Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanresa View Post
Hello BMW Community,

I wanted to ask if the following devices really work with bimmercode app to code my BMW X5 G05 2020, some people say it does, but the bimmercode website does not have them listed for this specific model:

- Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 Scanner for iOS & Android

Thanks a lot
Not for G-series on either iOS or Android. It's best to get the initial data right from the bimmercode-mouth, it is there.
Attached Images

07-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #1388
vinch9292
China
Rep
Drives: BMW 530Le G38

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtreo View Post
Just curious, how do you defeat capacitive resistance?
I remember there were those fabric gloves I bought during winter that can work on iPhone screen without taking the glove off. I wonder if that works?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #1389
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinch9292 View Post
I remember there were those fabric gloves I bought during winter that can work on iPhone screen without taking the glove off. I wonder if that works?
Those gloves work becuase the thread in them is conductive. You can retrofit any glove to behave that way. Just buy a spool of conductive thread online and sew a little patch on the tip of the finger of the glove.

The glove alone won't work to defeat this safety system. It would still have to be on your hand.

I once saw a video of kids in Korea using a mini hot dog type sausage to work their phones with gloves on. That would work here, but you would be jamming a big hunk of meat on your steering wheel - who wants that!

With all that being said, I'm not sure how the BMW steering wheel could be capactive through the leather. That would mean you would have to touch to seams for it work and I'm not sure that's the case. Would also make the driving assist features worthless while wearing most common gloves. I'm guessing the steering wheel works on resistive touch, but have not experimented to find out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #1390
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Those gloves work becuase the thread in them is conductive. You can retrofit any glove to behave that way. Just buy a spool of conductive thread online and sew a little patch on the tip of the finger of the glove.

The glove alone won't work to defeat this safety system. It would still have to be on your hand.

I once saw a video of kids in Korea using a mini hot dog type sausage to work their phones with gloves on. That would work here, but you would be jamming a big hunk of meat on your steering wheel - who wants that!

With all that being said, I'm not sure how the BMW steering wheel could be capactive through the leather. That would mean you would have to touch to seams for it work and I'm not sure that's the case. Would also make the driving assist features worthless while wearing most common gloves. I'm guessing the steering wheel works on resistive touch, but have not experimented to find out.
I've brushed my finger on the steering wheel to clear the yellow hands-on warning while using ACC. It definitely acts capacitive. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #1391
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I've brushed my finger on the steering wheel to clear the yellow hands-on warning while using ACC. It definitely acts capacitive. Who knows.
I guess the true test would be driving with gloves on.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #1392
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is no test. I told you it uses capacitive resistance HOD. Don't you believe me?

Now if someone could simulate a signal from the HOD inside the wheel, or even manipulate it, in 'theory' that would defeat the system.

https://www.iee-sensing.com/en/produ...-off-detection
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #1393
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is no test. I told you it uses capacitive resistance HOD. Don't you believe me?

Now if someone could simulate a signal from the HOD inside the wheel, or even manipulate it, in 'theory' that would defeat the system.

https://www.iee-sensing.com/en/produ...-off-detection
Not that I don't believe you. It's just that the implementation of capactive touch for this use doesn't make sense unless the terminology is different for steering wheels as they are for touch screens. Capactive means for the steering wheel to register a touch a conductor must me placed on it (hand, finger, etc). Surely bmw would think ppl would drive their cars with gloves on making capactive touch useless.

Does this mean everyone with this car needs special gloves for the winter if they want to use the driver assist features?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #1394
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Maybe they expect people that wear gloves to buy a jag

I never use them so not relevant to me, but if they didn't work, and I didn't have a heated wheel, and really needed to wear gloves then I'd buy capacitive ones.

Same principal with the HUD. Don't use polarised lenses.

What I have noticed is if you rest your bare leg against it (shorts) works fine. Jeans work well, jogging bottoms not good, so material is definitely a factor.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #1395
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I never use them so not relevant to me, but if they didn't work, and I didn't have a heated wheel, and really needed to wear gloves then I'd buy capacitive ones.

What I have noticed is if you rest your bare leg against it (shorts) works fine. Jeans work well, jogging bottoms not good, so material is definitely a factor.
Guess I'm more interested in how it works through the leather wrapped steering wheel. That alone would offer enough insulation to render a typical capacitive sensor useless.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #1396
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Guess I'm more interested in how it works through the leather wrapped steering wheel. That alone would offer enough insulation to render a typical capacitive sensor useless.
It could definitely be capacitative. Theorizing, there are two or more conductive electrode channels burrows in the wheel below the leather. That structure plus leather are the baseline dielectric and can be pre-calibrated to current temperature and humidity at car driver ready prep stage (eg during all those whirls your hear). Your hand affects the dielectric coefficient of the structure enough to detect. We did something similar at my previous company to contactless detect removal of a small bulk of plastic. With proper/careful very small signal noise control, it worked quite well and our capacitance difference was only a couple of pF — human hands are likely way higher variation.
      07-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #1397
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
It could definitely be capacitative. Theorizing, there are two or more conductive electrode channels burrows in the wheel below the leather. That structure plus leather are the baseline dielectric and can be pre-calibrated to current temperature and humidity at car driver ready prep stage (eg during all those whirls your hear). Your hand affects the dielectric coefficient of the structure enough to detect. We did something similar at my previous company to contactless detect removal of a small bulk of plastic. With proper/careful very small signal noise control, it worked quite well and our capacitance difference was only a couple of pF — human hands are likely way higher variation.
It definitely is two-sided.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #1398
alpha265
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

