BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

New X5 - is paint protection and interior protection worth it?

We're getting our new X5 in a week or two. Would love to get thoughts on whether or not people think that paint protection (e.g. Xpel) or interior protection is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Your dealer thinks it's worth it. I never bother but I generally get my car detailed regularly.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      07-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
It is worth it but I would not necessarily get it from the dealer. Get recommendations for local detailing shops. I have a car bra in the areas most prone to get rock chips and ceramic coating everywhere. Makes washing it a breeze. Also got the interior protection.
With ceramic coating, the protection lasts years, but the hydrophobic (beading) properties have to be refreshed about once a year, so factor that in.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
bav29
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i on order

I'm not taking any of the dealer services, will have a go at applying ceramic myself though (CQuartz seems to get the best diy reviews..)
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      07-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

I think it is absolutely worth it. I've had my X5 for a year now and the PPF has made it look as good as new. A few tiny "nicks" near the front edge of the hood but barely noticeable unless you are literally inches away with your face to see it. Those "nicks" are the film anyway as opposed to the actual paint surface.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
vonkobalus
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

It depends on the chosen color. Some BMW colors are EXTREMELY sensitive. I have Tanzanite Blue and OMG this color is soooo sensitive. When car arrived at the dealership it already had some micro scratches which initially weren't even noticeable. But because this color kinda "changes" color (or at least reflections) in dependence of the amount of sun or light, when the car was outside we noticed the micro scratches. So the dealership paid for initial polishing to make sure everything is perfect and then I immediately applied full ceramic coating at a professional shop. So just keep in mind ... some colors are really sensitive and in this cease the ceramic coating will make sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I’m not all that thrilled with the ceramic. It’s developed some scratches that would be quite easy to compound out with a standard wax finish but it’s my understanding you have to remove the ceramic before compounding.

I think it would be better just to get it polished and waxed every 3-6 months and would generally look better overall.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Dealer pricing on this is far higher than independents generally about 3 times and the dealer will slap it on in a rush with no preparation. It also depends how you use the vehicle as to what is appropriate, if you can keep it perfect condition then I'd pay for ceramic but if like me you do a high mileage pick up lots of tar etc then I take the view it's not worth paying a fortune and I get a decent machine polish and coatings once in a while around 18 montgs usually. I did get my dealer to do mine but it was for free as the final gesture to get the deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Dealers tend to over charge for said protection. Save lots of money if you are reasonably handy at detailing your car. I did my own with CQuartz 3.0. takes some time and patience. If you a bit afraid of diy then a auto detailer may be the way to go
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

If the paint protection they are selling is NOT a film don't but paint protection. The film does protect the paint as long as it is installed correctly, sounds like that is what is being offered by the dealer.

You may find it may not clear what the paint protection is (film or a sealant) some places are selling film and others sell sealants. The issue is if it is a liquid is they don't usually last that long, think months.

I have seen those synthetic sealants or wax formulas gone in one or two washes if somebody uses Dawn dish soap or similar. Soaps that are not PH neutral will take off any wax or synthetic sealants paint protection in just a few washes or even a single wash.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

I think PPF is definitely worth it if you plan on keeping the vehicle a while and especially if minor imperfections on the paint drive you crazy (like they do me, lol). I just had my new X5 M50i fully wrapped in STEK PPF and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
I think its not worth it. But i do think ceramic coating is. Makes cleaning and maintaining really that much easier.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #13
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i XDrive

I wouldn't recommend you go with the dealer's as from my experience is way over priced, and you have no idea who is doing it (they normally get the normal car cleaners, that do the lot cars, to do it) and how they're doing it.

The thing with this is, the paint needs to be close to perfect, for it to be applied properly to have a lasting effect.

Proper way to do it is first to do a proper car valet, with Iron X remover, clay bar, polish out the swirl marks you WILL get from a car thats been prepped by a dealer (that you never notice when you pick it up because they have waxed the hell out of it - and only shows after 2-3 downpours of rain), then once that is all done, apply the Ceramic coating.

I highly doubt that is what happens from dealer supplied solutions (unless they contract it out)

I have tried all kinds, and would swear by PPF (paint protection film) - and would never buy a new car and not have that applied.

