12-06-2021, 10:24 PM   #221
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
depending on which test you read, it's faster than the 40i and more efficient.
I would not say it faster, according to BMW 0-60mph are the same, some tests show that 45e faster, some that 40i. Anyway, the real difference is around 0.01seconds between them. Yes, it is efficient due to electric is cheaper than gas and thus BMW shows much better MPG during electric/mixed ride than gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:34 PM   #222
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPNW9 View Post
The math in the previous posts haven't been accounting for electric miles earned by regeneration that are not paid for by charging the battery by plugging into a wall socket. I haven't driven my 45e for enough miles to estimate what percentage of miles are free, it likely greatly depends on the type of trips you take.
I wish BMW would provide more information so we can see what is going on (like real time battery state of charge and hp).
The math in the previous posts haven't been also accounting for energy loss due to heater and other electric which drain your battery in winter time.
Also, regarding regeneration, coasting is more efficient than regeneration since conversion of energy inevitably leads to losses. it depends on driving style, if a driver used to hit brake right before red light then regeneration might be better, if a driver have an ability to properly use coasting and traffic allows it - then it will be more efficient.
Appreciate 1
45e21153.00
      12-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #223
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, the logic in the vehicle does make decisions on when to use regeneration versus coasting...they talk about it in the user's manual, if anyone actually reads it. Some of it is based on the navigation system knowing where you are.

If you learn how to feather the accelerator, you can coast all you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 05:39 AM   #224
JillX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
Well the 45E is cheaper than the 40i after tax incentives. Has standard air suspension. And while I don't live in a city, my gas bill will be cut in half if I buy one. And acceleration is just as good if not better than the 40i. My question is why wouldn't you buy one? (If the other choice is a 40i And you had a place to charge it every night). I saw one member has put more than 2000 miles on his car and has never filled it up with gas
I worry about fire hazard
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 09:35 AM   #225
echo46mike3
Private
Rep
Drives: E46M3, X5 45e

I deeply regret I didn’t buy it a year earlier.
Appreciate 3
      02-23-2023, 10:10 AM   #226
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
I would not say it faster, according to BMW 0-60mph are the same, some tests show that 45e faster, some that 40i. Anyway, the real difference is around 0.01seconds between them. Yes, it is efficient due to electric is cheaper than gas and thus BMW shows much better MPG during electric/mixed ride than gas.
There is no point of comparing MPG between 40i and 45e. The comparison is $/mile driven. And this highly depend on electricity cost vs gas cost in specific geo. In my local, EV cost more to operate than gas in 45e now.

And if you don’t charge 45e at all and use it as just non plug in hybrid, if you believe BMW document, 40i is more efficient.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4717.50
      02-23-2023, 10:13 AM   #227
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Owning a 2021 45e for a 18 months was such an amazing experience, I bought another one...
Appreciate 2
biterror523.00
      02-23-2023, 10:21 AM   #228
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillX5M View Post
I really cannot tell if you are serious. 😅
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:14 PM   #229
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
your concern is duly noted in this thread, your other thread, and your thread in the FB group. none of us can convince you otherwise despite providing reassurance and some evidence that the risk is low.

it can happen. why? because there’s a big battery inside! it’s up to you to weigh the risk of owning a 45e and it actually happening. i suggest looking up its predecessor, the X5 40e, to see if it has a track record of battery fires. don’t forget to differentiate between spontaneous (short circuit) vs impact-related (crash) vs user error (charging protocol neglect), etc, if the data exists

elnoraao2 what was the the financial impact on the person you know when the fire broke out in her garage, and she forgot to change the charge rate limit after the Tesla update?
Appreciate 3
viperdoc364.00
XMan9.00
sigmabody189.50
      02-23-2023, 12:17 PM   #230
JillX5M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
your concern is duly noted in this thread, your other thread, and your thread in the FB group. none of us can convince you otherwise despite providing reassurance and some evidence that the risk is low.

it can happen. why? because there’s a big battery inside! it’s up to you to weigh the risk of owning a 45e and it actually happening. i would recommended looking up its predecessor, the 40e, to see if it has a track record of battery fires. don’t forget to differentiate between spontaneous (short circuit) vs impact-related (crash) vs user error (charging protocol neglect)

elnoraao2 what was the the financial impact on the person you know when the fire broke out in her garage, and she forgot to change the charge rate limit after the Tesla update?
I definitely know the risk is low. And I really appreciate all your insight. It’s so helpful. I know different people are on different websites so that’s why I posted in different places. To get a good variety on responses before I make an 80k purchase. But seriously - thanks for all your amazing help. The x45e is an amazing car.
Appreciate 1
XMan9.00
      02-23-2023, 12:26 PM   #231
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
JillX5M

of course, the more info you can gather, the more you can make an informed decision. mine is a MY21 and was a spontaneous purchase. I’m a very technical person by nature, so learning the hybrid tech (and it’s inherent risks) didn’t bother me. I really enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #232
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Quote:
I definitely know the risk is low. And I really appreciate all your insight. It’s so helpful. I know different people are on different websites so that’s why I posted in different places. To get a good variety on responses before I make an 80k purchase. But seriously - thanks for all your amazing help. The x45e is an amazing car.
When I started this thread many months ago, I wanted to know people's experience about the 45e from a drive-ability standpoint, since I had to order one without ever driving it. I had never done that before and was nervous. I wanted to make sure it still drove like a BMW.

