BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Rear Bumper Protection

I should be taking delivery of my X5 in about a week, and was wondering what people are using for passive protection for the rear bumper? On all my cars I use 'Parking Armor,' (see below) but the split tail gate will prevent me from using this.... I also don't have the tow hitch option, so I can't mount anything there either. Any suggestions?

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
I should be taking delivery of my X5 in about a week, and was wondering what people are using for passive protection for the rear bumper? On all my cars I use 'Parking Armor,' (see below) but the split tail gate will prevent me from using this.... I also don't have the tow hitch option, so I can't mount anything there either. Any suggestions?

Perhaps some xpel or 3m film? Won't help a big hit bit will prevent scratches and dings.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
littleump
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 40i

i find these days its the sides that take a pounding with carpark spaces so tight. always some idiot who opens car door onto someons or someone elderly who is oblivious to what theve just done nevermind the getting the child out the car seat!, if i see a car seat i move asap
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
You could get yourself one of these bumpers

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
VTENGR1052.50
Paladin15531.50
      07-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
bforbrian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgjoX6M2016 View Post
Perhaps some xpel or 3m film? Won't help a big hit bit will prevent scratches and dings.
Yeah my whole car will be wrapped in XPEL, including the rear bumper, but I wanted to protect against parking bumps which can create dents..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
bforbrian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleump View Post
i find these days its the sides that take a pounding with carpark spaces so tight. always some idiot who opens car door onto someons or someone elderly who is oblivious to what theve just done nevermind the getting the child out the car seat!, if i see a car seat i move asap
I hear you man! That's why I purposely park far away. Most Americans are lazy and want the spots closest to entrances
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleump View Post
When I lived in the UK, the carpark spaces were narrow compared to here in the US, my wife and I felt like we had to grease up in order to squeeze out of our car without hitting the adjacent car - yet, we saw very few door dings and it seemed people were considerate of other peoples cars. NOT so here in the US, its just like you described yet I see you're in the UK, hmmmm. I lived in Kent so maybe its different in the southeast, dunno but that was my experience and I appreciated it.
Over here we find ourselves parking in the north 40 yet as luck would have it, someone just had to, just had to go out of their way to park next to me just to show me I cannot protect my car in a public parking area and I bet they were somewhere in sight watching for when I came back to my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
When I lived in the UK, the carpark spaces were narrow compared to here in the US, my wife and I felt like we had to grease up in order to squeeze out of our car without hitting the adjacent car - yet, we saw very few door dings and it seemed people were considerate of other peoples cars. NOT so here in the US, its just like you described yet I see you're in the UK, hmmmm. I lived in Kent so maybe its different in the southeast, dunno but that was my experience and I appreciated it.
Over here we find ourselves parking in the north 40 yet as luck would have it, someone just had to, just had to go out of their way to park next to me just to show me I cannot protect my car in a public parking area and I bet they were somewhere in sight watching for when I came back to my car.
There's a theory that the more narrow the space, the less likely door dings will happen. The premise is two fold:
1) when there a narrow space, the door cannot fully extend, therefore the force of impact is reduced
2) psychologically when there's a narrow space the person getting out of the car will not swing the door open knowing it can't open fully. They will gently open and maybe "rest" the door on the adjacent car.

It seems most door dings happen when the adjacent car is just barely within the swing radius of the door. So the door is hitting the car at the end of it's swing, not the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
I should be taking delivery of my X5 in about a week, and was wondering what people are using for passive protection for the rear bumper?
People here are NOT using that. I haven't seen anything like that since moving out of the NYC area.

Unlike many states in the US, we have very narrow spaces here in my area. People are generally considerate but I've seen people wrap their front and rear bumpers with things like xpel. Dealers also like to preinstall that and upsell it to make more $$. It's not my thing and in the 12 years that I've lived here, it hasn't been an issue. If I lived in NYC I might have a different view but you're also talking to someone who doesn't buy a nice phone to wrap it up in a bulky case.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #10
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

I have the superbumper. It cant withstand up to 30 MPH impact with attenuators.

Specifications
Length: 20″ Height: 6″
Material: Steel
Thickness: 3/8″
Weight: Approximately 20 lbs. – Supports 3,300 lbs static weight.
Capability: Stops 1 ton @ 4.34 mph (without you feeling anything) – Withstands 15-20 mph impacts.

For the front bumper:

Last edited by edtreo; 07-09-2020 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0