BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #67
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

What’s the relevance of Enron in this discussion? Is the implication that corporate malfeasance and bad work habits are limited to older generations? Think again, if so.
      12-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #68
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Enron was just used as an example of what could happen when there is an eDiscovery request or judicial hold over information that is tied to the company you're working for. If you've been doing personal stuff on corporate resources, your personal laundry is going to be aired out for all to see. vreihen16 brought this issue up and used Enron as an example. In those email archives are personal emails of employees that used the corporate systems. Just something for you all to think about especially if you're working in an industry which can be a subject of such investigations or has a archiving requirement.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410883.50
vreihen1614906.00
      12-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #69
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Seems the best course of action as an employer would be to allow sites, but monitor use. Then you could easily see who is lacking productivity and on FB all day and get rid of them.
This is doable in active directory that talks to your firewall.
It does more than just log the IP of the usage, or even the PC name, but the actual user account logged in at the time.
The firewall can run reports then that show content based on the individual should it be needed.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #70
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Enron was just used as an example of what could happen when there is an eDiscovery request or judicial hold over information that is tied to the company you're working for. If you've been doing personal stuff on corporate resources, your personal laundry is going to be aired out for all to see. vreihen16 brought this issue up and used Enron as an example. In those email archives are personal emails of employees that used the corporate systems. Just something for you all to think about especially if you're working in an industry which can be a subject of such investigations or has a archiving requirement.
I read the post before that one and perhaps mistook it as a generational point.
zx10guy5139.00
      12-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #71
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
This is doable in active directory that talks to your firewall.
It does more than just log the IP of the usage, or even the PC name, but the actual user account logged in at the time.
The firewall can run reports then that show content based on the individual should it be needed.

Seth
The tools available to track activity of what a user does on their terminal can get very specific. Having worked around various security projects, it's scary the kind of information that can be captured without even the user knowing it.

Last edited by zx10guy; 12-24-2019 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614906.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #72
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
The tools available to track activity of what a user does on their terminal can get very specific. Having worked around various security projects, it's scary the kind of information that can be captured without even the user knowing it.
Using deep packet inspection also essentially acts as a middle man to decrypt every encrypted packet going in or out. Many security people now do not recommend this practice due to potential vulnerabilities but with more and more traffic being encrypted, it’s still one of the better ways to determine if company or other sensitive data is being exfilled. Pretty much transparent to the user.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614906.00
      01-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #73
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm not even working today, but I'm watching every yt video officers are watching in their cruisers, reading every email they are sending and listening to both land AND cell calls

I have this port in the back of my skull
      01-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #74
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Our IT department installs a back-door access app onto every PC image for every computer they deploy across the company. it allows them, without the user knowing, to simply sit there and watch in real time what the user is doing while it logs what apps are open, how long they have been using them, what sites they browse, etc. We dont use it often but especially in cases of remote workers where we suspect they are screwing off instead of working, we can fire it up and see for ourselves.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      01-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #75
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I know it not apples to apples but I have employees too, it's very relaxed, productivity is high with some slacking so why change it?!? I couldn't care less what they do during or between projects, as long as it's getting done and done correctly.

For me I'm not buddies with my guys but we respect each other and work hard for the common goal to provide for our families (profit sharing) better I do better we do.

one of my guys called me, his mother in law is staying over for the holidays, PLEASE get me on a project!, but it's winter, what we have is slim I thought? I sent him 100 miles deep in the cape to take notes on a hotel project, he confirmed all our notes and details I needed for this bid.

Results: he kept busy not seeing his overbearing mother in law for a day, had a lobster roll for lunch AND giving me valuable notes, that's a WIN WIN

Likely conversation he had: Sorry honey, boss called, I need to drive out to the cape on a very important project, I can't join you and ur mom for site seeing the North End.
Appreciate 1
Merlin_83471.00
      01-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #76
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Results: he kept busy not seeing his overbearing mother in law for a day, had a lobster roll for lunch AND giving me valuable notes, that's a WIN WIN
Nominated for top-10 business in NE area
Appreciate 0