BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2024, 06:48 PM   #1
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

First successful OTA in a few years - how I did it.

After more than two years of having an OTA not install, today I was successful. On Saturday morning I got notified in iDrive that an update was available and it started downloading while I was out driving and it was at 55% when I got home.

In order to prepare I decided to clear out any errors and put the battery on the charger. There were two errors that were concerning the RSU in the head unit and I cleared those using Bimmerlink.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 6.37.10 PM.png
Views: 901
Size:  157.6 KB

I remember, have been searching for it and can't find it, reading that someone performed the update by clearing out errors while on the charger so this morning figured I would give that a try if needed.

I verified the RSU errors were gone and I took a ride to have the rest of the download complete, I downloaded it to my phone to make it faster, and when I got home parked in the driveway rather than the garage. Just like previous attempts, it did not offer the install.

I checked for errors with Bimmerlink and 038400 was present. I shut down iDrive and cleared the error. I started up iDrive, received no install prompt and when checked the error had returned. Did the procedure twice more to make sure it was consistent. I then shut down iDrive, opened the hood, got out of the car, went back in and the error had returned.

I cleared the error, shut down iDrive and went out and put the charger on it and waited for it to charge which was fairly quick. I kept the charger connected and went into the car. iDrive started and I got a message about the hood being open but no install message. I shut down iDrive and cleared the RSU error. When I started iDrive I not only got a notification about the hood being open but there was one saying the Update was ready to install. I clicked that and it installed without a problem.

At this point I was feeing good since the install was successful and I had re-coded everything without a problem and figured I would attack the M340i. On Sunday I got the notification that the update was downloading and yesterday while driving it finished uploading from my phone but when I got home there was no offer to install.

I put the X5 in the garage and backed the M340i out. Connected Bimmerlink and no errors in the head unit for the RSU. Decided to check the state of the 12v battery and it said it was only at 46%. My thinking was that it may be at such a low SOC that it didn't even try. I hooked up the charger and let it sit for an hour or so and went to try again with the charger hooked up.

When I got in there was no offer to install but now when I checked the for an error the RSU 038400 was present. I shut down iDrive, cleared the error, started up iDrive and .... nothing. Did the check and the error was present. Did it couple of more times but no dice.

Decided to leave it on the charger for a couple hours and try again. Keep in mind this is a mild hybrid so there sometimes are charging issues that folks have encountered. When I came back a few hours later the charger showed it was in maintaining mode and I was feeling good. That changed quickly as my process of shutting down iDrive, clearing the error and starting it up only resulted in no install and the error being registered. I decided to give up for the day but prior to doing that I checked the state of the 12v battery in Bimmerlink and it showed only 48%. This of course didn't make sense given the battery charger showed it was maintaining but as I said, it is a MH which has its share of charging issues.

I will be going out tomorrow so will use the M340i and see how things look in the afternoon or Friday morning. My charger has a 30amp boost mode and I may try that. Another thing to consider is that I have notification for my brake fluid needing to be changed so maybe that is effecting something in the process.

Will update should I find anything.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 03-06-2024 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Added smaller screenshot
Appreciate 9
nZtiZia4652.00
X3_Alaska142.00
eelnoraa2032.50
Ninja_H20.50
      03-06-2024, 09:02 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

You gave me hope after reading this i went straight out to the garage to try. No dice for me. I do see the same 038400 error that seems to keep coming back but I am able to clear it.

When you say you shut down the idrive how are you doing it? pressing the volume knob down for a few secs or locking the car with the key?
      03-06-2024, 09:27 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
You gave me hope after reading this i went straight out to the garage to try. No dice for me. I do see the same 038400 error that seems to keep coming back but I am able to clear it.

When you say you shut down the idrive how are you doing it? pressing the volume knob down for a few secs or locking the car with the key?
I press the volume knob to shutdown and startup iDrive. You said it didn't work, did you have a charger hooked up?
      03-06-2024, 10:36 PM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I did. I usually charge my car with the ctek every night so my battery always shows atleast mid 80% state of charge.

I’m wondering does the car need satellite signal to trigger the install? I’m doing all this inside of my garage where as in the past I always did the update outside.
Appreciate 1
eMeF1.50
      03-06-2024, 11:36 PM   #5
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 x40i

TurtleBoy maybe this one?

