BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-02-2020, 03:03 AM   #331
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Plus 1 to the above. The 30d offer was too good to turn down Q3 in UK and 45e was a few months wait. I must say that with increasing government pressure and the media vilification of the diesel, this will likely be my last oil burner and will go hybrid next time round. 40 mile range in the 45e would be more than sufficient for me everyday
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:19 AM   #332
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Even in eco pro but that really takes the fun out of the car. And at the end that was only a difference of a few mpg more not enough to suffer driving around in eco pro all the time.
Agreed. I ended up in cruise on the way home because of the sheer number of police on the motorway, and so thought might as well experiment with eco pro to see if any better. We saw at least 5 speed camera vans on bridges and more than 20 police cars. As a comparator, until Sunday I'm not sure I'd seen a single police car this year yet!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:22 AM   #333
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Plus 1 to the above. The 30d offer was too good to turn down Q3 in UK and 45e was a few months wait. I must say that with increasing government pressure and the media vilification of the diesel, this will likely be my last oil burner and will go hybrid next time round. 40 mile range in the 45e would be more than sufficient for me everyday

+2. We did investigate, but maths and wait time simply didn't add up. I'm figuring by the time my lease is up in 2023, things will have improved further still.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:35 AM   #334
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Quote:

+2. We did investigate, but maths and wait time simply didn't add up. I'm figuring by the time my lease is up in 2023, things will have improved further still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Quote:

Same, although, my wife is getting the x5 so I'm going car shopping, really fancy the 340i
      07-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #335
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Done over 12000 miles now and finally cracked over 50 mpg half way through my trip and averaged 47.6mg over my 82 mile journey. Not bad for a 2 tonne suv.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:18 AM   #336
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

So another update on the TDI Tuning box.

I run it for around a month and decided to do a quick error codes read on the car. The car threw 14 engine error codes all to do with boost pressure, cam sensor and fuel rail. Each had a code which read that there is a short circuit (to be expected with a plug and play piggy back). More worryingly, each also had a code for adverse sensor values.

I reverted back to stock and cleared the codes. Run another check the following day and they were back (sensor values).

I repeated this 4 days in a row and all codes kept coming back. As far as I am concerned this makes it very traceable and, had I not known, I could have take it to the dealer like this.

I sent the device back. The errors took around 300/400 miles worth of driving to clear (still using code reader) although they were now aged and not active codes.

The device is good, power delivery is good and car certainly faster although I did find that it tapered or significantly at the top of the range.

All in all, a normal ECU remap is the way to go. Note however, you will not be able to map these cars via OBD for a long time and will have to be bench tuned
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:43 AM   #337
bav29
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i on order

Quote:

I run it for around a month and decided to do a quick error codes read on the car. The car threw 14 engine error codes all to do with boost pressure, cam sensor and fuel rail. Each had a code which read that there is a short circuit (to be expected with a plug and play piggy back). More worryingly, each also had a code for adverse sensor values.

I reverted back to stock and cleared the codes. Run another check the following day and they were back (sensor values).

I repeated this 4 days in a row and all codes kept coming back. As far as I am concerned this makes it very traceable and, had I not known, I could have take it to the dealer like this.

I sent the device back. The errors took around 300/400 miles worth of driving to clear (still using code reader) although they were now aged and not active codes.

The device is good, power delivery is good and car certainly faster although I did find that it tapered or significantly at the top of the range.

All in all, a normal ECU remap is the way to go. Note however, you will not be able to map these cars via OBD for a long time and will have to be bench tuned
Good to know! - Thanks.

Anybody know if the same errors exist with RaceChip?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #338
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bav29 View Post
Quote:

Good to know! - Thanks.

Anybody know if the same errors exist with RaceChip?
I would imagine that it will be the same issue as principal behind both boxes is identical as are the connectors
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #339
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Quote:
I would imagine that it will be the same issue as principal behind both boxes is identical as are the connectors
Agreed.

Although I wonder if BMW's sensors are becoming more 'intelligent'. Ive ran a few of these and never had those issues, but it's 100% related to over-fuelling and makes sense that those would trigger.

I'd see if you can get those codes cleared, if youve not already, as it might cause issues if you have a warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:27 AM   #340
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilajio View Post
Hi All,

Picked up my Sapphire Black G05 on Saturday, got an amazing deal and the upgrade in seating position from a 4 series is breathtaking.

