BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-10-2022, 07:56 AM   #1
DrPartagas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Ventilated Front Seats

Compare and Contrast --- For those who purchased this option, do they make a significant improvement, minor improvement, or not much of a positive difference as you drive your vehicle? Some of you may have driven ventilated and non-ventilated seats in the past. Was the ventilated seat option worth it to you now that you have used it for a while or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 08:23 AM   #2
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

If you're coming from another brand where the seat is actually blowing full on A/C air at you (my comparator is a 981), this may be disappointing by comparison, but then again, it's not the same product. This is just ventilation by drawing air away from you, but it indeed gets the stated job done.

I've found it to be plenty useful for my purposes on warmer days or coming back from the gym to feel more comfortable, and my only gripe is how loud the blower is at the high (3) setting. I'd spec it again on a future build - massaging seats too, but it comes down to your use case.

Loads of folks don't like the light pressure of the air bladders in the massage seats, but again, for my use case (1200 mile road trips semi-regularly), it works great to reduce the shoulder strain during long driving stretches.
Appreciate 1
E91toG05342.50
      04-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #3
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I'd say minor but noticeable improvement. As stated above, not cold air as in other cars so it doesn't actively cool you but rather keeps you from becoming sweaty when sitting on the seats. I have the climate control rules set so they turn on low automatically at above 65 and it's a nice feature.

I don't think not having would keep me up at night, but I do appreciate the feature so I'm definitely glad we have.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

similar to Chas8283, i got it as part of some package, not a standalone option. both our F15 and G05 have it, and it works fine. its too loud on the highest setting (especially if you have acoustic glass) but fine at 2 or 1. it does work well in the summer or if you live in a humid area, especially if you're in a t-shirt or shorts after the gym or just out and about. Doesnt work so great under non breathable clothes. Nice to have, especially after the climate control rules are set up but it isn't a must have feature for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
these ventilated seats weren't as expected given they operate differently than my previous Audi Q7. I got around the difference, and these work as intended by pulling heat away from your body surface versus blowing cooled air onto your body surface (though I prefer the latter).

a helpful feature is the ability to simultaneously heat and cool which I use during long trips. heat keeps the muscles limber (even better with massage) while the ventilation pulls excess heat away.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post
If you're coming from another brand where the seat is actually blowing full on A/C air at you (my comparator is a 981), this may be disappointing by comparison, but then again, it's not the same product. This is just ventilation by drawing air away from you, but it indeed gets the stated job done.
I agree with this; it's not really overtly noticeable, but it can reduce the amount of accumulated heat and sweat, such that you stay dry and reasonably comfortable on longer/warmer trips (when you can notice as you get out of the vehicle). I would add that a lot of actively cooled seats are also disappointing (in terms of what you would think the effect should be vs what it actually is), and in practical effect ventilated is pretty similar in my experience.

I'd buy ventilated seats as an option, provided the price was reasonable personally (and did on my X5). It's not a must-have feature by any means, but it has tangible value to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #7
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I have them on my X3M and I like the feature but they don't hold a candle to the cooled seats in my Raptor. My wife didn't care so I skipped them on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 06:28 PM   #8
cosmopaul10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Like the others have stated, the ventilated seats are mild at best. They're more noticeable on longer trips, but for short trips on hot days I don't notice any difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

You'll find them more useful on longer trips, or in the summer as it can help to dry you off, or if you get damp. Leather by itself doesn't breath, so moving some air around you can really help.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 11:20 PM   #10
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

I had mine on for a 2 hour trip. I only knew it was on because of the noisy whirring sound. Not even sure why they even advertise it. It is horribad...
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      04-10-2022, 11:36 PM   #11
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

How much less comfortable are they compared to
Comfort seats without ventilation?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 11:48 PM   #12
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Drove our 45e home (Texas) from PCD this week. They worked as expected.
Appreciate 1
4ML INC65.50
      04-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The difference you'll notice is a long trip without them, you tend to get damp on the backsides. With them, you don't. You do not get a major perception change when you turn them on...it's a longer, much more gradual thing. Similar thing about the massaging seats...they are not a deep tissue massage designed to relieve stress...they're designed primarily to help prevent blood clots from sitting in one place for a long time.
Appreciate 1
1230vani652.50
      04-11-2022, 12:27 AM   #14
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

They're an absolute must for me and work just fine, albeit way too loud. Only can compare to Land Rover who had far better (150k miles over 3 Rovers and zero reliability issues, wish I could say the same with BMW, but I digress..).

We live in a dry climate but with intense sun. I have these set for anything over 60 degrees. Also use them in the winter with heat to dry off ski pants, etc. love them combined with the upper massaging seat using that even on shorter late night drives home.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 01:53 AM   #15
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchboxM1 View Post
They're an absolute must for me and work just fine, albeit way too loud. Only can compare to Land Rover who had far better (150k miles over 3 Rovers and zero reliability issues, wish I could say the same with BMW, but I digress..).

