BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Cruise control with brake function

What’s your interpretation of ‘Cruise control with brake function’
What should I expect this function to do?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
Here you go. https://bmw.scene7.com/s7viewers/htm...63506028_en-US
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer826.50
      07-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
What's your interpretation of 'Cruise control with brake function'
Here you go. https://bmw.scene7.com/s7viewers/htm...63506028_en-US
Isn't that the adaptive CC in the instruction film?

CC with braking function is the classic CC that brakes to the new set speed when you manually decrease the speed your self.

If you want automatic speed regulation you need adaptive cruise controle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Addbuyer826.50
      07-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mitch but that’s a system I believe is called ‘adaptive cruise control’ which I’ve had previous cars. It matches the speed of the car in front if it’s going slower than my set speed.

My X5 is supposed to be fitted with something called ‘cruise control with brake function’ so I’m thinking it’s standard cruise control but with an emergency brake function to avoid hitting the car in front should it slow down or perform an emergency stop. I would then expect the driver i.e. myself to have to move off again / take control to move off again?

I have used the cruise control for the first time today and there certainly isn’t any type of brake control
I let the car run up behind slower cars in front as close as I dare before taking control. So where is the ‘with brake control’

I am getting concerned about what I’ve purchased here. It’s an ex demonstrator which I noticed immediately upon collection, hasnt got the hot/cold cup holders installed despite the car having the comfort plus package. It’s got all the other comfort plus features, soft close doors, massage cooled seats etc. I’m not in the slightest bit bothered about the cup holders, it’s something I would never use but the brake function on the cruise control is a safety feature.

I’ve also noticed that the pedestrian braking or collision avoidance system might not be operational either as I’ve got it set to early but not once has it altered me to some incidents that have been close calls so to say
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
bav29
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i on order

The brake function will work when you travel downhill to stop you over speeding.
Appreciate 2
Addbuyer826.50
SKBSY885.00
      07-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Isn't that the adaptive CC in the instruction film?

CC with braking function is the classic CC that brakes to the new set speed when you manually decrease the speed your self.

If you want automatic speed regulation you need adaptive cruise controle.
Now that might just explain what the brake function is. Seems a bit daft to me at the moment but maybe it makes sense when using it

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bav29 View Post
The brake function will work when you travel downhill to stop you over speeding.
Yes that’s another good explanation thanks but I thought all cruise control systems prevent over speeding on a slope?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #8
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

The "with brake function" does seem to be standard in today's cruise control systems, but I remember that my 1996 E39 BMW would only accelerate or coast but never break in cruise control, thus occasionally gaining speed on downhill slopes.
Appreciate 2
Addbuyer826.50
      07-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Mitch but that's a system I believe is called 'adaptive cruise control' which I've had previous cars. It matches the speed of the car in front if it's going slower than my set speed.

My X5 is supposed to be fitted with something called 'cruise control with brake function' so I'm thinking it's standard cruise control but with an emergency brake function to avoid hitting the car in front should it slow down or perform an emergency stop. I would then expect the driver i.e. myself to have to move off again / take control to move off again?

I have used the cruise control for the first time today and there certainly isn't any type of brake control
I let the car run up behind slower cars in front as close as I dare before taking control. So where is the 'with brake control'

I am getting concerned about what I've purchased here. It's an ex demonstrator which I noticed immediately upon collection, hasnt got the hot/cold cup holders installed despite the car having the comfort plus package. It's got all the other comfort plus features, soft close doors, massage cooled seats etc. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the cup holders, it's something I would never use but the brake function on the cruise control is a safety feature.

I've also noticed that the pedestrian braking or collision avoidance system might not be operational either as I've got it set to early but not once has it altered me to some incidents that have been close calls so to say
The emergency braking function has nothing to do with the CC. They work separately.

The CC brakes if you lower the set speed with the levers on your steering wheel. And that is all the braking it does. So only if you manually order it to do so. It is the classic term Bmw uses for the standar cruise controle since years.

The standard emergency braking for cars and pedestrians is only for city speeds. It needs the radar of adaptive cruise controle to be active on highway speeds.

