03-24-2024, 01:36 PM   #1
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F95 X5M

BMW Ace 3.0 Pro install on 2021 X5M Comp

Hi all,

I have not seen much around about to getting this installed the way that the dealership describes in the installation guide, which I tried but had difficulties and it is not fully reversible anyway, which I am not a fan of. Wanted to share my alternate install in case that someone is interested in routing to the back and installing to the rear fuse box, which is highly accessible and does not require major modifications.

I used the following:

1) Thinkware mini battery pack (it fits like a glove in the back)
2) Ace 3.0 Pro camera
3) Additional 20 gauge wire because the hardwiring kit that comes with the battery is not long enough.

Steps:

1) I installed the cameras in the same fashion as the dealer would
2) route all the wires to the back as dealer mentioned
3) remove battery cover, rear fuse cover and a few pins in the left liner to run wires under it
4) installed fuse tap into 205 with a 20 amp fuse. This fuse location is ACC with no delay. Used the ground located nearby below the fuse box
5) routed the camera power input cables behind the seat and under the rear lower liner
6) made 2 cuts on the liner (one for power input and one for power output). This is the only non-reversible part, but I rather replace this than the wiring harness if something goes wrong
7) out some adhesive Velcro (the rough part) under the battery and placed it on top of the liner. It will stick to the liner
8) installed the wires to the battery
9) reconnected battery

Now you have the same setup but with an external battery and without worrying that you will be compromising other components. I am attaching pics below. Hope this helps. It took me 2 weekends to figure all out and route all the wires. With all this, it will likely take you less than 3 hours if you are skilled enough.

I think some models require some programming. So, check with your dealer. But this saved me over $1,000 and the BMW guidelines say 2 hours shop time (some dealers are something else)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
-cj-199.00
      03-24-2024, 07:03 PM   #2
R///MG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC Frozen Pure Grey

Garage List
Thankfully, mine came factory installed. Mine doesn't have that box you placed in the tire well. I wonder if it's located somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 07:13 PM   #3
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R///MG View Post
Thankfully, mine came factory installed. Mine doesn't have that box you placed in the tire well. I wonder if it's located somewhere else.
Definitely not. Fun install but mostly for the lack of detailed instructions out there. The dealership, because I think that is probably a dealer installed accessory and not installed from the factory, installs it in a very peculiar way. They just connect to the fuse box ACC and positive terminal. When the car’s battery voltage gets to a certain low threshold, it turns off. With my install, with the black battery, I get about 17 hours plus the additional the car’s battery uses. I like my install better simply because you only tap into one place and ground and get more recording time. But I would have chosen getting it with my build if it had been an option. It has been sitting in my garage for over a year waiting to get installed 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:02 PM   #4
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Pretty slick install! Did you manage to tuck the wires under the headliner? When I installed my dashcam the headliner seemed glued and would budge. I had to settle for running alongside it.
      03-25-2024, 03:14 AM   #5
R///MG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC Frozen Pure Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torijona View Post
Definitely not. Fun install but mostly for the lack of detailed instructions out there. The dealership, because I think that is probably a dealer installed accessory and not installed from the factory, installs it in a very peculiar way. They just connect to the fuse box ACC and positive terminal. When the car’s battery voltage gets to a certain low threshold, it turns off. With my install, with the black battery, I get about 17 hours plus the additional the car’s battery uses. I like my install better simply because you only tap into one place and ground and get more recording time. But I would have chosen getting it with my build if it had been an option. It has been sitting in my garage for over a year waiting to get installed 😂
OK, so that's a battery backup for the system. Do you think with the LCI since it has a larger 48V battery that it gives the system a longer record time in park mode? On mine I haven't noticed it shutting off. It pretty much always tells me "Parking event triggered" which being in the garage overnight is me coming to my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:29 AM   #6
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Pretty slick install! Did you manage to tuck the wires under the headliner? When I installed my dashcam the headliner seemed glued and would budge. I had to settle for running alongside it.
By the windshield? That one needs a prying tool to lightly pry it and another one to push the cable in. When I was getting the cable for the rear camera, I did feel like I had to be careful as I have to pull it down some to find the hole to fish the wire through to the tailgate.
Appreciate 1
-cj-199.00
      03-25-2024, 07:35 AM   #7
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R///MG View Post
OK, so that's a battery backup for the system. Do you think with the LCI since it has a larger 48V battery that it gives the system a longer record time in park mode? On mine I haven't noticed it shutting off. It pretty much always tells me "Parking event triggered" which being in the garage overnight is me coming to my car.
You likely don’t need it. I just know that I will likely need to start parking the car outside because I currently have this one and a ZL1 1LE and I’ll have a Z06 in a year or so. I have a two-car garage and the X5 will be the one outside as I intend to keep the other two longer and I know I will not drive the x5 every day. My main thing was wanting a streamlined install and the battery pack just provided that; the extra battery time was just a perk.
Appreciate 0