BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #23
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

Mine worked with hard braking today when backing out of my garage. It read the wall...not someone behind me.

It's why they are called "driver aids" or "driver assistance" lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #24
DFWBMX5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 X40i

This is so frustrating!!!! The dealer said that it's functioning as designed!
So I guess it's designed to not work!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #25
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWBMX5 View Post
This is so frustrating!!!! The dealer said that it's functioning as designed!
So I guess it's designed to not work!!!
Correct. Or also possible: dealer is a moron. Either/or.
      07-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #26
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Mine works. Alerting, braking and a visual on the dash. Luckily it never really had to avoid an accident.

Have a bicycle lane in front of my house and a primary school at the end of the road. When backing out and slowly rolling in reverse, it tends to activate when a cyclist or car is approaching.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #27
DFWBMX5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 X40i

Update: I refused to take the car back and asked to drive with a shop foreman.
I demonstrated to him that cross traffic does not work and he agreed.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that they fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #28
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

I had questioned this like many of you, but today I was backing out of a spot and a 5 series came flying (i.e. faster than they should have been going) through the parking lot. I received the alert & warning sound (not sure if it did any braking, because I was already using them to control my backout speed, so I just pressed down quickly to stop).
      07-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #29
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstr8 View Post
Mine worked with hard braking today when backing out of my garage. It read the wall...not someone behind me.

It's why they are called "driver aids" or "driver assistance" lol
You sure that wasn't automatic braking for rear & side parking sensors (each can be turned on/off)? Those will just stop the car and do not have the same alert as moving/collision warnings.
      07-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #30
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
You sure that wasn't automatic braking for rear & side parking sensors (each can be turned on/off)? Those will just stop the car and do not have the same alert as moving/collision warnings.
Is there somewhere to enable automatic braking? I'm not entirely sure that my MY19 would stop if I got close (and I'm too chicken to try! -ha). I get lots of red and beeping when I reverse into my garage but no braking. I also don't get any braking when the bike rack is on (I don't have the "Trailer Mode" since I'm using an aftermarket hitch without electrics).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #31
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBOS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Is there somewhere to enable automatic braking? I'm not entirely sure that my MY19 would stop if I got close (and I'm too chicken to try! -ha). I get lots of red and beeping when I reverse into my garage but no braking. I also don't get any braking when the bike rack is on (I don't have the "Trailer Mode" since I'm using an aftermarket hitch without electrics).
Yeah, I would have to go look for the settings to give you the exact steps, but it should either be in the settings when you have parking assist active or just in the driver assist settings.
      07-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #32
Carneylad
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d, Tesla Model 3

I must admit that I haven't had an issue with mine at all. I have noticed it working a few time's as I try to pull out onto a main road from a difficult junction. In terms of how I got it to do it, basically all I did was to activate the panorama camera when I got to the junction. I then saved this to the auto gps activation thing so the cameras activate every time I get to that junction. On the main display with the camera feed showing, it I'll flash red on the side where the other vehicle is approaching from. Audible beeps too. I'm also aware that my car does use its auto brake function and it has saved me a few times from low bollards/barriers in car parks. The car will jolt to a halt and display a message on the screen.

The test I haven't conducted yet is to get a large cardboard box and drive towards it to see if the car stops. This weekend is as good as any. Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #33
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carneylad View Post
I must admit that I haven't had an issue with mine at all. I have noticed it working a few time's as I try to pull out onto a main road from a difficult junction. In terms of how I got it to do it, basically all I did was to activate the panorama camera when I got to the junction. I then saved this to the auto gps activation thing so the cameras activate every time I get to that junction. On the main display with the camera feed showing, it I'll flash red on the side where the other vehicle is approaching from. Audible beeps too. I'm also aware that my car does use its auto brake function and it has saved me a few times from low bollards/barriers in car parks. The car will jolt to a halt and display a message on the screen.

