BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

BMW’s Digital Dash vs Others

I’ll be brutally honest: BMW’s digital dash or instrument cluster leaves a lot to be desired, especially when you compare it to Audi’s Virtual Cockpit 2 or Mercedes’ MBUX system. It’s rather pathetic.

I actually don’t even understand why they even went full digital to begin with since there’s nothing you can really change that warrants a full digital display. They should have just left it primarily analog with a tiny center digital screen; it would have achieved the same functionality.

The first YouTube video was from 2016 and even then it offered more customization than what is available now in BMW (which says a lot). The second video is Mercedes’ latest MBUX system.

Audi’s latest Virtual Cockpit 2 is fully customizable, allowing you to display tach and speedo info in numerous different forms. Moreover, the amount of additional information that can be displayed in the instrument cluster far exceeds what BMW can offer.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I fully agree. This has annoyed me from the beginning. Such a wasted opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
With regard to Audi, as a former 2018 Q7 owner, specifically with respect to their much-advertised, touted and promoted Virtual Cockpit display, let me just leave this right here:

Google Earth features will not be available after December 2020 for Model Year 2018 & prior vehicles. Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-19 vehicles.

You'll find this information buried about four layers deep in the menus on their Audi USA site under "Technology," in very fine print, in a long list of footnotes. Most, if not all, owners who purchased newly-designed 2017/2018/2019 models with the flashy new Virtual Cockpit in the redesigned Audis across the product line were unaware of this information. Dealerships promoted, and still promote, the wonderful graphics of the VC - a significant part of which will become unavailable to you, pre-2020 Audi owner, after December 2020. And corporate VAG understandably made no such information available to owners, other than where you might find it, randomly and by chance, on their site. No announcement, no letter to owners, no "so sorry, here's an explanation," no "we'll fix it." The sound of crickets from VAG.

In other words, if you purchased your brand-new Audi within the last couple of years, pre-2020 multi-screen interior Disney golly-wow entertainment system, you may find yourself without connected services after 2021. It will just disappear. And Audi will claim no responsibility, because they have clearly advised you, above. You will certainly find yourself without the flashy Google Earth cockpit display after this December - the display you presumably purchased with your car. Hence my return to BMW. Not exclusively because of a gee-whiz, not really critically functional map display with pretty colors, but because of the unmistakable dissembling - to be generously kind - of Audi, hot on the heels of their Dieselgate debacle. There's absolutely nothing in VAG or Audi's corporate business model that makes me believe they wouldn't do the same or similar again with anything digital they produce, should I be foolish enough to trust them not to. So no, I don't believe I would choose an Audi with the Virtual Cockpit display, version 2, 3, 10 or 100, over BMW's very functional display that they have not cunningly planned to remove from my car shortly post-purchase, unlike Audi. Not even pretty please with a cherry on top.

Last edited by Paladin1; 07-11-2020 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 4
Tenac4538.50
volodp196.50
Jmpascual687.50
      07-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #4
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I’ve not looked deeply at the Mercedes digital dash because I wasn’t interested in the product it was fitted to. I did take a look add the Audi digital dash, and it’s pretty nice. But I also found it distracting when displaying the large colour map and found that most of the customization was of stuff that has no real value to me. When I look at my instrument cluster there are a few things I need to see right away: speed, warnings, tach, engine temp, fuel. Everything else that it can slow me is handy, but should be in the background.

I find the BMW implementation to be just fine for a first go at a fully digital dash. It can change commit to differentiate modes, you can have different things show up in the middle, etc. Sure, it could be more customizable, but I like the fact that I know exactly where to look to find the data I’m looking for to continue driving safely. The gauges don’t move so I can see a mail that is mirrored on the map display right next to it.

So yeah, the Audi digital dash is more customizable and more colourful. But if it better? Depends on the driver, I guess.

What’s more important to me is the main infotainment screen: BMW has one of the best I’ve seen with the idrive software. I wish it was even more customizable and I wish you could make your own widgets for specific info, but at least you can have more than one thing on the giant screen at a time.

I think am the manufacturers wine benefit from hiring a large UI team though. None of them approaches my ideal of perfection.
Appreciate 5
sygazelle11345.50
TK - 421252.50
Paladin15556.00
thereef5101165.00
      07-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #5
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post

The first YouTube video was from 2016 and even then it offered more customization than what is available now in BMW (which says a lot). The second video is Mercedes’ latest MBUX system.

To be brutally honest, that Mercedes MBUX setup looks like someone stuck a 3-foot iPad on the Dash and said "done". It has to be one of the "coldest", unaccommodating dash setups I've ever seen. Just to make sure they shaft their buyers, they even make the HUD an "option" you need to order. It's those two things that make the current GLE easy to exclude from my list upfront.

