BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-11-2023, 02:50 PM   #1
mitsu13gman
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Introduction and a Couple Questions

Finally joined the community on Monday. 2020 Carbon Black X5 M50i, coffee Merino interior, DAP, tow, and (uniquely enough) the cargo area package. We’ll see how that holds up over my ownership time.

Loving it so far, but have two questions that search (both here and in the manual) have failed to fully resolve.

The first is the 12V power socket by the cup holders. The manual suggests that this is only on in “standby or drive-ready” state. I only have my Valentine 1 plugged in right now, but it seems to stay on even after I turn off the car and open the door. Does it stay on for some extended time (until I get out and lock it?) just want to make sure I won’t kill my battery if I leave it idle for a couple of days.

The second question is regarding getting navigation in the HUD with Apple Car Play. I have Car Play working and the navigation is shown on the main display. I just can’t find how to get it in the HUD, though everyone seems to say it just works?

I know these are silly questions, but I’m just trying to learn as much as I can!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aMIC31.00
      08-11-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the X5!

1. It will not stay powered up. I think it is 15 minutes or so, hopefully someone chimes in.

2. Detailed Apple Maps directions aren't shown in the HUD but there should be at least turn by turn showing. What version of iDrive are you running?
      08-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #3
2stacks
Rep
Drives: None

2. No third party maps are shown in the HUD as far as I know. Same applies to google maps.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #4
mitsu13gman
Rep

Sorry for the delayed response. I wanted to try rebooting iDrive to see if that would help, but it’s not working.

When I go to “General Settings” “Other” “Remote Software Upgrade,” it says the installed version is 11/2019.70

I assume this is the original software that shipped on the vehicle?

Edit to add - when I try to reboot iDrive by holding the power button, the display immediately shows the “BWM” power-off message and doesn’t seem to reboot. Is this due to the older software rev?

Last edited by mitsu13gman; 08-12-2023 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Edit to add
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 10:43 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsu13gman View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. I wanted to try rebooting iDrive to see if that would help, but it’s not working.

When I go to “General Settings” “Other” “Remote Software Upgrade,” it says the installed version is 11/2019.70

I assume this is the original software that shipped on the vehicle?

Edit to add - when I try to reboot iDrive by holding the power button, the display immediately shows the “BWM” power-off message and doesn’t seem to reboot. Is this due to the older software rev?
No, that is normal when you do it with the engine not running. I always recommend rebooting while driving since you will get the feedback of the screen turning off when the reboot starts. That is very old software, it may be worth trying to get your dealer to update it even if you have to pay them.
      08-13-2023, 11:52 AM   #6
mitsu13gman
Rep

Thank you!!! All the videos I found suggested it was supposed to behave like that with the engine off, I appreciate the affirmation!

And I suspected that would be the best course of action, having the update done by BMW. Given how old this is, it is DEFINITELY worth having a professional do the update. I have a very chaotic schedule this week, but I’ll plan to get it in next week.

Thank you for all of your help. I’ll update this thread once I’ve had the iDrive upgrade completed.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:54 PM   #7
mitsu13gman
Rep

Finally got to the dealer today. They said they couldn’t perform the iDrive update, but they set me up with a Genius to go through it and even he was surprised they said they couldn’t. We kicked it off OTA, and it has downloaded v.80, but it won’t let me install it yet. I assume I’m going to have to install a bunch of updates before I get to the current version, but it’s supposed to rain all weekend, so hopefully I can get a good start on it, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:57 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stacks View Post
2. No third party maps are shown in the HUD as far as I know. Same applies to google maps.
correction:
1) if iPhone connected via CarPlay, Apple Maps directions show in the HUD
2) if Android connected via Android Auto, Google Maps directions show in the HUD
2a) some Androids at certain software level when connected via Android Auto will show Waze directions in the HUD
Appreciate 3
      09-10-2023, 11:45 AM   #9
mitsu13gman
Rep

So the update has downloaded, and I keep getting the “You will be notified when the update can be installed” message. I hooked it up to a battery maintainer for an hour, and the message still didn’t change. I thought I remembered that a low battery voltage could prevent it from updating?

I’m an apartment-dweller, so leaving it on a maintainer overnight is not an option. I’ve driven it at least an hour a day since I downloaded the update - is there anything else I can do to coerce it to install?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 12:27 PM   #10
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Just give it time - it will eventually tell you the software is ready to install…. Apple Maps will show turn-by-turn as others have stated. Very cool that you got one with the now-gone-in-the-US luggage package.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #11
mitsu13gman
Rep

Okay, thank you for the encouragement. Of course, this is just the first update, to v.80, so I’ll probably have a few of these to go through before it’s fully up-to-date.

I’m on the fence with the luggage package - it’s certainly cool to show people. I am happy that I got a 2020, so it has the fog lights and the cargo-area rear-seat release levers.

