BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

360 camera distorted view

I have recently noticed issue with my 360 camera, looks like right wing camera is off and produce screwed image.

I took it to BMW, they checked and rid me off saying "it's mean to be not precise". I maybe would believe but I remember it was working fine, producing nice aligned picture.

I don't see any visible changes to wing mirror or camera so can't say why it is doing it now.

I attach pics and video how does it look.

Any suggestions what to do now?

Attached Images

07-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Suggestions are in the thread from just a couple of days ago: Distorted/Rotated SurroundView Camera - Resolved!.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Ahhh I was just going to say its clearly the one parking!!!! lol But kkratochivil solved it first.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Suggestions are in the thread from just a couple of days ago: Distorted/Rotated SurroundView Camera - Resolved!.
Great, thanks for info!
Looks like there are some issues with fitment for those cameras!

Last edited by pavloPL; 07-09-2020 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

When I picked up my car at the PCD all the cameras were distorted. The PCD fixed it via a software update. So for my case it wasn't hardware related at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:51 AM   #6
RayoVac
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
When I picked up my car at the PCD all the cameras were distorted. The PCD fixed it via a software update. So for my case it wasn't hardware related at all.
Kind of my thought as well. Read lots of posts where folks had them monkey with all kinds of stuff, but in the end a software update and then maybe some time passes and magic, its correct again.

I know in my case.. it was perfect. Then my drivers side is askew, I know for a fact my mirror was not hit, changed in anyway. The lens is tight and does not rotate or move at all. So I think something in the rendering engine gets screwed up.

I will say this. In my case I noticed it being skewed just after about the same time I changed my grill to a black one. At first I had a AutoTechnik grill that had a bad mold for the camera that caused it to sit crooked. I ran it that way for a week or so, then ordered a BMW OEM grill. Its straight now but my drivers door image is skewed. So is it possible there is some self-calibration happening that utilizes what the front/rear camera sees? Question is if yes, I would have thought it would eventually fix itself after getting the camera back in properly (the front one).

Makes me want to go out and unplug that front camera and mess around with the car on/off without it, put it back in etc. To see if the lack of seeing that camera in circuit, then coming back causes anything to happen (ya know wishful thinking of some self-calibration thing taking place).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
RayoVac
Private
United_States
Rep

I just wanted to report back to this thread. I had the issue where my drivers side mirror camera would show a skewed view. It had not always been like that, just started to notice it a few weeks back. Anyway I went to the dealer for oil change and complained that carplay disconnected a lot (which it doesn't) and about the mirror camera to try and get update from my 07/2019.55 to 07/2020.25. I specifically told them I had read about folks getting an update and it magically fixing the camera view.

So I got the car back and have 07/2020.25 and immediately noticed my my 3D view is fixed, its rendering properly again. Also note... ALL they did was the update. They did not mess with the mirror itself, the camera or run any re-calibration type stuff.

For whatever it's worth, hope others might be as lucky.
Appreciate 2