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=27

Curious though, why battery levels are too low? Using battery tender something i should consider early? I do tend to drive mostly short distance trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 07:02 AM   #6
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I did. I usually charge my car with the ctek every night so my battery always shows atleast mid 80% state of charge.
I've never measured SOC preost after putting a maintainer on it but are we saying that with a tender on it, the BMS will still only allow the battery to get up to 80'ish percentile.

I throw the chargers on the cars occasionally depending on the variables of use, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:19 AM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

I’m wondering does the car need satellite signal to trigger the install? I’m doing all this inside of my garage where as in the past I always did the update outside.
The vehicle doesn't use satellite signals, they use cell. It shouldn't need any. I always recommend to not do the update in a garage in case it gets bricked. It can be a pain to get it out.
      03-07-2024, 08:22 AM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushy_musashi View Post
TurtleBoy maybe this one?

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=27

Curious though, why battery levels are too low? Using battery tender something i should consider early? I do tend to drive mostly short distance trips.
That was the one. The vehicle uses brake energy regeneration so the battery only charges when you are coasting or braking. The exception to that is if it falls below a specific SOC, 60% it appears, then the alternator will kick in full time until it is at 80% from what we have seen. I have never seen whether the PHEVs operate that way or not.
      03-07-2024, 08:24 AM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
I've never measured SOC preost after putting a maintainer on it but are we saying that with a tender on it, the BMS will still only allow the battery to get up to 80'ish percentile.

I throw the chargers on the cars occasionally depending on the variables of use, etc.
I don't think that is the case as I have had readings above 80% and into the high 90's using Bimmerlink.
      03-07-2024, 09:06 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

With my ctek charger it usually keeps the soc right around 85-87% from what i've noticed. I've seen it as high as 91% one time but usually when the ctek shows its topped off and I scan the car the value is usually between 85-87%

FYI just sitting in the car with the engine off and radio running for maybe 10-15mins would drop the soc a few %
      03-07-2024, 09:49 AM   #11
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

I don't consider the Cteks the one all be all.....as I've never compared: measured SOC.....use it mainly as a topper. I used to use them religiously on the garage queens but had a weird issue .....can't fault if it was the charger or not.

I will say this. Not bulk charging but absorption phase....which is very low amps being sent down the line. Same car, if you take the 7A and the 4.5A Ctek, surely the bulk charging portion of the 7A will go faster. In the absorption phase, th 4.5A unit absorbs/runs alot longer in algorithm than the 7A. Often times. I'm using the 4.5A unit on the cars as my goal is topping off as full as can be, and for whatever reason the 4A unit does run longer ...easily 2X, maybe 3X at times on observement in the absorption phase
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:36 AM   #12
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The vehicle doesn't use satellite signals, they use cell. It shouldn't need any. I always recommend to not do the update in a garage in case it gets bricked. It can be a pain to get it out.
Make sure clear skies above the vehicle (so no garage) and a relatively flat surface a large enough incline (not sure of the number) will not meet the pre-requisites for the update.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:17 PM   #13
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

11/2023.50 installing now. I didn’t have to go through any shenanigans. Phone said update available. Drove car, it transferred to vehicle after a short drive and then car said ready to install after that drive. 2022 45e. Installing in garage because I like to live on the edge.
Appreciate 1
CGG171.50
      03-07-2024, 08:44 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
11/2023.50 installing now. I didn’t have to go through any shenanigans. Phone said update available. Drove car, it transferred to vehicle after a short drive and then car said ready to install after that drive. 2022 45e. Installing in garage because I like to live on the edge.
I have not collected any data on it but it seems like the 45e's usually die not have an issue installing the updates. Perhaps it is due to how the 12v battery is kept charged.
E91toG05342.50
      03-07-2024, 08:46 PM   #15
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

For the collective good, I note the following that happened after update:
- A few drivetrain errors occurred that cleared after first drive (I seem to remember last update doing the same)
- the dash display showed that all doors, hood and both upper and lower hatch were opened when they were in fact closed. Went around and checked everything. Lower hatch did not open when button pushed on lower hatch. I had to manually lower and then raise it and then everything worked properly and dash indicator functioned correctly.
- my first attempt to charge failed. Unplugged and replugged charger in and it is charging now. I also seem to remember this happening last time.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:01 PM   #16
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
After more than two years of having an OTA not install, today I was successful. On Saturday morning I got notified in iDrive that an update was available and it started downloading while I was out driving and it was at 55% when I got home.