The first few weeks I had the X, I had a ton of driving to do for work so I really didn’t get to appreciate it much. I’ve been able to drive it some lately for the sake of just driving, and I think they absolutely nailed it with this thing! In Sport mode it cracks off shifts as fast as I could ask for, with a satisfying little blow off valve “woosh.” And in Comfort mode, it just cruises so calm and smooth! It’s faster and more fun to drive than any performance car I’ve had to date, but also more quiet and relaxing than any cruiser I’ve had. I can’t imagine a better vehicle for my current place in life!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 02:12 PM   #12
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Make sure local network is turned on in the My BMW app settings. I had to turn this on to get car to prompt for update.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 02:22 PM   #13
rickeyc
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 x drive

Test drove an x5 yesterday. Yes Apple Maps with carplay shows up in hud. Unfortunately waze doesn’t. Maybe an update will allow rhis? Waze m shows the police and I haven’t used a radar detector in years though I really don’t speed anyways
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 02:27 PM   #14
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyc View Post
Test drove an x5 yesterday. Yes Apple Maps with carplay shows up in hud. Unfortunately waze doesn’t. Maybe an update will allow rhis? Waze m shows the police and I haven’t used a radar detector in years though I really don’t speed anyways
Apple has pretty decent speed check warnings too.

You can also keep Waze open in the background and get audio warnings.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 02:39 PM   #15
mitsu13gman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendrive View Post
Make sure local network is turned on in the My BMW app settings. I had to turn this on to get car to prompt for update.
Thank you for suggesting this. My issue isn't the prompt for the update, it’s already downloaded. I just need it to actually kick off the update now that it’s downloaded it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 02:04 PM   #16
mitsu13gman
Rep

So it’s been two weeks and the update still won’t install. Should I bug the dealer again? Or try a different dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 02:37 PM   #17
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
So it’s been two weeks and the update still won’t install. Should I bug the dealer again? Or try a different dealer?
Dealer should do it. Talk to the service manager, SA's usually avoid having to do what they are supposed to at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 03:14 PM   #18
mitsu13gman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walketed View Post
Dealer should do it. Talk to the service manager, SA's usually avoid having to do what they are supposed to at BMW.
Funny you should say that - it’s going back in tomorrow because they noticed the exhaust finishers were peeling and they are replacing them under warranty.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy they’re doing it voluntarily. But it would be nice if they ALSO did the thing I explicitly asked for…
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #19
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

BMW corporate policy is not to pay a dealer to update software unless it is a safety issue, or a warranty issue that can be fixed by installing the latest software. So, unless there is an issue you've complained about that can be fixed by new software, it would be done under warranty...otherwise, for goodwill, some dealerships will do it for you.

There has been at least one safety issue since 2019 software that should have directed them to update your software. I think it applied to all MY and X5's, but I'm not positive about that.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 04:47 PM   #20
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
Funny you should say that - it’s going back in tomorrow because they noticed the exhaust finishers were peeling and they are replacing them under warranty.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy they’re doing it voluntarily. But it would be nice if they ALSO did the thing I explicitly asked for…
Complain about something related to software, and they will have to update it. There are tons of bugs in the iDrive 8.. chose one, music stops, it disconnects from phone, parking camera disappears, etc... Since they don't have a clue of what the newer versions fix, they don't have much of a choice but to update and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 03:14 PM   #21
mitsu13gman
Rep

Sorry for taking so long to follow up on this. Work got crazy and then holidays and...

Anyway, I did take it in for another issue (the Driver Assistance was seeing ghosts everywhere,) so they did initiate a software update for me.

It turned out the original owner had never removed the vehicle from their BMW Garage, so it took me a few rounds with BMW NA support to get that fixed. But now that has all been taken care of, I am getting OTA updates just fine. Long journey, but it's nice to be under the factory warranty!

Speaking of which, the software update didn't fix the ADAS issues, so I borrowed a friend's 360-degree camera and strapped it to the driver's headrest. I was able to document multiple events of the system perceiving a vehicle cutting it off when the vehicle never departed from its lane.

They ended up replacing the main camera, but they also asked me to pay to replace the front plate bracket, since whatever was installed on the vehicle was about 5/16" too low and they thought it might be interfering. It cost me about $160 for parts and labor, but as a good-will gesture to get the camera replaced, I figured it was worth it.

Since they replaced the camera, I've been slowly increasing the sensitivity to the various safety systems, and on my last drive (into Boston, of all places!!!) it was perfectly well-behaved with everything set as early as possible. And being Boston, I got to use the Plus assistant in a traffic jam, which is just wonderful.

So overall, I stand by everything I originally said about how happy I am with the vehicle so far. And I will add that, with the camera fix, the Driving Assist is SO wonderful! I arrive MUCH more relaxed and energetic at my destinations than I have previously.

So thank you all for the help - I'm hoping I can stay trouble-free going forward!
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 03:12 AM   #22
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Okay, thank you for the encouragement. Of course, this is just the first update, to v.80, so I’ll probably have a few of these to go through before it’s fully up-to-date.

I’m on the fence with the luggage package - it’s certainly cool to show people. I am happy that I got a 2020, so it has the fog lights and the cargo-area rear-seat release levers.

The first few weeks I had the X, I had a ton of driving to do for work so I really didn’t get to appreciate it much. I’ve been able to drive it some lately for the sake of just driving, and I think they absolutely nailed it with this thing! In Sport mode it cracks off shifts as fast as I could ask for, with a satisfying little blow off valve “woosh.” And in Comfort mode, it just cruises so calm and smooth! It’s faster and more fun to drive than any performance car I’ve had to date, but also more quiet and relaxing than any cruiser I’ve had. I can’t imagine a better vehicle for my current place in life!
I really miss the luggage compartment pack, cover going back when top door of boot opened and disappearing into floor rather than having to remove and stow.
Appreciate 0