I'm loving all the tech, favourite feature has to be the head up display, can't get enough of it
Quote:
Hi All,

Picked up my Sapphire Black G05 on Saturday, got an amazing deal and the upgrade in seating position from a 4 series is breathtaking.

I'm loving all the tech, favourite feature has to be the head up display, can't get enough of it
Looks fantastic. I was supposed to pick mine up yesterday (same
Spec as yours by the looks of it) but was informed Thursday that BMW Munich have put a STOP on all hand overs of X5 30d, 530d and 330d with zero explanation to the dealerships.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 03:12 AM   #341
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghorne View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Quote:
Hi All,

Looks fantastic. I was supposed to pick mine up yesterday (same
Spec as yours by the looks of it) but was informed Thursday that BMW Munich have put a STOP on all hand overs of X5 30d, 530d and 330d with zero explanation to the dealerships.
Must be a recall issue.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #342
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Keep us updated, obviously very interested in this !

Apart from recall, it would also be a specific Production line issue for recent cars rolling off in the last few months...
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #343
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:

Apart from recall, it would also be a specific Production line issue for recent cars rolling off in the last few months...
Quote:
Quote:

Apparently it doesn't affect cars already delivered. Go figure. Something about positive battery cable. I have been given code STOP020783
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #344
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Apparently it doesn't affect cars already delivered. Go figure. Something about positive battery cable. I have been given code STOP020783
That's great they have given you a "code" - did they give you a human explanation, including an ETA on a fix?

It would be interesting to understand the outcome of the issue associated with the positive battery cable, like does it cause accelerated battery drain?..or fire?...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #345
greghorne
GReg
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's great they have given you a "code" - did they give you a human explanation, including an ETA on a fix?

It would be interesting to understand the outcome of the issue associated with the positive battery cable, like does it cause accelerated battery drain?..or fire?...
Quote:
Quote:

Nope. Gonna cancel the car. So pissed off.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #346
EUPremier
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Crikey, several comments here about paint 'damage' out of Sytner.
I just picked-up a demo 69 plate M50d, Sapphire Black.
Paint destroyed in swirl marks and those 'holograms' one gets with bad polishing.
What a bunch of muppets ...selling premium cars and can't get the valeting right.
Really marred a delivery I was looking forward to... this vehicle's a bit of a unicorn so didn't want to pass it...

Packs:
Tech
Visibility w/Laser
Comfort Plus

Others:
Sunroof
3rd row seats
Twin axle Air suspension
Integral active steering
Park Assist Plus
Acoustic glazing
Crafted Clarity
Piano black inserts
Extended high-gloss Shadow Individual

...try finding that again. Don't exist.

Will have to get the paint properly seen to... but shouldn't have to.

Looks like Sytner-wide issue. Beware when distance buying.
2019 G05 X5 M50D, 2016 F36 430d, 2012 F10 520d, 2006 E60 M5, 2005 E60 530D
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #347
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Gonna cancel the car. So pissed off.
I would do the same !

Ask for model upgrade or maybe go for a 40i petrol.

Certainly wouldn't go for a 45e, not after what I've read on this forum....
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 06:00 AM   #348
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPremier View Post
Paint destroyed in swirl marks and those 'holograms' one gets with bad polishing.
What a bunch of muppets ...selling premium cars and can't get the valeting right.
Really marred a delivery I was looking forward to... this vehicle's a bit of a unicorn so didn't want to pass it...

Packs:
Tech
Visibility w/Laser
Comfort Plus

Others:
Sunroof
3rd row seats
Twin axle Air suspension
Integral active steering
Park Assist Plus
Acoustic glazing
Crafted Clarity
Piano black inserts

I had exactly the same with sytner, same colour as well. It’s very hard paint as well, so correction will be a nightmare as I’ve found out. Plus it’s a huge car. I ended up buying a RUPES system and started to do the correction myself, taking my time on each panel. It’s made a Massive improvement. The sytner group are a bunch of outlaws, worst customer experience I’ve ever had, but like you they had my grail spec X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #349
EUPremier
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Quote:

Packs:
Tech
Visibility w/Laser
Comfort Plus

Others:
Sunroof
3rd row seats
Twin axle Air suspension
Integral active steering
Park Assist Plus
Acoustic glazing
Crafted Clarity
Piano black inserts

I had exactly the same with sytner, same colour as well. It’s very hard paint as well, so correction will be a nightmare as I’ve found out. Plus it’s a huge car. I ended up buying a RUPES system and started to do the correction myself, taking my time on each panel. It’s made a Massive improvement. The sytner group are a bunch of outlaws, worst customer experience I’ve ever had, but like you they had my grail spec X5.
I once had a laminated A4 sheet in my glovebox with a piece of string attached to hang around the rearview mirror, it read, 'Do not wash, thank you'.
No matter what you tell the service check-in agent, there's the 'risk' an apprentice will take the car and run it through a Brillo-pad wash.
I'll be making-up another one for this car.

