BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2023, 04:37 PM   #45
Scientifix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
those options will still work. Because the car is on, if HVB demand charging, ICE will kick in. AC will be remain on.

Also, I want to point out, precondition become unavailable before the HVB gets to a point where ICE needs to kick in. So AC can be running when the car is on in hybrid mode (without ICE), but precondition isn't allowed already. I encountered this situation many times in last week road trip. it is actually a very easy case to encounter in a hot day (100F in south Cal), and driving in location traffic with AC running.
I see. So you are mainly trying to address the scenarios where the precondition option becomes unavailable, got it.
In that scenario if one puts the 45e in sport mode before getting out would the ICE and AC kick in and stay on?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 04:40 PM   #46
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
The point is, in X5, car off does NOT mean car does NOT roll. If the concern if car can roll when door is open, the possible solution should be door open => car in park. Not car off => car off.
The point is, this works for majority of cases.
Very few people put transmission to neutral nowadays. BMW can see from their data how often people do that. Probably for 99.9% of customers, it's "D" or "P".

They may still want to allow some cases like towing? I don't know for sure, but making it "unrollable" in all circumstances may have prevented some use case scenario like towing, or emergency rescue situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 05:02 PM   #47
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
The point is, this works for majority of cases.
Very few people put transmission to neutral nowadays. BMW can see from their data how often people do that. Probably for 99.9% of customers, it's "D" or "P".

They may still want to allow some cases like towing? I don't know for sure, but making it "unrollable" in all circumstances may have prevented some use case scenario like towing, or emergency rescue situation.
If you read the other read about car rolling, it isn't people intentionally put the car in neutral, and exit. It is accidental. For the same logic, no one plan to be run over by their car. It is also accidental.

So in order to solve a problem, 1st step is to identify the problem. And the problem statement is the concern of car rolling when driver exist, right? Again, the solution is to put the car in Park and maybe engage E-brake when door is opened? NOT to just turn off the car, and counting on the driver did NOT put the car in neutral. This nowhere a good solution to the problem you describe.

As for being towed, I got that. But again, BMW's choice isn't the solution to the problem if there is a concern people being run over by a roll-able car. Since being towed should be a rare event, taking 1 or 2 extra step to put the car in neutral should be totally acceptable. Other cars (BMW and other) has been doing it better for the longest Older cars have shift lock and let you get car in natural. Tesla has tow mode in manual, so user can go in and engage tow mode ... Many good ways. 45e's way, car off and leave car in neutral is far from it.
      08-02-2023, 05:35 PM   #48
BeaArthur
Rep
Drives: No Car ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi524TD View Post
Use the "condition now" option [mine pops up on iDrive screen when you get out of the 45e ... it'll keep AC running (even if you lock the doors) until you return.

BTW - WHY SPORT MODE 100% of the time? Maybe buying a PHEV was not the choice for you?
Don't currently have a charging option but that will change.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 02:10 AM   #49
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
So in order to solve a problem, 1st step is to identify the problem. And the problem statement is the concern of car rolling when driver exist, right? Again, the solution is to put the car in Park and maybe engage E-brake when door is opened? NOT to just turn off the car, and counting on the driver did NOT put the car in neutral. This nowhere a good solution to the problem you describe.
Just something to keep in mind: Sometimes people need the car to stay in N when opening the door, such as the car going on a car lift. Usually you would position the car close to the lift but not in its final position since you can't open the door then. Then put the car in N, get out and roll it into its final position. But maybe this could be adressed with an additional feature/option like a "car lift mode".
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 08:32 AM   #50
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
If you read the other read about car rolling, it isn't people intentionally put the car in neutral, and exit. It is accidental. For the same logic, no one plan to be run over by their car. It is also accidental.

As for being towed, I got that. But again, BMW's choice isn't the solution to the problem if there is a concern people being run over by a roll-able car. Since being towed should be a rare event, taking 1 or 2 extra step to put the car in neutral should be totally acceptable. Other cars (BMW and other) has been doing it better for the longest Older cars have shift lock and let you get car in natural. Tesla has tow mode in manual, so user can go in and engage tow mode ... Many good ways. 45e's way, car off and leave car in neutral is far from it.
This is one example of how drivers need to be active participants, as technology has advanced faster than our lifelong habits. The fault isn't with the vehicle in this case, it's with the driver. As has been pointed out, there are times you need the car to be in neutral, so the car should not prohibit that. It's the inadvertent act that could cause an unfortunate event.