It is quite difficult to activate emergency braking on purpose. So it is hard to test.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer826.50
      07-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #10
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
The emergency braking function has nothing to do with the CC. They work separately.

The CC brakes if you lower the set speed with the levers on your steering wheel. And that is all the braking it does. So only if you manually order it to do so. It is the classic term Bmw uses for the standar cruise controle since years.

The standard emergency braking for cars and pedestrians is only for city speeds. It needs the radar of adaptive cruise controle to be active on highway speeds.

It is quite difficult to activate emergency braking on purpose. So it is hard to test.
The side and rear auto breaking via the parking sensors is another system that’s hard to test as well. Get it wrong.... get a dent
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      07-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Is there anything in the owners manual about this? It also depends on other options your BMW has....which can be determined by the button layout on the left side of the MFL steering wheel.

CC w/brake function (aka dynamic cruise control) is not the same thing as ACC (adaptive/active cruise control ), or CC w/active driving or traffic jam assist:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-08-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 5
VTENGR1043.50
Paladin15457.50
      07-09-2020, 04:55 AM   #12
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Is there anything in the owners manual about this? It also depends on other options your BMW has....which can be determined by the button layout on the left side of the MFL steering wheel.

CC w/brake function (aka dynamic cruise control) is not the same thing as ACC (adaptive/active cruise control ), or CC w/active driving or traffic jam assist:

Thats exactly the info I was looking for
I didn't come across any info when searching so thanks very much. Im the first 72 seconds of that video.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 04:14 AM   #14
Os1066
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Software download

Quote:
Thats exactly the info I was looking for
I didn't come across any info when searching so thanks very much. Im the first 72 seconds of that video.
By any chance did you see if you can download the ACC with stop and go function that can be seen in the U.K. at https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/ACC_Offer_gb

I am going to be in the same position as you and I was interested to see if that worked?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #15
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Os1066 View Post
By any chance did you see if you can download the ACC with stop and go function that can be seen in the U.K. at https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/ACC_Offer_gb

I am going to be in the same position as you and I was interested to see if that worked?
I was never going to download anything or upgrade the cruise control in any way. I just wanted to know what CC with brake function did. Basically its just standard cruise control but the car will warn you if you are getting too close to the car in front by showing a cred car symbol on the consul. If you don't react you become too close very quickly (not watching what's going on in front) you get a warning sound as well as the red car symbol. The third stage is the car will bang on the brakes to try and avoid an accident. Whether this system would actually stop the car dead from a high speed is something i haven't had to test out. Maybe someone else has experience of this?

I have had adaptive cruise in other vehicles and find it useless so wouldn't spec it. Maybe things have improved since my last experience of ACC but i found it too slow to pick up once it had braked and another two cars had pulled into the gap it left so it braked again... never got anywhere
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I recently drove 2000-miles over a week, mostly on ACC. It works. I think it works a little better with the last s/w update I got (03.21) versus the s/w it was delivered with (07.20). You can set the following distance you want. Safety people recommend a 2-second gap between you and the vehicle ahead, whose distance will obviously change based on your speed. I tend to set mine to max, but it does tend to encourage aggressive drivers to pull in in front of you! One of my pet peeves is people that pass, then pull in front of you with little gap on a multi-lane highway where there's nobody else around...this causes the ACC to slow down unless you manually hold the speed until the gap increases. Way back when I was learning to drive, the instructor always told us to not pull back in until you could see the entire front end of the vehicle you just passed in the mirror...that generally will put you far enough ahead of them so if they have ACC, you won't cause them to slow down and it's a lot more comfortable for everyone involved.

On an older BMW, on a long grade, instead of using the brakes, I noticed that it downshifted rather than using the brakes...that is safer, because on a really long downhill, you could easily overheat them if they were constantly being applied and then not be available should you really need to stop. It might have used the brakes in other circumstances, but generally, I didn't notice. I guess it did slow down fairly quickly with the steering wheel buttons, so may very well have been using the brakes.
Appreciate 0