In order to prepare I decided to clear out any errors and put the battery on the charger. There were two errors that were concerning the RSU in the head unit and I cleared those using Bimmerlink.

Attachment 3404456

I remember, have been searching for it and can't find it, reading that someone performed the update by clearing out errors while on the charger so this morning figured I would give that a try if needed.

I verified the RSU errors were gone and I took a ride to have the rest of the download complete, I downloaded it to my phone to make it faster, and when I got home parked in the driveway rather than the garage. Just like previous attempts, it did not offer the install.

I checked for errors with Bimmerlink and 038400 was present. I shut down iDrive and cleared the error. I started up iDrive, received no install prompt and when checked the error had returned. Did the procedure twice more to make sure it was consistent. I then shut down iDrive, opened the hood, got out of the car, went back in and the error had returned.

I cleared the error, shut down iDrive and went out and put the charger on it and waited for it to charge which was fairly quick. I kept the charger connected and went into the car. iDrive started and I got a message about the hood being open but no install message. I shut down iDrive and cleared the RSU error. When I started iDrive I not only got a notification about the hood being open but there was one saying the Update was ready to install. I clicked that and it installed without a problem.

At this point I was feeing good since the install was successful and I had re-coded everything without a problem and figured I would attack the M340i. On Sunday I got the notification that the update was downloading and yesterday while driving it finished uploading from my phone but when I got home there was no offer to install.

I put the X5 in the garage and backed the M340i out. Connected Bimmerlink and no errors in the head unit for the RSU. Decided to check the state of the 12v battery and it said it was only at 46%. My thinking was that it may be at such a low SOC that it didn't even try. I hooked up the charger and let it sit for an hour or so and went to try again with the charger hooked up.

When I got in there was no offer to install but now when I checked the for an error the RSU 038400 was present. I shut down iDrive, cleared the error, started up iDrive and .... nothing. Did the check and the error was present. Did it couple of more times but no dice.

Decided to leave it on the charger for a couple hours and try again. Keep in mind this is a mild hybrid so there sometimes are charging issues that folks have encountered. When I came back a few hours later the charger showed it was in maintaining mode and I was feeling good. That changed quickly as my process of shutting down iDrive, clearing the error and starting it up only resulted in no install and the error being registered. I decided to give up for the day but prior to doing that I checked the state of the 12v battery in Bimmerlink and it showed only 48%. This of course didn't make sense given the battery charger showed it was maintaining but as I said, it is a MH which has its share of charging issues.

I will be going out tomorrow so will use the M340i and see how things look in the afternoon or Friday morning. My charger has a 30amp boost mode and I may try that. Another thing to consider is that I have notification for my brake fluid needing to be changed so maybe that is effecting something in the process.

Will update should I find anything.
I'm facing the same problem, tried several things over the weekend but 038400 persists. I even charged the batteries directly etc, hold volume for idrive, clear errors in hgu.

I don't believe I tried to clear error with hood open and charger still connected, can you give exact steps? I just reconnected my charger, drove 500mi over the past few days which did nothing.

So far I'm thinking leave hood open and charger connected... ignition off, reset idrive with volume knob, clear hgu 038400 then cycle start button 3x and off again hoping to get notice?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:21 AM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntech View Post
I'm facing the same problem, tried several things over the weekend but 038400 persists. I even charged the batteries directly etc, hold volume for idrive, clear errors in hgu.

I don't believe I tried to clear error with hood open and charger still connected, can you give exact steps? I just reconnected my charger, drove 500mi over the past few days which did nothing.

So far I'm thinking leave hood open and charger connected... ignition off, reset idrive with volume knob, clear hgu 038400 then cycle start button 3x and off again hoping to get notice?
You don't have to do all of that, it was just what I said above. I cleared the error, shut down iDrive (quick press of the volume button), went out and put the charger on it and waited for it to charge.

I kept the charger connected and went into the car. iDrive started and I got a message about the hood being open but no install message. I shut down iDrive and cleared the RSU error. When I started iDrive (quick press of volume) I not only got a notification about the hood being open but there was one saying the Update was ready to install. I clicked that and it installed without a problem.