I had to Google 'Rupes'. You're a brave man taking an orbital polisher to a new X5 without years of experience. Absolutely they work, but you're taking a layer of lacquer off... and, as you know, critical to keep moving and have the right compound.
Why did.you not just pay a bodyshop to do it?

BTW... my detailer guy sent me this to watch regarding ceramics... tricky business applying them right....
2019 G05 X5 M50D, 2016 F36 430d, 2012 F10 520d, 2006 E60 M5, 2005 E60 530D
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #350
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
I had to Google 'Rupes'. You're a brave man taking an orbital polisher to a new X5 without years of experience.
You're probably thinking of a rotary vs a random orbital polisher ...

A random orbital (RO) polisher can't do much damage unless you're a complete idiot. Unlike a rotary polisher, an RO has no direct link between the rotations and orbit so it's very safe for beginners (the spinning in fact is only due to momentum and not even powered so you can't build up much heat or cause holograms - you need a dual action (DA) for powered spinning which is a bit more dangerous, but still not as dangerous as a rotary).

If a beginner starts out on an RO polisher with the lightest cutting pad and good compounds (e.g., menzerna or whatever), and then works up, it's fairly easy to buff out light swirls / spiderwebs and do a great job on LSP/waxing without causing any damage. The downside to the beginner's safety of an RO is you can't do major paint corrections as the RO isn't powerful enough for that. It's the rotary polishers that can cause damage with holograms or worse, but are also required to do major paint corrections (like with older vehicles)

I've used ROs for years on multiple vehicles and started with zero experience - I started with a porter-cable RO, some lake country pads, some menzerna, and got a great result on my first go. Now way I'd ever try a rotary though!

Anybody who loves detailing should definitely get an RO!

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-05-2020 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 01:14 AM   #351
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I use the MK3 Big Foot which is a DA.
As mentioned above. The main reasons our black cars are covered in swirls is due to the idiot at the dealership behind the rotary when they're adding a thick coat of super resin polish to hide defects instead of correcting them with a proper system. Ever noticed after a few weeks of ownership (also when the water has stopped beading on your paintwork) the mysterious swirls and marks appear?

I'm an engineer, and very patient. I researched and also found a test vehicle to try out my new skills. The thought of it was worse than the actual exercise of using the DA.
I figured the cost of the kit would probably be cheaper than a full correction, which for an x5 can run easily over a grand. Plus I'd still have the kit at the end to either keep or sell. (I'm keeping it by the way)

My car had brush marks down the passenger side from hedges plus swirl marks. It was a fkn mess. After the thick wax had worn off it revealed all kinds of nastiness. I spoke to a few specialist, contacted RUPES, watched heaps of online webinars, demos etc. Then went to work on some old golf MK5 panels. Once confident, which took all of 30 mins (was more about handling the tool more than anything else)
I set off on the least aggressive compound and pad I had. Sapphire black met is as hard as diamond. Very tough paint to correct. First day spend 12 hours on it including full wash with paint decontamination, clay bar, remove ferrous materials etc. And butty break of course. This was just the passenger side. Then a further 8 hours on the rest. I could keep going and probably will at some point. But the improvement is incredible and more than acceptable. But perfection it is not, but no vehicle rarely is.

I'll post up some pics when I get 5
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 01:56 AM   #352
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Obviously the before shots, after strip back or polish and waxes, wash, degrease paintwork, remove ferrous materials, and clay bar.
Obviously see the scratches in the clear coat, plus the dullness and flatness of the overall paintwork. Make no mistake a good thick application of super resin polish/wax would hide/mask this for a short while, wouldn’t pass a close up inspection, but to the untrained eye, whilst your far too excited, collecting your new toy, it would. (This vehicle was delivered by the way due to lock down) this is a trick of the dealerships, rotary buffer and some heavy wax, oh, most importantly an idiot to apply it.

Photos show rear passenger side door, just for consistency. The whole side front to back was the same. Actually looking pretty bad I’d say. Consider these are close up shots, but still for a car with only 8k miles not exactly indicative of its age, certainly not as was described by the dealership.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1