At least the Audi has a driver focused instrument cluster setup that allows for some customisation, but I don't touch Audi's for two reasons: 1. everyone I know whose owned one has had serious reliability problems, and 2. If you want a Volkswagen, buy a VW, they use the same platform across ALL their main brands (Audi, VW, Skoda, even Porsche SUVs).

I love the "cockpit" like instrument cluster setup of the BMWs, you feel like the instruments are purposefully placed (angled at you) for easy reach, and after a few weeks behind the wheel it becomes an intuitive cockpit. The center info head-unit is perfectly placed and again angled at the driver, but not enough to make it unusable by the front passenger.

The instrument cluster in the BMWs is laid out well. I notice its very close to the F1 clusters that show speed and revs, which means the output is optically optimized for getting the information into your brain quickly.
Its not perfect, it has its issues - like the instrument cluster brightness issue - but for the moment its my favorite.
Appreciate 4
Paladin15556.00
TK - 421252.50
sygazelle11345.50
thereef5101165.00
      07-11-2020, 12:51 AM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Sorry you are not happy. You've got an amazing vehicle. If Audi and Mercedes are making your dash pathetic by comparison, that creates a bit of a dilemma for you.

For my tastes, the dash and screen combination gives me everything I want. Since I don't care to configure it anyway, the fact that I can't is no big deal. The dash happens to come with the vehicle I wanted.

Hopefully, you can live with it. The cost of switching is a high price to pay.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:53 AM   #7
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

My only gripe about the dash display is the centre navigation being very limited, google earth or something colour / street names would have been an improvement. Maybe it can be configured to show more detail, I don’t know because I don’t really play around with it

Last edited by Addbuyer; 07-11-2020 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 02:25 AM   #8
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I don't have need for such a a dash. I also don't like the looks of those Merc dashes. It's hasn't any soul anymore, to clean, cold, ... Like everything with a Merc

If I really wanted something like that I guess I'll go and play a racing or sci fi game on my Playstation
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11345.50
      07-11-2020, 02:48 AM   #9
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Cool

personally i think BMW got it spot on with this display and the less is more approach. customisation is more gimmick than anything else, pointless complication just so someone can sit behind the wheel endlessly tweaking and configuring pointless widgets to display what time the turtles woke up in the Galapagos, ffs.

at the end of the day, these are nothing more than tools to do a job, yes they're fancy and luxurious, but still a machine, in control by a human. less distractions in my opinion is a good thing.

all these extra gimmicks do is provide SP for manufacturers to peddle their products to those that fall for or have to have, because they need to consume and have the oneupmanship on the neighbours.
All in my opinion of course.
Appreciate 4
sygazelle11345.50
thereef5101165.00
OzJedi107.00
BigHunk269.50
      07-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #10
SeñorFeathers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 40i M-Sport

After a year and half of owning the X5, I agree that the digital dash is the most annoying design/feature of the vehicle. I am still not used to it and I am so glad I got the HUD so I don’t have to keep looking for my speed. I wish it had the same display option as the new X5m dash. In my opinion after owning an A4, the Audi digital cockpit is hands down the best in the industry.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:46 AM   #11
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Tbh I quite like it as the HUD is so good you can pretty much turn off the majority of the dash.

The Audi dash is the biggest gimmick. Yes it can be customised but having driven my mums TT a few times I find it’s just a cluttered distraction that makes you take your eyes off the road. I’ve had HUDs on my BMWs since 2015 and wouldn’t be without now. Vastly superior to any digital dash and the latest gen of HUD is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:57 AM   #12
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

I want to change my instrument cluster so it shows a large centrally-orientated tach.
Audi: sure, we have that.
Mercedes: of course.
BMW: what?

I want to reposition and customize my speedo and tach.
Audi: is that all?
Mercedes: yep...
BMW: ....

I want to display full navigation in the instrument cluster.
Audi: easy.
Mercedes: here you go.
BMW: *crickets*

Can I show more than one customizable feature on the instrument cluster at the same time?
Audi: why else would be build a digital dash?
Mercedes: the sky’s the limit.
BMW: leaves the room.

At the very least, they could have displayed the NON-ALTERABLE yet horrendously laid out tach and speedo differently. If you’re not going to allow us to change it, at least make it decent.

