BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2019, 02:01 AM   #1
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Digital Key Problems

I managed to get the digital key set up and working. It is great, so I brought the digital key for5 to share one with my wife (previously we had just used the same log in on the app but this would not let her start the car).

So I added my vehicle to her account, which removed it from mine and put the digital keys into emergency use mode. Naturally I then re added the car to my account and removed all digital keys for the vehicle meaning to re add them.

Now I have a message in the app which says the keys have been removed and my keys for 5 have a "valid until" date of 1 Jan 1. Reseting the digital keys from the car hasnt worked nor has having my dealer re add them at his end.

The app is also prompting me to purchase the keys for5 but when I go onto the web link it shows as already booked for my account.

Finally the app gets updates every 12 hours or so saying I have sucessfully purchased keys for 5 but doesnt show them.

Now I have no digital key. The usual uninstall and re install as well as wipe all data from the app has not worked.

Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
nyfinest25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
I managed to get the digital key set up and working. It is great, so I brought the digital key for5 to share one with my wife (previously we had just used the same log in on the app but this would not let her start the car).

So I added my vehicle to her account, which removed it from mine and put the digital keys into emergency use mode. Naturally I then re added the car to my account and removed all digital keys for the vehicle meaning to re add them.

Now I have a message in the app which says the keys have been removed and my keys for 5 have a "valid until" date of 1 Jan 1. Reseting the digital keys from the car hasnt worked nor has having my dealer re add them at his end.

The app is also prompting me to purchase the keys for5 but when I go onto the web link it shows as already booked for my account.

Finally the app gets updates every 12 hours or so saying I have sucessfully purchased keys for 5 but doesnt show them.

Now I have no digital key. The usual uninstall and re install as well as wipe all data from the app has not worked.

Are you using iPhone or Android
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfinest25 View Post
Quote:

Are you using iPhone or Android
android. samsung note 8. i know iphone does not work as yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
notanaudi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

What does the phone have to do with the little black card working. Doesn't the card work to open and start the car
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanaudi View Post
What does the phone have to do with the little black card working. Doesn't the card work to open and start the car
The key card is different to the phone. Some Samsung phones with NFC can be used in lieu of a key card and digital keys can be shared. Apparently iPhones will be able to be used soon as well once Apple updates their security policy.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The key card is different to the phone. Some Samsung phones with NFC can be used in lieu of a key card and digital keys can be shared. Apparently iPhones will be able to be used soon as well once Apple updates their security policy.
pretty sure they need a physical secure element to function. I have the digital key working on my S10+ but couldn't get it to work on your S9+ or Note 8.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
pretty sure they need a physical secure element to function. I have the digital key working on my S10+ but couldn't get it to work on your S9+ or Note 8.
I can confirm it does work on the Note 8. I had it working.

BMW included the Note 8 as one of the phone it works with on its website.

My problem is I removed it and now cannot re add it.

It also worked on my wifes Samsung S9 as well until I elected to remove all keys in the stuff up I described in the OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It also worked on my wifes Samsung S9 as well until I elected to remove all keys in the stuff up I described in the OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That sucks, maybe your dealer needs to reactivate it on their end?
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah. They have tried about 4 times with no luck. I think it might be a bug with the server the app connects to. The key for5 shows a valid date to 1 Jan 1. So I think it m8ght be telling the app everything has expired, which explains why it is giving me an in app option to purchase the key for5 again.

At least this is my current theory....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 05:43 AM   #11
Zethii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:

I'm having exactly the same problem... Is your digital key working again? What was the solution? I really like to have my key again..

Thanks in advance!
T
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #12
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Mine is working. My case was escalated and it took about three weeks to resolve. Does your app show an expiry date for the digital key (not key for 5) and is that a future date?

What is actually showing up on the app? i.e. registered, install or activate or none of those options?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #13
Zethii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes it does show an expiry date in 2020. After registration it shows a red X at installation and states "installation not possible"...
On my wife's phone installation of the key is without problems..

BMW Germany seems to have big difficulties resolving my problem.. It takes three months already...

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #14
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethii View Post
Yes it does show an expiry date in 2020. After registration it shows a red X at installation and states "installation not possible"...
On my wife's phone installation of the key is without problems..

BMW Germany seems to have big difficulties resolving my problem.. It takes three months already...

