BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

UK: Build to delivery duration during Covid

All,

I'm patiently awaiting my X5 40d which started build on 18th June.

Anyone had a UK delivery recently following the plant shut down? If so, how long was delivery from the build date?

Trying to coordinate my current car hand back to roughly overlap with delivery.

Thanks
MP
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

You shouldn’t be too delayed mate. I ordered mine in Jan for May delivery then lockdown happened. Car shipped fine from the States but was held in U.K. port for 5 weeks due to no transporters (ironically first car in ten years that arrived early). Had my car inside a week of dealers reopening.

Now that U.K. is open on all fronts I doubt you’ll see any delay on what your dealer is forecasting unless there are issues at plant in Spartanburg.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
You shouldn’t be too delayed mate. I ordered mine in Jan for May delivery then lockdown happened. Car shipped fine from the States but was held in U.K. port for 5 weeks due to no transporters (ironically first car in ten years that arrived early). Had my car inside a week of dealers reopening.

Now that U.K. is open on all fronts I doubt you’ll see any delay on what your dealer is forecasting unless there are issues at plant in Spartanburg.
Getting updates from the dealer has been like pissing glass. I don't think they really know what the situation is. They can't tell me whether it's August or September right now
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i XDrive

I ordered my G06 on 14th March, as of 8th July its on 5300 Pre Assembly Start.

The system says its
Production week 28-07-2020 (Production week 28, Month July)
Expected week 35-08-2020 (Production week 35, Month August)

They're expecting delivery in 3rd/4th week of August so I wont be picking it up till after 1st Sepetmber rolls round, but thats the expected timeline.

Hope that helps.

Ordered: 2024 BMW M240i XDrive
Current: 2020 BMW X6 Xdrive40i M Sport
Previous: 2020 Porsche Cayman S
Previous: 2017 BMW X6 Xdrive40d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Getting updates from the dealer has been like pissing glass. I don't think they really know what the situation is. They can't tell me whether it's August or September right now
Go on the Live Chat on BMW UK mate (don’t be put off by the 3 series marketing on it). Was the one thing that kept me sane during my wait with dealers being closed as they will give you regular updates. Plus your dealer *should* be able to at least tell you what stage your car is at.

I was talking to my dealer yesterday buying a 5 series for my folks and they said German built cars are an issue but the US ones don’t seem to have been affected yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Yep use the web chat facility which pops up when you start to configure a build online. It doesn't work on mobile devices so you need to use a computer. You need your order number or vin number which your dealer can give you and ask for a update on the status of your order... production status code. Once production starts it only takes one day for the body to be built and painted and next day goes down the assembly line. Once it leaves the factory it usually gets to Charlestown the same day and then will be on the next ship there are about 3 per week. Ships take different times to reach Bremerhaven depending on how many stops they make. It will be offloaded in Bremerhaven and will then ship 2 or 3 days later to Southampton. Status can change several times during a day so keep pestering the genius web chat team. You can track the ships too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
Yep use the web chat facility which pops up when you start to configure a build online. It doesn't work on mobile devices so you need to use a computer. You need your orfer number or vin number which your dealer can give you and ask for a update on the status of your order... production status code. Once production starts it only takes one day for the body to be built and painted and next day goes down the assembly line. Once it leaves the factory it usually gets to Charlestown the same day and then will be on the next ship there are about 3 per week. Shoos take different times to reach Bremerhaven depending on how many stops they make. It will be offloaded in Bremerhaven and will then ship 2 orc3 days later to Southampton. Status can change several times during a day so keep pestering the genius web chat team. You can track the ships too.
Quote:
Quote:
Go on the Live Chat on BMW UK mate (don't be put off by the 3 series marketing on it). Was the one thing that kept me sane during my wait with dealers being closed as they will give you regular updates. Plus your dealer *should* be able to at least tell you what stage your car is at.

I was talking to my dealer yesterday buying a 5 series for my folks and they said German built cars are an issue but the US ones don't seem to have been affected yet.
Quote:
Yep use the web chat facility which pops up when you start to configure a build online. It doesn't work on mobile devices so you need to use a computer. You need your orfer number or vin number which your dealer can give you and ask for a update on the status of your order... production status code. Once production starts it only takes one day for the body to be built and painted and next day goes down the assembly line. Once it leaves the factory it usually gets to Charlestown the same day and then will be on the next ship there are about 3 per week. Shoos take different times to reach Bremerhaven depending on how many stops they make. It will be offloaded in Bremerhaven and will then ship 2 orc3 days later to Southampton. Status can change several times during a day so keep pestering the genius web chat team. You can track the ships too.

My dealer isn't giving me our vin or order number as the genius service is overwhelmed at the moment
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
That's a poor show! Which dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:11 AM   #9
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's a poor show! Which dealer?
Edinburgh. It's unusual as we've had a number of cars there over the years, so it may just be Covid related.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:43 AM   #10
jimbg
Private
Rep
Drives: LR Discovery 5

Quote:
My dealer isn't giving me our vin or order number as the genius service is overwhelmed at the moment
It does not need a genius but access to their order/admin person!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:49 AM   #11
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is frankly bollocks and the worst excuse I've heard in a while from a dealer. The Genius isn't overwhelmed at all. Was fine when I was awaiting my X5 and also tracking my folks 5 series order for them this way too.

I don't mean to worry you mate but not giving you a provisional delivery date or an order number, not being able to give you an update from their own system and saying don't use the online Genius suggests to me they are hiding something and maybe don't have an allocated build slot.

There is no reason why they can't provide the info to you (btw your order number should also be on your confirmation paperwork).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:55 AM   #12
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is frankly bollocks and the worst excuse I've heard in a while from a dealer. The Genius isn't overwhelmed at all. Was fine when I was awaiting my X5 and also tracking my folks 5 series order for them this way too.

I don't mean to worry you mate but not giving you a provisional delivery date or an order number, not being able to give you an update from their own system and saying don't use the online Genius suggests to me they are hiding something and maybe don't have an allocated build slot.

There is no reason why they can't provide the info to you (btw your order number should also be on your confirmation paperwork).
I thought that until I got the automated BMW email saying the car is in the build phase. So Ive been using that date as a gauge of when I'm likely to receive it. Since then, silence...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:58 AM   #13
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I thought that until I got the automated BMW email saying the car is in the build phase. So Ive been using that date as a gauge of when I'm likely to receive it. Since then, silence...
Ah that's good mate. Try the genius anyway as they may be able to search your order using name, order date and dealer.

In the meantime put a rocket up your dealer as it's frankly disgraceful not giving you an order number when you're dropping £70k + with them ffs!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah that's good mate. Try the genius anyway as they may be able to search your order using name, order date and dealer.

In the meantime put a rocket up your dealer as it's frankly disgraceful not giving you an order number when you're dropping £70k + with them ffs!
Looking like the first week of September
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:07 AM   #15
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Looking like the first week of September
That's good mate. Not too long then!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #16
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I'm lusting a bit for the 40d! Wish it had been available back last September!