07-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #23
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripster View Post
What seat package did you get? Wondering if the contour and uber configurable ones are better.
I got the regular Vernasca leather seats; I didn't opt for the luxury seating package and that includes the multi-contour seats that can perhaps be adjusted better. Oversight on my part!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #24
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Thanks smovva,
Your post was especially helpful to me as I too have a 2011 X3 35i and am planning on going for the G05. This forum has been very helpful in an educational way.
No way would I have placed an order for the G05 without many months of reading this forum and seeing the variety of opinions and first hand experiences! It's a wonderful resource!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #25
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Good rundown - thanks! "Disappointing that there is no brake intervention for cross traffic rear." I was under the impression that braking worked fore and aft for cross traffic?
I thought so as well, but as others have also pointed out in these forums, it seems to be a software driven feature and my current version of software doesn't seem to have enabled it. It gives me a warning, and a late one at that, but does not apply brakes for rear cross traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #26
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Yeah, this was my first impression as well when I drove the X5 but I believe its like buying a new set of tires. The old set were worn out, noisy and rough. Then you put a new set on and you believe you have a brand new car! Quiet and smooth.
The X5 is quiet and smooth, all engine components are new, gears are new and the car is refined, giving the illusion that its slower but in reality its not. Just like in reality your old car with new tires isn't any different than it was with the old worn out tires, its all in the tires, not the car.
A good perspective! I do keep speeding in the X5 as its so quiet inside that it fools your sense of speed - so you are probably right! Break in period ends sometime this week mileage wise so I plan to floor it and see what it can do!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #27
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
No way would I have placed an order for the G05 without many months of reading this forum and seeing the variety of opinions and first hand experiences! It's a wonderful resource!
Thanks! Currently on our Q7s so I'll miss that. Audi left out some minor technical details in their Q7 sales pitch - like no parking Hold Button, or real Auto Parking Assist, or headlight washers, or cupholder covers on US models, although their ads show these features on Q7s (neglecting to mention these were only on European models); nothing to do with US regulations. Seems maybe BMW "forgot to mention" some things as well, not readily apparent in ads or reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #28
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I spent about half an hour at the dealer today checking out the trunk space of the X3, X5 and X7. The X3 definitely looks narrower in width than the X5 but the X5 looks quite narrow in height between the loading floor and the retractable cover, much narrower than the X3. The X7 looks surprisingly narrow in width and the loading floor is very high eating into the space but it’s very looooong. Still not sure if the X3 will be sufficient for us, I need to bring one home at a test drive and try with some luggage .

I also spent some time in the driver seats, just on the lot since it was peak hour bumper to bumper traffic and a test drive would be a complete waste. Hmmm...I came away a bit cold of the X5 and X7 to be honest, the feeling is more bus than sport ( relative to our Cayenne ) with a rather high seating position and oversized everything except the small steering wheel. The X3 felt better but lacked seat comfort and refinement vs. our Cayenne ( this should be better in the X3M ).

So the race is still very open, no conclusion yet for sure. I need to go take a closer look at the new Cayenne next and then later in fall start test driving back to back when the X3M becomes available at my dealer and hopefully the X5’s teething issues are history.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa311.50
      07-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #29
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

[QUOTE=solstice;

So the race is still very open, no conclusion yet for sure. I need to go take a closer look at the new Cayenne next and then later in fall start test driving back to back when the X3M becomes available at my dealer and hopefully the X5’s teething issues are history.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to your analysis as I have the Cayenne on my radar as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #30
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I spent about half an hour at the dealer today checking out the trunk space of the X3, X5 and X7. The X3 definitely looks narrower in width than the X5 but the X5 looks quite narrow in height between the loading floor and the retractable cover, much narrower than the X3. The X7 looks surprisingly narrow in width and the loading floor is very high eating into the space but it’s very looooong. Still not sure if the X3 will be sufficient for us, I need to bring one home at a test drive and try with some luggage .

I also spent some time in the driver seats, just on the lot since it was peak hour bumper to bumper traffic and a test drive would be a complete waste. Hmmm...I came away a bit cold of the X5 and X7 to be honest, the feeling is more bus than sport ( relative to our Cayenne ) with a rather high seating position and oversized everything except the small steering wheel. The X3 felt better but lacked seat comfort and refinement vs. our Cayenne ( this should be better in the X3M ).

So the race is still very open, no conclusion yet for sure. I need to go take a closer look at the new Cayenne next and then later in fall start test driving back to back when the X3M becomes available at my dealer and hopefully the X5’s teething issues are history.
solstice, here's the 2011 X3 vs 2019 X5 cargo area space dim's. Yup, the X5 floor to under cargo cover is disappointing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0