Thanks for your help!
So you have the key installed on your wife's phone? I guess you are using the same userid for the app on both phones?

If so, you can only install the key on one phone at a time. To have it on more than one phone, you must purchase digital key for 5. That lets yiu share up to 5 keys. Each key requires a different userid on the app. You cannot add the vehicle to the new userid without removing it from the one on your wifes phone.

I understand BMW can create a sub account so that the 2nd userid is linked to the main id, which then gives the 2nd person some limited access to the vehicle through the app. I have never done this but read about it somewhere on this forum recently. I understand this has to be done by BMW itself and cannot be done through the app.

If you want to set your phone as the master you will need to remove the key from your wifes phone first and then from her profile in the car. Go i to the app and hit the 3 dot menu button in top right corner and select remove. Once removed you should be able to install it on your phone (it may need you to uninstall and then reinstall the app first or wipe all data in the app info option on your phone).

I hope this helps. Let me know how you go, particularly if you add the 2nd user account to the master account. I would like to know what options are then available.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:31 AM   #15
Zethii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for your help. I do know about one key per account and have been removing the app on all other devices.. Still it works on my wife's phone and it doesn't in mine... Something is crooked up on my phone I think.. Factory reset didn't help either.. I'll once again install the key on my wife's phone and try installing a second key on mine... Maybe that's better.. I'll report...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:43 AM   #16
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The red cross on the install step you mentioned means the certificate for that key is registered as being installed on another device. I dare say it is registered on your wife's phone and that is why it is not installing on yours. Good luck. It can be very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I'm having the same issues guys.
I had a Samsung s8 when I bought the car in Feb this year, installed the Digital Key with the dealer, it was working perfectly for 4-months, all was good.
Changed phones about 2-months ago to a s10.
Deleted the Digital Key from my old s8, contacted dealer to reinstate the Digital Key process and get the digital certificate loaded onto my new phone, doesn't work. I get the error message: "No Digital Key Usage possible".
I've deleted the App from my phone, reinstalled (..etc..etc), still nothing - VERY FRUSTRATING.
It must be a bug in their Connected Drive servers....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #18
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Do you still have your old phone? if so log in on that and see what it says about the digital key. hopefully it should give a red cross at the install step. once mine dis that I moved to the new phone and could suddenly install.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:30 AM   #19
Zethii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The red cross on the install step you mentioned means the certificate for that key is registered as being installed on another device. I dare say it is registered on your wife's phone and that is why it is not installing on yours. Good luck. It can be very frustrating.
I think you are absolutely right there, however I did uninstall the key on my wife's phone entirely..

Next problem is that activation in the car doesn't seem to work anymore since update to 07/2019.39 software was installed.. Has anybody been able to activate a key in the car with software 07/2019.xx?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 04:04 AM   #20
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethii View Post
I think you are absolutely right there, however I did uninstall the key on my wife's phone entirely..

Next problem is that activation in the car doesn't seem to work anymore since update to 07/2019.39 software was installed.. Has anybody been able to activate a key in the car with software 07/2019.xx?
I've got 07/2019.39, and I'm speaking to my dealer tomorrow to get the process initiated again. I'll let you know ...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:29 AM   #21
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Good news, I've got my Digital Key working in my car with 07/2019.39 - ALL GOOD ! (for the record I'm using a Samsung s10)

=> I basically got my old phone, reinstalled ConnectedDrive App and logged in.
=> I then tried installing the Digital Key back on the old phone, and it FAILED – basically I was getting the same error as per my “new” phone.
=>I logged back out of my old phone, then deleted the ConnectedDrive App from the old phone.
=> Got the dealer to re-initiate the Digital Key for my car and my ConnectedDrive account.
=> I then logged back into ConnectedDrive on my new phone, and the Digital Key installed smoothly.

It's like I transferred the issue/problem to my "old" phone .. LOLLL

Anyways whatever, all working now.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:12 AM   #22
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

I got me G20 last week ( I know wrong forum but the application is the same) and when I try to go to the digital key in the Android app, it says phone is incompatible.
I am using Samsung S9 on Pie with latest updates; which is supposed to be on the phones supported (from what I read above even S8 is supported).

Any ideas how to solve/bypass (please do not refer me to dealer!!)
Appreciate 0