BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Security.....

Take delivery of my G05 in a week, and have been looking into security options.....

I am getting the Ghost Immobiliser and a SmarTrack S7 Tracker installed on the same day as I collect the vehicle.

However, just looking at visual deterrents too - considering the Disklok steering wheel lock - could someone advise on whether the small size would fit? Small is a steering wheel diameter of 35-39cm....

Also - wheel security bolts. Is it recommended to buy another non-BMW set in addition?

Finally - the key - is it possible to easily turn off the keyless entry system?
Does it have a motion sensor that stop transmission if the key isn't moved for a period of time?
Or do I need to invest in a Faraday box to keep the key in?

Thank you

Last edited by IftiBashir; 07-10-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Least specific thread title ever. Fix it.
Appreciate 4
thereef5101164.00
Cooltones241.00
pho116.00
varga2.00
      07-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Take delivery of my G05 in a week, and have been looking into security options.....

I am getting the Ghost Immobiliser and a SmarTrack S7 Tracker installed on the same day as I collect the vehicle.

However, just looking at visual deterrents too - considering the Disklok steering wheel lock - could someone advise on whether the small size would fit? Small is a steering wheel diameter of 35-39cm....

Also - wheel security bolts. Is it recommended to buy another non-BMW set in addition?

Does it have a motion sensor that stop transmission if the key isn't moved for a period of time?

Thank you
You do realize the car is completely computer Controlled with uplink to BMW making the car incredibly hard to steel, and if it was stolen BMW can shut it down remotely along with give police its current location.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Sounds like someone lives on the bad side of town!!!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
bandersen586.00
      07-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:

Thank you
I believe if you check the owner's manual you can put the keys to sleep so they don't transmit. If I recall correctly they have motion sensors that put the key to sleep after 45 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

The car can be tracked and as said the keys go to sleep after a short period of no movement, something that I didn’t know until someone on here mentioned it. That said I still put my keys in a faraday box just to be sure but it’s only a car and should it go then I have a good “back to invoice” insurance policy. Do you really want the hassle of storing and fitting a dishlok
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:

Thank you
The electronic system is extremely sensitive and more aware in the g series vehicles. An immobilizer may cause problems. The rest of the forum is correct, the vehicle includes tracking by default thru BMW, and they send you a stolen vehicle tracking certificate after activation to provide to your insurance for any potential discount eligibility.

Wheel locks are fine from BMW but it's only 1 of the lugs, so if you're concerned you could swap out an additional one.

Key goes to sleep by default after 10 minutes of no motion. Can get a faraday bag or code the key to shut off after 45 seconds to a minute.

If you have the upgraded leather on the steering wheel, you will mark it up over time with a steering wheel lock.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

You can also just leave your key further back in your house, most issues arise from people who keep them by the front door...a steering wheel lock is probably a bit ott since the car has a flashing red light when locked which most tea leaves know about
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
      07-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #9
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Key goes to sleep by default after 10 minutes of no motion. Can get a faraday bag or code the key to shut off after 45 seconds to a minute.
I'm guessing this requires Esys in order to code this for 45 seconds as I have not seen this option in Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #10
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
I'm guessing this requires Esys in order to code this for 45 seconds as I have not seen this option in Bimmercode.
It's possible in Bimmercode expert mode. I believe within the BDC module. I'd need to plug in and check to find that parameter again
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #11
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry if my question caused anyone any grief - its my first BMW and I'm collecting next week. Ive been informed by my dealer that the Connected Drive system is not a tracker, and that the vehicle doesn't come with a tracker pre-installed....

Last edited by IftiBashir; 07-11-2020 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Sorry if my question caused anyone any grief - its my first BMW and I'm collecting next week. Ive been informed by my dealer that the Connected Drive system is not a tracker, and that the vehicle doesn't come with a tracker pre-installed....
Unless there is something drastically different in the UK your dealer is incorrect. Vehicle tracking is built into the X5 and can be accessed by the Connected App.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Unless there is something drastically different in the UK your dealer is incorrect. Vehicle tracking is built into the X5 and can be accessed by the Connected App.
why does your app say "climatize now"? does it give you more options after you push that option to set the temperature inside the car when the engine is turned on remotely?