We live in a dry climate but with intense sun. I have these set for anything over 60 degrees. Also use them in the winter with heat to dry off ski pants, etc. love them combined with the upper massaging seat using that even on shorter late night drives home.
I'd like to know how you had three Land Rovers and no reliability issues I drove those things for 15 years everyone of them lived at the dealership where the BMW had zero faults you must've never take it in for service During those years I had three buybacks also all range rovers I had recently considered a defender till I was smart enough to watch the forms and boy did they have the buy backs still 15 years later I see nothing is changed
Appreciate 2
JC31674.00
volodp196.50
      04-11-2022, 04:21 AM   #16
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I have them on my X3M and I like the feature but they don't hold a candle to the cooled seats in my Raptor. My wife didn't care so I skipped them on the X5.
^^^ Exactly this ^^^

My Raptors ventilated seats are so much better then the wife's X5 that I don't bother using them in the X5 because all I can hear is the damn fan motor running in the seat with no noticeable difference whatsoever.

Nice choice of truck btw
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #17
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ103 View Post
^^^ Exactly this ^^^

My Raptors ventilated seats are so much better then the wife's X5 that I don't bother using them in the X5 because all I can hear is the damn fan motor running in the seat with no noticeable difference whatsoever.

Nice choice of truck btw
The A/C seats in my F-150 are pretty great. We went with the Coffee merino leather so I'm hoping these seats are helpful.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #18
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

I heard that the ventilated seats were less comfortable than without….and it makes sense given that for the air channels to remain open the seat bottom would have to be a bit firmer. When I sat them side by side I couldn’t tell that big a difference but most of the complaints of seat firmness seemed to be folks with ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i can attest to their firmness. i had to adjust during each 4h leg of a recent road trip
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 09:30 AM   #20
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchboxM1 View Post

I'd like to know how you had three Land Rovers and no reliability issues I drove those things for 15 years everyone of them lived at the dealership where the BMW had zero faults you must've never take it in for service During those years I had three buybacks also all range rovers I had recently considered a defender till I was smart enough to watch the forms and boy did they have the buy backs still 15 years later I see nothing is changed
Ha, we we've had completely opposite luck. I was honestly told by dealer the biggest key was driving the LRs so regularly. Here in the Aspen valley, the trucks generally sit for weeks, months and longer raising all sorts of maintenance issues. Being an enthusiast, I know that likely wasn't your case.

2012 LR4 HSE Lux - 65k miles, nearly 3 years. Bought this basically because my Dad at the time would be 80 and I wanted it for a 2 week road trip with him. He thought these we the coolest vehicles. We pushed this thing to the max in CO over stuff I'll never drive again. This was the naturally-aspirated V8. Dead battery once in the garage around 50k, but that's to be expected.

2014 LR4 HSE Lux - 56k miles or so, 3+ years. First or second year of the V6 supercharger taken from the RRS. A few upgrades over prior model. Paddle shifters and drive controller knob that rose as the car started. No issues.

Oh, should qualify that dealer did not stock their cars with the lighting or front camera package at the time due to issues they didn't care for. This could have led to my greater success.

These kept insane residual value and I did very well each time.

2017 Discovery HSE Lux. Giant orange truck (terrible design). Too big and not very useful space or fun to drive, but no issues over 33k ownership. Again, not loaded, but everything worked perfectly, no issues.

2011 E70 35d - 30k miles (maybe). Brakes replaced twice. First time was out of the gate after a month or two. The squealing and grating was unbearable. Nice looking car though black on black with those staggered 20 inch wheels.

2019 G05 X-line off-road - 8k miles. Engine set fire on I-70 doing around 75mph. Ironically couldn't get roadside for hours, but we could rent a RRS immediately in Avon so I could explode at the dealership once we got to Denver. Missed an appointment at UC Health. Oh, and it was my birthday.

For some reason bought another BMW that day.

2020 G05 45i. 30k miles.

18k. Left stranded in near Montrose Co when we picked up our dog from the breeder. Punctured coolant tank driving on a basic dirt farm road. Air suspension raised. So much for being an suv. 12 hour roadside event to closest dealer I'm unfamiliar with. Awful experience. 3 mo repair "due to Covid" when someone just forgot to send a part.

19k. Left stranded at the office when the coolant valve popped off or broke. Had to be taken on a flatbed to CO springs from Aspen (again, not my dealer, 30 minutes closer, so roadside requires). You can imagine I was angry, but by now good relationship with great service manager. They said "this just happens from time to time." Great.

Just turned 30k nearing 3 years. Been great other than basic annoyances (namely tailgate malfunctions, front defrost film on windshield).

Otherwise love the car. Anxious for the M50i and desperate to get something other than black. Didn't have a choice after the 2019 died. RIP

Love the idea of the new Defender, but wish they would have done a few things differently like the tailgate, rear tire, a bit more space. The design packs are corny and it's a bit too trendy. And I'm sure being new there are issues, but I haven't heard any complaints here. I've never been a fan of the RR or RRS.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:47 AM   #21
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
I heard that the ventilated seats were less comfortable than without….and it makes sense given that for the air channels to remain open the seat bottom would have to be a bit firmer. When I sat them side by side I couldn’t tell that big a difference but most of the complaints of seat firmness seemed to be folks with ventilated seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i can attest to their firmness. i had to adjust during each 4h leg of a recent road trip
I know this is an older thread but looking for more feedback on seat comfort from anyone that's had both ventilated and non-ventilated. Wife and I are really mixed on adding these mainly due to decrease in seat comfort. Especially on longer runs. It's a cheap option but if the seats aren't as comfortable than that's a moot point. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:55 AM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

What others think really won't help you as it seems to be like deciding on a color. We have them and the seats are very comfortable. My wife says we should never get another road trip vehicle without the massage seats.
LuckyBrand1309.50