Good luck and hopefully it works for you.
      03-08-2024, 08:22 AM   #18
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Really? Does anyone find this acceptable? Hey TB, you know I'm a fan of BMW but what you had to go through is simply unacceptable. Yeah, I know a few others were successful without going through all the hoops you did, they just got lucky... but by large what you did is what most have had to do over the years. Is this the best BMW can do? I'm thinking that all the requirements are to prevent bricking but c'mon BMW, you have to make this process significantly better and repeatable.
Thanks for posting, at least this helps others who want to enter this three ring circus. I'd be embarrassed to tell my friends about BMW OTA process and the % of success. Mo Po to you
Appreciate 2
E91toG05342.50
WagonFan271.50
      03-08-2024, 08:23 AM   #19
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
You don't have to do all of that, it was just what I said above. I cleared the error, shut down iDrive (quick press of the volume button), went out and put the charger on it and waited for it to charge.

I kept the charger connected and went into the car. iDrive started and I got a message about the hood being open but no install message. I shut down iDrive and cleared the RSU error. When I started iDrive (quick press of volume) I not only got a notification about the hood being open but there was one saying the Update was ready to install. I clicked that and it installed without a problem.

Good luck and hopefully it works for you.
Thanks, I've been doing that to no avail. Soc shows 80% in bimmer tech.
      03-08-2024, 08:35 AM   #20
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Really? Does anyone find this acceptable? Hey TB, you know I'm a fan of BMW but what you had to go through is simply unacceptable. Yeah, I know a few others were successful without going through all the hoops you did, they just got lucky... but by large what you did is what most have had to do over the years. Is this the best BMW can do? I'm thinking that all the requirements are to prevent bricking but c'mon BMW, you have to make this process significantly better and repeatable.
Thanks for posting, at least this helps others who want to enter this three ring circus. I'd be embarrassed to tell my friends about BMW OTA process and the % of success. Mo Po to you
Their update process sucks and they should be embarrassed by it. At least for awhile they offered that it could be updated by the dealer but evidently when it was costing too much money they changed that.

It seems like the 8.5 update process is smoother or, as my brother noted, those are all newer vehicles with a newer battery so could that be the reason for the high success rate.

It was a beautiful day and I wanted to get out and do something, plus I took it as a challenge to see if I could get it installed, so I didn't mind fooling around with it.

Of course the M340i, which always had updated without issue, isn't updating and wasn't successful using that process. Right now Im looking out the window and it is 24 and snowing so will work on that one some other day.
      03-08-2024, 09:35 AM   #21
Daedalus0101101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

I haven't updated to 11/2023.50 quite yet but my system says its "ready" to. Just haven't pulled the trigger. I don't know if its luck, weather, goats on the highway or what but I was on the same 2021 version with X5 as you and worked the first time I tried. Not sure if I should chance it or not. Being in IT, I usually don't upgrade systems to the latest version as having dealt with numerous IT vendors over the years and there tends to be some obvious stupid bugs introduced that should have been caught in the programming part.
      03-08-2024, 09:37 AM   #22
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Their update process sucks and they should be embarrassed by it. At least for awhile they offered that it could be updated by the dealer but evidently when it was costing too much money they changed that.

It seems like the 8.5 update process is smoother or, as my brother noted, those are all newer vehicles with a newer battery so could that be the reason for the high success rate.

It was a beautiful day and I wanted to get out and do something, plus I took it as a challenge to see if I could get it installed, so I didn't mind fooling around with it.

Of course the M340i, which always had updated without issue, isn't updating and wasn't successful using that process. Right now Im looking out the window and it is 24 and snowing so will work on that one some other day.
Well, I think it's great you spent the time to post your experience and conjured up a good tag line for the topic in hopes others can find it and get some help from your testing. If you ever get it figured out and repeatable, you can compare that to how the user manual says to do it and see if it matches. However, the updates are so infrequent that the ability to assure repeatability is about zilch. My guess is the dealers also had/have a difficult time and were spending too much time getting it to work on a free basis and compounded by customers getting angry over the number of days they were without their car, so the dealers stopped the free updates. A case of a great idea poorly executed.
Appreciate 0