Last edited by Frenetic; 07-11-2020 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:02 AM   #13
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
id say its a damn sight more configurable than analogue gauges? you guys ever remember the 80's attempt at LCD Digital Dash's? Genuinely think if some of you had lived through that era you'd of imploded.

as is mentioned just make sure you get the HUD and everything will be ok in the world.
Audi and Merc aint without their problems trust me. don't even go there with JLR group. there's a reason why the G05 wins pretty much every test/review/shootout against all other SUV's.

See video link below for what you could of gotten ...
https://youtu.be/gH8orI8jdCA
Attached Images

Last edited by TK - 421; 07-11-2020 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2020, 06:10 AM   #14
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I find I don't really pay attention to what's in the dash anymore. I get all the info I need from the HUD. So it hasn't really bothered me at all. Also I feel the look of it goes well with the rest of the cabin. It's a very sophisticated, simple look - even if it is a bit sparse.

Perhaps if the HUD wasn't so good it would be a bigger deal for me.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 3
TK - 421252.50
sygazelle11345.50
X5 45e1090.50
      07-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #15
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

The BMW HUD is another thing that leaves a lot to be desired versus Audi and MB’s new system: it’s way more customizable. In fact, that might be worth a separate dedicated thread, but this is about the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #16
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I’m not sure what I would want my dash to do more than what it currently does?? I already have access to more information than I ever would want to use on my drivers display. Excessive adjustments for the sake of adjustments doesn’t impress me. It gets too fluffy like excessive/distracting welcome light shows when you unlock the car Audi seems to prioritize over actual driving ability of their latest vehicles.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-11-2020 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 5
Heavyd865.00
Paladin15556.00
sygazelle11345.50
OzJedi107.00
X5 45e1090.50
      07-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #17
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
so someone can sit behind the wheel endlessly tweaking and configuring pointless widgets to display what time the turtles woke up in the Galapagos, ffs.
Appreciate 3
Sdupp14.00
Paladin15556.00
sygazelle11345.50
      07-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #18
OSCORP
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i

One of the many things i really dislike about MB its that cartoonish dash, and for me it does not look integrated with the car interior. theres no organic flow.
Coming from 2 Audi, i have never change anything in my virtual cockpit, and always use waze for maps.
After deciding to buy my first BMW, i fall in love with they're digital dash, very mature and on point, and still looks well integrated in the front dashboard, its the only one thats really different, also the tach and speed gauges go where they should flow, always from the bottom to the top, and not rounded like everyone else that goes from the bottom and down again. Just my perspective.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      07-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
personally i think BMW got it spot on with this display and the less is more approach. customisation is more gimmick than anything else, pointless complication just so someone can sit behind the wheel endlessly tweaking and configuring pointless widgets to display what time the turtles woke up in the Galapagos, ffs.

at the end of the day, these are nothing more than tools to do a job, yes they're fancy and luxurious, but still a machine, in control by a human. less distractions in my opinion is a good thing.

all these extra gimmicks do is provide SP for manufacturers to peddle their products to those that fall for or have to have, because they need to consume and have the oneupmanship on the neighbours.
All in my opinion of course.
100%. I can appreciate the less is more approach, because BMW is all about driving dynamics... less focus on having 1000 things on your elongated iPad for a dash. I have no doubt that BMW is capable of producing a digital cockpit as advanced as those of MB and Audi, but I think they're putting most of their resources to driving dynamics. That's why BMW consistently outperforms its competitors in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #20
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
100%. I can appreciate the less is more approach, because BMW is all about driving dynamics... less focus on having 1000 things on your elongated iPad for a dash. I have no doubt that BMW is capable of producing a digital cockpit as advanced as those of MB and Audi, but I think they're putting most of their resources to driving dynamics. That's why BMW consistently outperforms its competitors in this regard.
I appreciate this argument, but come on, are you saying a company like BMW is NOT capable of providing good driving dynamics and a decent instrument cluster at the same time? That’s just an excuse if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #21
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I appreciate this argument, but come on, are you saying a company like BMW is NOT capable of providing good driving dynamics and a decent instrument cluster at the same time? That’s just an excuse if you ask me.
Haha no BMW is definitely capable... but maybe they choose to keep the instrument cluster more simple? A hectic cluster may detract from the driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #22
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I don't have much to say here that hasn't been said at all. I personally like BMW's implementation of the dashboard. I think the MB dash is just tacky, its just too busy. I don't need the giant google maps display like audi does on my dashboard, i just need directions to where I need to go on the HUD. And you can get just as big a google maps display on the infotainment cluster if you really want to show off how gorgeous that map looks.

What I really like is 'reduced mode'. i love how it takes out all of the clutter and just gives a very soothing display. I switch to it constantly at night.
Appreciate 0