The test I haven't conducted yet is to get a large cardboard box and drive towards it to see if the car stops. This weekend is as good as any. Wish me luck.
The GPS-based camera activation is great. Being up higher helps with my blocked view a bit (cars around the driveway), but the wide angle front cam is a game changer. Super handy.
      07-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #34
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I noticed that I don't have "Active PDC with braking interv." even as an option under Car / Settings / Driver Assistance / Parking and Maneuvering, which for a fully loaded 2019 X5 40i I find a bit odd.
M SPORT PACKAGE
EXECUTIVE PACKAGE
DRIVING ASSISTANCE PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE
LUXURY SEATING PACKAGE
PREMIUM PACKAGE 2
PARKING ASSISTANCE PACKAGE

Did a test in my driveway with a couple of very large empty cardboard boxes. Sure enough I get the warning sounds but no automatic braking.

There's mention in the manual that came with the car, the following.
"This function may not be available. Contact your authorized dealer’s service center or another qualified service center as to whether this additional function is currently in your vehicle or when it can be installed in your vehicle in the future"

I could swear that I saw it there a while ago before the dealer upgraded the car to 2019/11.40 (I've also never seen a software upgrade available in the Connected Drive app, but I don't think I'm alone there).

Does anyone with a similar build have automated braking in reverse working? What software version are you if please and do you have the "Active PDC with braking interv." option in the settings please?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:48 PM   #35
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

You have a far more equipped vehicle than I do and mine has it. I have a 2020, software is 07/2019(.63?) I believe. My major packages are convenience & parking assist. This feature existed well before the G05 (my 540 also has it, though only for rear obstacle detection, side detection is not an option).

Are your other options under Parking/Maneuvering showing? I have:

-Automatic PDC activation
-Active PDC with braking interv.
-Automatic parking
-Cross traffic warning
-Panorama view, GPS-based
-Volume PDC signal
      07-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #36
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks timmahh I have everything listed except "Active PDC with braking interv."

I think I saw it there when I picked up the car last year (03/2019.xx I think) and it's possible it disappeared with the dealer update to 11/2019.40. Perhaps a setting got unchecked when they updated the car. Probably available somewhere in the coding cookbook.

At least I have something to go on now and can ask them to check stuff out
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #37
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks timmahh I have everything listed except "Active PDC with braking interv."

I think I saw it there when I picked up the car last year (03/2019.xx I think) and it's possible it disappeared with the dealer update to 11/2019.40. Perhaps a setting got unchecked when they updated the car. Probably available somewhere in the coding cookbook.

At least I have something to go on now and can ask them to check stuff out
MY19 vehicles won't get this feature without coding. They DO have the correct radar sensors for reverse emergency braking, but do NOT have the correct sensors for flank emergency braking. Flank braking would be a brake action initiated by a rear cross traffic warning versus the sonar based parking sensors.

With coding within the ACSM and HU ECUs, MY19 vehicles CAN enable rear emergency active PDC without the flank option.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #38
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
I noticed that I don't have "Active PDC with braking interv." even as an option under Car / Settings / Driver Assistance / Parking and Maneuvering, which for a fully loaded 2019 X5 40i I find a bit odd.
M SPORT PACKAGE
EXECUTIVE PACKAGE
DRIVING ASSISTANCE PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE
LUXURY SEATING PACKAGE
PREMIUM PACKAGE 2
PARKING ASSISTANCE PACKAGE

Did a test in my driveway with a couple of very large empty cardboard boxes. Sure enough I get the warning sounds but no automatic braking.

There's mention in the manual that came with the car, the following.
"This function may not be available. Contact your authorized dealer’s service center or another qualified service center as to whether this additional function is currently in your vehicle or when it can be installed in your vehicle in the future"

I could swear that I saw it there a while ago before the dealer upgraded the car to 2019/11.40 (I've also never seen a software upgrade available in the Connected Drive app, but I don't think I'm alone there).

