BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #45
MaCaY
X5 M50i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I did mine yesterday as well. Went different way. Used 1.5" construction grade clear 3M tape with 3M activator and put few SS #10 screws(don't use selftapers, they make to big hole in plastic. No washers or nuts needed. I had few body kits installed. I tried to remove it once on my 750i and it was almost impossible.
Attached Images

Last edited by MaCaY; 04-29-2020 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 11
Habsone73.50
LexxM31697.50
CMBX2346.00
radmjk238.00
Unit218.50
tvasica70.50
imyb52.00
Greg87611.00
g05mike12.00
      04-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #46
raindropm4
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindropm4 View Post
Done now just waiting for my kw coilovers for a nice clean drop
Nice, congrats on a job well done, looks great!

Anything to add to 914's review or installation instructions/tips?
Haha no sorry I hired a shop to install it
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #47
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCaY View Post
I did mine yesterday as well. Went different way. Used 1.5" construction grade clear 3M tape with 3M activator and put few SS #10 screws(don't use selftapers, they make to big hole in plastic. No washers or nuts needed. I had few body kits installed. I tried to remove it once on my 750i and it was almost impossible.
looks great.

Is that the ebay rear diffuser that comes in gloss black? I was wondering how is the fitment and paint quality?
      04-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #48
MaCaY
X5 M50i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Quote:
looks great.

Is that the ebay rear diffuser that comes in gloss black? I was wondering how is the fitment and paint quality?
Yes it is. Best 150$ I spent lol. I took a chance on it, my plan was to paint or wrap the OEM one in black since i wanted that inverted look in back but the fitment and quality is very good. I would definitely recommend it for that money.
I got the mirror caps as well but didnt use them. They were garbage. I got OEM X3M caps with rings.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #49
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Thanks for the info. I saw it but i wasn't sure if i wanted to take a chance on it. Typically taiwan made items tends to fit quite good compared to china.
      04-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #50
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Hey guys, just got done installing today. Shipping time from eBay was incredible, 4 days from date of sale to delivery (New York). Overall, my comments and opinions are in line with 914, MaCay and raindropm4... great value for the money, perfect fit and good looking. Although, lack of instructions and improper installation materials did prolong the install process.
Overall, I'd recommend 👍🏻
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
LexxM31697.50
MaCaY108.50
Unit218.50
      04-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #51
MaCaY
X5 M50i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
Hey guys, just got done installing today. Shipping time from eBay was incredible, 4 days from date of sale to delivery (New York). Overall, my comments and opinions are in line with 914, MaCay and raindropm4... great value for the money, perfect fit and good looking. Although, lack of instructions and improper installation materials did prolong the install process.
I see a lot NY guys on this forum. We need to do a G05 meet as soon this crazy time pass.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #52
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I see a lot NY guys on this forum. We need to do a G05 meet as soon this crazy time pass.
Absolutely. PM me sometime and we can exchange details and hopefully get some of the other guys on the forum on board. That would be awesome once the craziness subsides!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #53
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Quote:
Jack:

Looks really great. You have the same look I'm going for.
How much was the lip? Install it yourself?
Btw, where did you get the side Mirrors- I like!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #54
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Quote:
Absolutely. PM me sometime and we can exchange details and hopefully get some of the other guys on the forum on board. That would be awesome once the craziness subsides!
I'm in Ct. I'm down for this too.
When it warms up and 'Rona dies down.
👍
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #55
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted920 View Post
Quote:
Jack:

Thanks!
I did the install myself, about one hours time.
I had to purchase different screws and double sided 3m automotive backing tape.
With shipping, came out to $288-

And the mirrors are off an F85, they fit perfectly. You can get them for well under $100 off amazon or eBay.
Appreciate 1
MaCaY108.50
      04-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #56
MaCaY
X5 M50i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Jack:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jack:

Thanks!

And the mirrors are off an F85, they fit perfectly. You can get them for well under $100 off amazon or eBay.

You can also get F87 X3M mirrors but you have to change the outer ring as well. Set will run you around 500$ with painting. Im not sure if you have to change the ring for F85 mirrors to fit. But as Jack said its way cheaper. I just liked the look a lil bit better with that agresive line on the mirror.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #57
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jack:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jack:

Thanks!