Minor stone chips, no matter how small, bug the living daylights out of me, so the only solution is PPF, which is mightily impressive at protecting the car (I testify to that after being hit by pebbles on the windscreen of my porsche, ripping a hole in the PPF but leaving the glass unscathed)

Suffice to say, the G06 on order is already booked in for full PPF a couple of days after being picked up (and the full detail before hand of course)

Ordered: 2024 BMW M240i XDrive
Current: 2020 BMW X6 Xdrive40i M Sport
Previous: 2020 Porsche Cayman S
Previous: 2017 BMW X6 Xdrive40d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #14
justus4
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

I'm not gonna comment on whether paint protection is worth it but if you decide to get one, either PPF or ceramic coating, MAKE SURE the shop knows how to paint correct first!
I had a horrible experience with my M4 where not only did the person fail to correct the swirls from factory, he also introduced a ton of holograms to the car. When I picked it up, it was all nice and shiny as with all the cars in the shop. Put it under the sun, the holograms revealed themselves. This is coming from an "official" Ceramic Pro installer with 4.7 star reviews on Google. Anyone can make a car shiny, but paint correction takes real skills and experience. I ended up going back to the place twice to fix it and I just gave up in the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:16 AM   #15
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

I have an appointment for a full ceramic coating (body, wheels and brakes) on 28th of July. It will take 3 days to complete. I will post some before and after pics. (Arranged the new 2 series gran coupe as loaner.)

My car is an arctic grey X5 45e. Was hoping it would 'hide' dirt more.
The rear of the car is a real dirt magnet. The ceramic coat should make the car easier to clean and hold of dirt a bit longer.

I was also told that the X5 paint is not that high quality and that the ceramic coat protects the fragile paint a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

If you're leasing the car, then no, since you're simply going to return it. If you're purchasing the car, then 100% yes, if you care about things such as rock chips. On a dark colored car, they are a pain to see (at least for me). But like everyone else is saying, get PPF installed at a local shop that has extensive experience, and one that preferably uses pre-cut film.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #17
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

if you're going to do film instruct the dealer to NOT prep the car. they will cause issues that will only have to be corrected anyway when the car gets the PPF done. let the detailer who's doing the job prep the car.

I never let the dealer prep a new car, and certainly don't let them wash it when it goes in for service.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #18
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
if you're going to do film instruct the dealer to NOT prep the car. they will cause issues that will only have to be corrected anyway when the car gets the PPF done. let the detailer who's doing the job prep the car.

I never let the dealer prep a new car, and certainly don't let them wash it when it goes in for service.
Ok, I'm convinced. I'll go with a near full Xpel wrap.

Any recommendations on windshield protection?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #19
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I would never own our lease a car without expel, 3M or similar PPF on the front end (at least). After having living with paint chips for decades, having it on my cars for the last 14 years has changed my life. I can drive without freaking out every time I hear a rock hitting my car. That’s worth the price right there.

As for interior protection, it depends on the interior and what you do in the car. If you track mud and filth in the car from outdoor activities or if you are not gentle with the seats ( throwing luggage on them, having kids jump around with shoes on them, etc.) it may be worth adding protection. Otherwise, probably not. Leather is tough.

Last edited by JonnyCrash; 07-10-2020 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 12:40 AM   #20
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I would never have BMW do the protection as the GuardX they use in the U.K. is rubbish and usually applied by some random minion.

However I’ve had my Arctic Grey/Ivory White M50i professionally detailed and ceramic coated with Gtechnique and it’s well worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #21
tts266
Rep
Drives: Lexus GSF, Mercedes E350

I had suntek clearbra on my previous gsf and even got it replaced after hail damage through insurance when I needed new bumper and hood. I hear the x5 paint is quite weak so I am having ppf xpel ultimate being installed full front at the moment. I will ceramic coat the rest of the car once it comes back. I like to detail and wash my car and hate seeing rockchips get through the paint so ppf is worth my reduced stress.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #22
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5 40i mSport

I think it is absolutely worth it for any enthusiast. That said, at most dealers it’s a rip off (what you pay for what you get isn’t worth it).

Instead I strongly recommend using a professional detailing service and consider services that use well established products like Ceramic Pro or the like. In a price comparison (Canadian) the dealer charges for a paint sealant service (inferior) for $1500 tax included. Where a local detail shop offers a ceramic pro gold package (superior) for $1140 tax in.

As you can tell the dealer is charging more for less.

So is paint protection worth it? Yes from a reputable detailing service provider. No, if it’s done and paid to the dealer.

Last edited by Jwong; 07-11-2020 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0