Does anyone with a similar build have automated braking in reverse working? What software version are you if please and do you have the "Active PDC with braking interv." option in the settings please?
Nope. BMW promised the feature and even advertised it in the safety videos and didn’t activated it. They even show the safety feature working on 2019 X5’s to get its 5 star safety rating yet basically defrauded their customers by not including it. This has been a hot topic in many threads for the last year. Most though certainly BMW will correct this in a firmware update but nothing so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #39
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
MY19 vehicles won't get this feature without coding. They DO have the correct radar sensors for reverse emergency braking, but do NOT have the correct sensors for flank emergency braking. Flank braking would be a brake action initiated by a rear cross traffic warning versus the sonar based parking sensors.

With coding within the ACSM and HU ECUs, MY19 vehicles CAN enable rear emergency active PDC without the flank option.
Hi hkleyman, given that I do have the "Cross Traffic Warning" available to me, and it's enabled, then I assume that I have the required sensors for the "Flank braking" that you mention. Does that sounds about right?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #40
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post

Hi hkleyman, given that I do have the "Cross Traffic Warning" available to me, and it's enabled, then I assume that I have the required sensors for the "Flank braking" that you mention. Does that sounds about right?
Nope. I have a MY19 as well. We have standard radar sensors for flank protection. MY20 got advanced radar sensors for flank. We get the alert, but no braking. Again we can both code rear emergency braking (backing straight into something), but not cross traffic alert triggered braking.
Appreciate 1
SWBOS48.00
      07-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #41
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
I had this feature on my last 3 x G30’s, when I edged of the driveway onto the road, it would flash red and an auditable alert could be heard, with enough time to react. Tried this on the g05 today, car in drive, auto hold off, edging forward on the foot brake, same driveway, car approaches, nothing, nadda. I stayed there waiting for it to work, only got a single red flash, no audio when a Bus passes. It flashed at the point I’d of hit it. Zero warning.
Is there a fix for this? Is it a hardware issue? I’m running March 20 software?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #42
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

I may be wrong here, but

Radar sensors = hidden behind the body panels at back & front depending on equipment. Rear is standard and gives us rear cross traffic and blind spot warning. Not used for parking.

Ultrasonic sensors = visible in your bumper.
Front and rear standard, and would offer rear-only braking. Parking assist package adds the side sensors, which is why it can parallel park etc and provide side braking. It CANNOT detect object movement.

If it was using the radar sensors for parking, then we would have them in the back of the vehicle too, but they're only at the corners(?).
      07-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #43
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I tested mine and it doesn’t work either. I have PDC with braking intervention as well and I verified that it’s all on.

I don’t even get warnings. I pulled out of my driveway as far as I dared into cross traffic (which was within a few feet of the passing vehicle) and nothing.

I haven’t done the cardboard box test yet either, but I will later. I really don’t feel like taking my car back to the dealer only a month after I purchased it...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #44
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I tested mine and it doesn't work either. I have PDC with braking intervention as well and I verified that it's all on.

I don't even get warnings. I pulled out of my driveway as far as I dared into cross traffic (which was within a few feet of the passing vehicle) and nothing.

I haven't done the cardboard box test yet either, but I will later. I really don't feel like taking my car back to the dealer only a month after I purchased it...
Question - were you able to see the traffic? I ask because when mine activated, my view while backing out was blocked by another vehicle. It alerted me; I couldn't see the car until it moved past the blind spot for me. I wonder if that has anything to do with how it works; ie if something is blocking visibility and it detects a fast object approaching the rear corner. Approach speed of the object may be at play here too - like a stationary cardboard box isn't going to activate rear cross traffic.

The PDC system does not detect movement, it can only map solid, stationary objects. The auto pdc braking occurs within a small distance to the object, like when I tandem park in front of my 5, I'll let it roll back and it will halt itself about 6-7 inches away.