You can also get F87 X3M mirrors but you have to change the outer ring as well. Set will run you around 500$ with painting. Im not sure if you have to change the ring for F85 mirrors to fit. But as Jack said its way cheaper. I just liked the look a lil bit better with that agresive line on the mirror.
The F97 mirrors look good too! I prefer the simpler design of the F85 ones but then again, I got them before the F87/97s even hit the road. Regardless, gives the vehicle a subtle yet more unique appearance
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:49 AM   #58
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

I'm glad this thread helped at least a couple folks. All these rides looking great!

Thinking "maybe" I should have gone with "M" mirror caps like a few of you have. It looks really good. I installed M mirror caps on my 340 once, and hated them. It just didn't look right without flared M fenders.

On a G05 though?? It looks right.

Maybe once I get the wheels I want, and set the suspension the way I want, it will be "aggressive" enough for me to get some M mirror caps.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 03:09 AM   #59
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2024, Mustang MACH 1

Quote:
Would love to see the car also from different angles...looking good!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #60
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscross View Post
Quote:
Would love to see the car also from different angles...looking good!
Thanks Chris. Here are some pics prior to the front lip install. Polished and waxed the paint and snapped some pics afterwards. Carbon black on Tartufo.
Front lip definitely gives it a more aggressive look now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #61
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
MaCay, just realized you have the rear splitter installed as well. How do you like it and was installation easy enough? Thinking of getting that as well now to even the front and back out
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #62
MaCaY
X5 M50i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
MaCay, just realized you have the rear splitter installed as well. How do you like it and was installation easy enough? Thinking of getting that as well now to even the front and back out
It was easier then front. Like i said. I didnt use any bolts and nuts. Just few SS screws and 3m tape. Just make sure to use some alcohol like 90% to clean and degrees area. I used a heat gon as well before applying tape. The 3M clear construction grade tape is so strong that u really got one chance to position it. What i did i took of only like 1" of red backing on two ends , position spoiler and then pull the rest. That 1" was holding whole spoiler no problem in air.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #63
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was easier then front. Like i said. I didnt use any bolts and nuts. Just few SS screws and 3m tape. Just make sure to use some alcohol like 90% to clean and degrees area. I used a heat gon as well before applying tape. The 3M clear construction grade tape is so strong that u really got one chance to position it. What i did i took of only like 1" of red backing on two ends , position spoiler and then pull the rest. That 1" was holding whole spoiler no problem in air.
Great, sounds easy enough. I took your advice with the SS screws and 3M tape on the front splitter, much easier then the nuts and bolts. I'll do the same with the rear.

One of my friends sent me this, didn't know they had a roof spoiler on offer as well. Don't know how it'd look or hold up over time:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233497963686
Appreciate 1
MaCaY108.50
      05-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #64
MaCaY
X5 M50i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Great, sounds easy enough. I took your advice with the SS screws and 3M tape on the front splitter, much easier then the nuts and bolts. I'll do the same with the rear.

One of my friends sent me this, didn't know they had a roof spoiler on offer as well. Don't know how it'd look or hold up over time:

Yes i know but its not my style. I think is a lil to much. Im looking more for trunk spoiler. But as of now not a lot options. A guy i know he got roof spoiler. Heres some pic.
Also they got side skirts. I think my fav piece of the kit but with ur car being black they kinda gonna disappear i think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #65
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes i know but its not my style. I think is a lil to much. Im looking more for trunk spoiler. But as of now not a lot options. A guy i know he got roof spoiler. Heres some pic.
Also they got side skirts. I think my fav piece of the kit but with ur car being black they kinda gonna disappear i think.
Yeah. The roof spoiler is hit or miss. And like you said, with carbon black I don't get the stand out effect like on yours for instance (which looks to be mineral white if I'm correct?).

I would eventually like to look into retrofitting an F95 rear bumper and muffler with the quad tips. I think that would look so much better then the fake ones now. Not sure if it's doable.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #66
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

For those who installed the lip with PPF on the bumper did you have to take some of the PPF out so the tape sticks directly to the bumper? I'm considering this and checked mine has PPF til far back under.