I'm asking because mine says 'start engine now' and gives me zero options after that:

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
why does your app say "climatize now"? does it give you more options after you push that option to set the temperature inside the car when the engine is turned on remotely?

I'm asking because mine says 'start engine now' and gives me zero options after that:
That is the option for remote start. I guess the wording is different between iPhones and Androids. There is no additional options just the confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:46 AM   #15
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Though it isn't hugely accurate, more an approximation of range. I did a thread on this previously (for a slightly different reason) as the address shown is not where the car (is about 1/2m away) and the picture show a different location again.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:45 AM   #16
Splang
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Though it isn't hugely accurate, more an approximation of range. I did a thread on this previously (for a slightly different reason) as the address shown is not where the car (is about 1/2m away) and the picture show a different location again.
For me the location is always spot on. Very accurate
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:46 AM   #17
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splang View Post
there are a lot of influencing factors of the accuracy, one being built up areas and signal strength.
Also check out Operation Cundall, which give police authority to contact BMW Munich to track the cars internal GPS. Not a lot of people know this
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:51 AM   #18
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splang View Post
I think I have got (at least) two things going on tbf.
The first is likely rural location and therefore fewer phone masts.
Second is more complex. Long story short, we have a house name which is the only one in the country. Type it into Google Maps, it only brings up our house. However Google Maps is wrong (and proving impossible to fix!) and so takes you to a house up the road.
This is the address where the Connected Drive thinks the car is, not where the car actually is, or where our house is. Sounds too much like a co-oincidence, but we haven't entered the house name, just the post code for the home address on the car, which is different to the wrong house.

Does it matter? No. Is it bugging me? Yes!
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      07-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #19
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

How do you feel about Keyless entry??
This will be my first keyless entry car, and I'm the type of person who generally locks my car and listens to it lock so I know its done!
Either that or I give the door handle a pull to ensure its locked! lol

With keyless entry - how far do you get from the car before it locks/unlocks??
Is it literally a few feet or is it more?

Also, from a security perspective, do you generally switch off keyless entry or leave it enabled and stick the keys in a faraday pouch/box while at home, or at the other end of the house?!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #20
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

All my previous keyless entry motors have been operated by touching the door handle to open and pressing a button on the door handle to lock. My X5 unlocks when im approx 1.5 mtrs away and locks when i move appox 2.5 mtrs away from it. Ive set the car to bleep as a notification, two bleep when it opens and one bleep when it locks. Also the mirrors fold in or out so you cant miss it.
I would never buy a car without keyless entry, I love it, so easy and lazy.
The X5 system ive described above is great until you want to leave someone in the car, say at the petrol station when you go off to pay. If the keys in your pocket then the car locks. I am sure i can change its locking method and i know that Keyless can be turned off completely.
When are you collecting?
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #21
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
All my previous keyless entry motors have been operated by touching the door handle to open and pressing a button on the door handle to lock. My X5 unlocks when im approx 1.5 mtrs away and locks when i move appox 2.5 mtrs away from it. Ive set the car to bleep as a notification, two bleep when it opens and one bleep when it locks. Also the mirrors fold in or out so you cant miss it.
I would never buy a car without keyless entry, I love it, so easy and lazy.
The X5 system ive described above is great until you want to leave someone in the car, say at the petrol station when you go off to pay. If the keys in your pocket then the car locks. I am sure i can change its locking method and i know that Keyless can be turned off completely.
When are you collecting?
Great, sounds good! I assume you set the beeps via the settings in-car?

Collecting Sat morning.
Currently having the BMW Dual Dash Cam fitted as well as the gloss black kidney grill
Can't wait!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #22
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Great, sounds good! I assume you set the beeps via the settings in-car?

Collecting Sat morning.
Currently having the BMW Dual Dash Cam fitted as well as the gloss black kidney grill
Can't wait!!
You do realise we will need photos when you get it mate
Appreciate 2