BimmerCode 3.6 for iOS is out.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #1399
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha265 View Post
Can we finally code the trunk to close with a single button push on keyfob and driverdoor button?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #1400
1coolF15D2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05

Quote:
It would be nice to have the door handle to light up while on reverse like on F15 and add the carpet lighting too(wishful thinking).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #1401
alpha265
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Quote:
Can we finally code the trunk to close with a single button push on keyfob and driverdoor button?
I coded the remote trunk open. It worked as expected.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #1402
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought opening by fob was stock and closing needs the coding 🤔
      07-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #1403
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
^^^ this
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 11:35 PM   #1404
alpha265
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I meant coded remote close worked as expected.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:34 AM   #1405
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

As in, single click to close? I now have to keep pressing the button on keyfob or doorswitch to close it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:29 AM   #1406
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Just coded the trunk. It can now open and close with a single button click on the driver door.
Through keyfob it works as well, but there is some sort of delay. You have to keep pressing the keyfob button until you hear a click, than releasethe button and than the trunk will close fully.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #1407
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
Quote:
Quote:
something is missing to be able to set rules for all seats, I did the two listed above, I now have the menu but I can not change the temp value nor can I check box each rule.
Hm, that set of codes was part of a bigger set. I didn't think the rest was needed, but could definitely be wrong. Here is the full set — the BDC coding might be needed as well.

Steering wheel auto heat activation:

[COLOR="Blue"]BDC_BODY3/7083 (on G05)
- LHZ_CCM_IKF: aktiv
- IKF_ENABLE: ikf_alle_sitze[/COLOR]

HU_MGU/3E52 (on G05)
- AKT_AUTO_LENKRADHEIZUNG: aktiv

For seat heat/cool auto activation:

HU_MGU/3E52 (on G05)
- AKT_AUTO_SITZE_FOND: heizung_kuehlung (for rear seat heating and cooling)
- AKT_AUTO_SITZE_FRONT: heizung_kuehlungn (for front seat heating and cooling)

Use heizung for just heating

X54TH, ElectroGeek
I can't find

BDC_BODY3/7083 (on G05)
- IKF_ENABLE: ikf_alle_sitze

UPDATE

Found them in

PFlinRE
Others_1
Good! For future reference, I don't think you need to browse manually by group if you know the FDL parameter name. There is a search function in Expert Mode, my screencap shows it , for an example.
Hey can't set the temp on any of the seats. What have I done wrong?

Never mind. I got it. All is good. Make sure you code everything listed including the steering wheel.
Does anyone know how to resolve this? I too coded in the auto seat hearting but cannot set either to on or off or select a temperature
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #1408
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
something is missing to be able to set rules for all seats, I did the two listed above, I now have the menu but I can not change the temp value nor can I check box each rule.
Hm, that set of codes was part of a bigger set. I didn't think the rest was needed, but could definitely be wrong. Here is the full set — the BDC coding might be needed as well.

Steering wheel auto heat activation:

[COLOR="Blue"]BDC_BODY3/7083 (on G05)
- IKF_ENABLE: ikf_alle_sitze[/COLOR]

HU_MGU/3E52 (on G05)
- AKT_AUTO_LENKRADHEIZUNG: aktiv

For seat heat/cool auto activation:

HU_MGU/3E52 (on G05)
- AKT_AUTO_SITZE_FOND: heizung_kuehlung (for rear seat heating and cooling)
- AKT_AUTO_SITZE_FRONT: heizung_kuehlungn (for front seat heating and cooling)

Use heizung for just heating

X54TH, ElectroGeek
I can't find

BDC_BODY3/7083 (on G05)
- IKF_ENABLE: ikf_alle_sitze

UPDATE

Found them in

PFlinRE
Others_1
Good! For future reference, I don't think you need to browse manually by group if you know the FDL parameter name. There is a search function in Expert Mode, my screencap shows it , for an example.
Hey can't set the temp on any of the seats. What have I done wrong?

Never mind. I got it. All is good. Make sure you code everything listed including the steering wheel.
Does anyone know how to resolve this? I too coded in the auto seat hearting but cannot set either to on or off or select a temperature
read above, you have to do all 5 in order for it to work. you must have missed one.
Appreciate 0