My problem is adjusting to the joystick shifter instead of the conventional ones when it was much more obvious which gear I was in (I drove standard transmission cars most of my life). I haven't developed the habit of verifying that the car is in Park before getting out because the car takes care of it 99% of the time just by turning it off. And my 45e is so #$%! quiet I don't have those audible cues as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #51
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I am fine with car remain in neutral in this specific case. I always use e brake. I just don’t like how the car must be off when door open. It does not address someone’s concern about the car can roll and kill themselves. I just pointed out they are orthogonal issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 02:10 AM   #52
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

wonder if uncheck this option would do
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 03:07 AM   #53
BAO_72
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I do this all the time in Winter when battery is too low for precon either from sport mode or with the shifter to the left to start the ICE, parking brake on, shifter pops back to park, engine stays on until I return. Havent really tried it with passenger in car but pretty sure that works to, especially if key left in car. Its all described in the manual somewhere. Once ICE starts charging the heater /AC works
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 03:08 AM   #54
BAO_72
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Btw this is a 45e, maybe different with the newer software
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:29 AM   #55
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
wonder if uncheck this option would do
read my earlier post, last paragraph. while mine is the 45e, it's the same setting and behavior on the 50e
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=41
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 03:33 PM   #56
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I just want to be able to run back in the house real quick. It's in Park, door is open. But it turns off. So stupid.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 03:19 PM   #57
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
I just want to be able to run back in the house real quick. It's in Park, door is open. But it turns off. So stupid.
And, something comes up, and you're there for an hour? The phone rings, your wife asks you a question, your kid has an issue, you can't find what you went in for, etc. Then what?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 07:24 PM   #58
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
And, something comes up, and you're there for an hour? The phone rings, your wife asks you a question, your kid has an issue, you can't find what you went in for, etc. Then what?
That makes zero sense, since you can do the same thing with a 1970 car with a key. If you get out and leave it "on", that's on you.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      12-13-2023, 08:24 PM   #59
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Virtually every car in existence lets you exit with the car still on, including every other BMW I've owned, so I don't consider that a very good reason, either.
      12-13-2023, 09:26 PM   #60
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Virtually every car in existence lets you exit with the car still on, including every other BMW I've owned, so I don't consider that a very good reason, either.
Agreed as every car I've owned has allowed me to do so. From a BMW standpoint our 2017 X5 on iD6 did. My 2020 M850i does but the car will beep letting one know that the car is on but the drivers fob is no longer in the vehicle. Just tested the wife's LCI 40i and it lets me do the same. So it's got to be a PHEV "feature" of frustration.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 10:33 PM   #61
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
it doesn’t bother me. I lose virtually no time pressing the Start button once I get back inside the vehicle from a quick errand
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 10:52 PM   #62
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

With the PHEV's battery low, you might be in your closed garage. The engine is off...you go inside, and the engine turns on because the battery level dropped enough, so to me, at least, it does make sense to shut things off when you leave.

On my 2011 BMW, an ICE, unless the driver's seatbelt was connected, it would shut the engine off when the driver's door was opened, so that logic has been in BMWs for a long time, at least on some models. My 2014 i3 was the same way...open the driver's door with the belt off, it would shut down. So, all of my limited BMW sampling operated the same, whether ICE, EV, or PHEV. Liability and the risk of someone suing someone in the USA with the lowest ratio of people to lawyers also may be part of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 10:58 PM   #63
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Like I said many time. Even for 45e, if you can manage to get ice running at park or neutral, you can open driver door and car will remain on and ice will remain running. So bmw decide to somehow treat EV mode differently the ICE mode.

For me, it bothers me enough I bought a fake seat belt anchor, I insert into seat belt buckle when I need to run out to get things.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:17 AM   #64
thewils
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive45e

Have BMW ever been sued for "rollaway" incidents, especially in the US? If so, causing the drive motor to shut off might be a response to BMWs reluctance to be sued repeatedly or even being the recipient of a class-action.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:46 AM   #65
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewils View Post
Have BMW ever been sued for "rollaway" incidents, especially in the US? If so, causing the drive motor to shut off might be a response to BMWs reluctance to be sued repeatedly or even being the recipient of a class-action.
then why not all cars? why only the EV portion of the PHEV and maybe EV?
      12-14-2023, 12:59 AM   #66
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
then why not all cars? why only the EV portion of the PHEV and maybe EV?
As I said, my 2011 BMW 535i GT would shut off when the driver's door was opened, so that characteristic is not new to BMWs. So, my three types of BMW I've owned, ICE, EV, and PHEV have all operated the same exact way...open the driver's door without the seatbelt latched, they shut off. Why some appear to let the engine stay on and others don't, can't say.
Appreciate 0