But your question, while a good one to ask, is CLEARLY illustrated in very large scale data pulls from across the country over many millions of vehicles (hybrids, PHEVs and EVs). The results are clear.... if you are worried about fires, DON'T buy an internal combustion engine vehicle, and especially an actual hybrid (like a prius) as these types of vehicles have the highest fire risk of all. It is really that simple. But hundreds of millions of people own ICE vehicles, and hybrids, and EVs/PHEVs, and relatively few burst into flame spontaneously (which is what it appears you are worried about).

Asking your question on this website (which is more than welcomed for sure) is asking for personal opinions on the mechanical and electric risks of a vehicle that none of us have built and probably few of us have spent the time evaluating from a data perspective to give definitive answers. In the end...it seems like you would sleep better not having a PHEV or EV, and that kind of reassurance is invaluable
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:34 PM   #233
JillX5M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
When I started this thread many months ago, I wanted to know people's experience about the 45e from a drive-ability standpoint, since I had to order one without ever driving it. I had never done that before and was nervous. I wanted to make sure it still drove like a BMW.

But your question, while a good one to ask, is CLEARLY illustrated in very large scale data pulls from across the country over many millions of vehicles (hybrids, PHEVs and EVs). The results are clear.... if you are worried about fires, DON'T buy an internal combustion engine vehicle, and especially an actual hybrid (like a prius- as these have the highest risk of all). It is really that simple. But millions of us own them, and relatively few burst into flame spontaneously (which is what it appears you are worried about).

Asking your question on this website (which is more than welcomed for sure) is asking for personal opinions on the mechanical and electric risks of a vehicle that none of us have built and probably few of us have spent the time evaluating from a data perspective to give definitive answers. In the end...it seems like you would sleep better not having a PHEV or EV, and that kind of reassurance is invaluable
I agree with you. Thank you for your response. Still a big fan of hybrids! And BMW makes a great one with the 45e
Appreciate 1
viperdoc364.00
      02-23-2023, 12:55 PM   #234
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

it can happen. why? because there’s a big battery inside! it’s up to you to weigh the risk of owning a 45e and it actually happening. i suggest looking up its predecessor, the X5 40e, to see if it has a track record of battery fires. don’t forget to differentiate between spontaneous (short circuit) vs impact-related (crash) vs user error (charging protocol neglect), etc, if the data exists

Tesla wants to keep this under the carpet, they bought back the Model S, paid for her home repair. She settled for this. I think she knew that her EVSE setup isn't up to NEC on her side. It took two mistakes, one from each side for this to happen. So lessen learn is don't play with EVSE charging NEC requirement. The lengthy charge time will magnify the risk of mistake in electrical. And don't trust tesla software. It will one day kill you.

But still, Tesla or any BEV is very different than PHEV. 45e charge at 16A for 5 hours. Much much milder and lower risk then BEV charge at 40A for 8-10 hours, which is very low to begin with. Assuming infrastrcuture is setup properly.
nZtiZia4717.50
      02-23-2023, 05:04 PM   #235
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

There's a good reason why a properly set up EVSE should never pull more than 80% of the circuit's capacity.

The other side of that is all of the connections must be secure...one reason why I prefer a hard-wired EVSE versus one with a plug on it. Sockets and plugs wear out. When you push the plug in, if it isn't hard to do, you potentially could create too much heat from the poor connection, and have problems. Even with the supplied, level 1 EVSE...builders' quality receptacles may not be sufficient for an extended higher load.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 05:13 PM   #236
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
There's a good reason why a properly set up EVSE should never pull more than 80% of the circuit's capacity.

The background was like this. she set charging limit in her Tesla to 24A. The EVSE itself is a 40A model, but on on 30A dryer circuit. I am not sure why, but it was what it was. For years, the car pull 24A, everything worked just fine even with multiple OTA, until one night that version of OTA reseted the charging limit. She set charging start at mid night. So car start pulling 32A. ~1am fire started in wire.
      02-23-2023, 07:06 PM   #237
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yes, that is a nasty situation! But, regardless, IMHO, a device that COULD pull 40A has no business being installed on a 30A circuit, especially if it is software limited and OTA updates could be applied. Programmers make mistakes and pressure to release software doesn't always find all of the bugs until something happens.

I do own an adjustable level 1/2 device, but it requires you to reset it each time prior to plugging it into a vehicle. FWIW, at least when used at home, the places where I could plug it in are sufficient for the 80% rule. That device was bought as a backup, in case of travel, or the hard-wired one happened to bite the dust.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 07:39 PM   #238
XMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 X5E

Quote:

hey internet guy, good job with your feedback. have some brownies
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 08:19 PM   #239
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMan View Post
hey internet guy, good job with your feedback. have some brownies
what kind of brownies??
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #240
XMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 X5E

'23 x5 45e owner here, bought last year.

I prefer a quicker pickup, even in sport mode, which doesn't have to achieve sub-3s.
(definitely would splurge on a M + EV option of (x5ME?))

Things I feel disappointed in so far:
would prefer a minimum of 50 miles of EV range
30 miles doesn't do enough for me
Combined ICE+EV range >450
Appreciate 1
cptcolo103.50
      02-23-2023, 08:23 PM   #241
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I prefer a quicker pickup, even in sport mode, which doesn't have to achieve sub-3s.

the XM already exists

also, there's rumor of an ///M PHEV in the form of a touring model. if only touring models came to the US...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 08:36 PM   #242
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think for that X5 is entirely the wrong car. Even M3 is just about sub3. You need teslas