heard outside the car, it may be related to yours?
      09-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphis8 View Post
I recently purchased a 2019 X5 xDrive 40 new. Currently it has about 6,500 miles on it.

Recently, I have started to hear an intermittent high-pitched whining noise. It lasts for about 8-15 seconds, disappears, and sometimes returns. It appears to be originating in the rear of the car, possibly from the rear wheel areas, but it's hard to pinpoint the location, given the acoustics when driving. It is not very loud, but it is noticeable. It does not appear to be originating inside the car, rather in some part of the drivetrain. It appears at both lower speeds and highway speeds, and sounds the same in both cases.

I have tried various settings on the HVAC system, including turning it completely off, thinking that I might be hearing the whine from an obstructed vent, but the sounds still appears. I recorded the sound, and played it for the tech at BMW service. He heard it, but was unable to replicate it, and could not find anything amiss with the car.

About a month prior the sound appearing, we had one of the rear Bridgestone runflats replaced due to nail in the tire; before the replacement, I did not hear the sound at all. The dealer didn't find anything amiss with the replaced tire either.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue, or has any ideas on what the source of the noise might be, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

SS
Honestly, sounds like run flat noise from what you described. If you change which side the new run flat is on does the sound change location?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

How much difference in tread depth between the tire you replaced and the existing ones on the vehicle. BMW (and pretty much all all-wheel drive vehicles) have a fairly strict limit on the diameter variation of tires. If the new one exceeds that limit, the noise you hear could be from the differential(s) caused by one wheel turning at a different rate because of the difference in diameter. If that's it, some tire places can shave the new tire down to the same as the remaining ones. Otherwise, you end up replacing all of the tires at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
ruudway
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 2019 X5

I have the same issue.

Did you find the cause of the whining noise?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 04:26 AM   #7
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphis8 View Post

SS
Is it speed related? Had a similar issue with one of my F15s cut in at about 30mph and cut out at about 45 mph. Fortunately a friend had the same issue and his F15 spent two weeks at the dealer being diagnosed. It turned out to be the head unit. I gave my friends vin number to my dealer and bmw uk confirmed to change the head unit so fixed on one visit. I would have sworn it was a mechanical whine from a moving part like running gear.

Last edited by speuk; 11-14-2020 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
ruudway
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 2019 X5

I have the same intermittent whining noise and it is being troubleshot at the dealer now. It will be great if you guys can share the root cause of yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #9
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

Check out this thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=squeak

I had this come up a year ago, and it went away. I noticed it again recently so I may get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
whtbst
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmitch View Post
Check out this thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=squeak

I had this come up a year ago, and it went away. I noticed it again recently so I may get it checked out.
I had/have the same issue, it sounds like birds screeching (like a flock of seagulls). It was a constant issue for several weeks, then I went in for service and of course the BMW dealer couldn’t replicate it. Oddly the noise went away for three months after my service but came back last week. Ugh. It’s pretty annoying that I now have to go in again for service — and I’d even shown the dealer the above thread for reference (Re: plastic dust covers rubbing). Here’s my separate thread/post on the topic for reference, although I’m not sure it’s the same “whine” that the OP is experiencing?

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=Seagull
Appreciate 0