03-18-2024, 09:37 PM   #287
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
he did say gas saving, not money saving

while running on electrons, one saves from using gas, but not necessarily money as we've heard from many Californians unless he does get to charge free somewhere like work (as you mentioned). curious, too...
Correct, that is why I asked. Wanted to see what his situation was.
      03-19-2024, 10:34 AM   #288
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

My updated thoughts on my 45e, fwiw.

Concerns (not necessarily regrets, but things which make it not optimal):
- Disappointed that HK audio wasn't available when I ordered mine (would have been equipped, but for component shortages). I feel like the default sound system is somewhat lacking.
- Very disappointed to learn that iDrive updates can fail and effectively brick the vehicle, and that BMW would not cover costs for this event is the vehicle is out of warranty. So no updates after the warranty period.
- Electric company "altered the deal" with power costs recently, to make solar significantly less viable for cost savings (effectively increased my annual cost for power by ~$2000/yr). That, in turn, makes EV power less cost effective for me also.
- DAP has been practically useless for me, with the overly sensitive eye-tracking software, although it seems somewhat better in the newest software update (03/2024.25, one attempt so far). In general, though, "smart" assistance systems are still too badly implemented to reduce stress in operation, for me.
- Massage seats are very underwhelming

FWIW, I'm still reasonably happy with the purchase, all things considered, even with the flaws and setbacks. I think I'd still pick by 45e over a 50e today, given the choice between the two (given the interior changes in the 50e, particularly the dashboard). If I had to buy new today, I wouldn't have a clear choice; BMW has declined with the current X5 design, but no other vehicle has improved enough to be clearly superior either.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:05 PM   #289
jonesy16
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530E xDrive, 2021 45e xD

Garage List
I've only had the 45e for a couple of weeks (2021) but loving it so far. However, I'm also the owner of a 530E I've had for about 50k miles. I find them both to be great drivers, the 45e is exceptionally better due to the added battery size over my 2018 5-series. The cars are just so darn quiet in electric mode, everybody comments on it. I find the power to be sufficient for around the town but being able to kick it into gas mode with the flick of a shifter levels the playing field with the gas siblings. They're a little weightier due to the battery and I haven't spent much time driving the gas-only versions to comment other than to say they do take a little more effort in the turns and that's where you feel the weight the most.

Very curious on the software update side though. My '21 45e is still on the 07/2022 update and it says there is nothing newer available ... what am I missing?!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:09 PM   #290
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy16 View Post
Very curious on the software update side though. My '21 45e is still on the 07/2022 update and it says there is nothing newer available ... what am I missing?!
Some vehicles don't get an update sent to them for some reason and many that do get them sent can't install them. BMW doesn't support updates on demand so checking for an update doesn't do anything unless BMW choose the vehicle to receive an update.
      03-19-2024, 07:03 PM   #291
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
My updated thoughts on my 45e, fwiw.

Concerns (not necessarily regrets, but things which make it not optimal):
- Disappointed that HK audio wasn't available when I ordered mine (would have been equipped, but for component shortages). I feel like the default sound system is somewhat lacking.
- Very disappointed to learn that iDrive updates can fail and effectively brick the vehicle, and that BMW would not cover costs for this event is the vehicle is out of warranty. So no updates after the warranty period.
- Electric company "altered the deal" with power costs recently, to make solar significantly less viable for cost savings (effectively increased my annual cost for power by ~$2000/yr). That, in turn, makes EV power less cost effective for me also.
- DAP has been practically useless for me, with the overly sensitive eye-tracking software, although it seems somewhat better in the newest software update (03/2024.25, one attempt so far). In general, though, "smart" assistance systems are still too badly implemented to reduce stress in operation, for me.
- Massage seats are very underwhelming

FWIW, I'm still reasonably happy with the purchase, all things considered, even with the flaws and setbacks. I think I'd still pick by 45e over a 50e today, given the choice between the two (given the interior changes in the 50e, particularly the dashboard). If I had to buy new today, I wouldn't have a clear choice; BMW has declined with the current X5 design, but no other vehicle has improved enough to be clearly superior either.
wow, the iddrive update bricking the car is new to me. thanks for the head up. I will be very careful with this.

As for solar PV in Cali, as long as you got in NEM2, it will be grandfather for 20 years. So unless you did something to void that contract, you should be OK, right? Last time I check, our Cali utiltiy companies havent gone to flat rate structure, yet.

I am kind of with you on DAP, it is getting weird. I am using it less and less these days.

Overall, I won't say I regret because of the deal in MY22. I easily paid $6500-$7000 less for 45e than 40i after Fed and CA incentive. If I have buy again in today's pricing structure, it will for sure be 40i.